Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front negative camber
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Front negative camber Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I was wondering how to have negative camber in front of a link pin car, so I've seen that FV's and 356's used to have offset link pin bushings to achieve that.

Do you guys know were can I purchase a set of those offset bushings? I really would like to have negative camber on my 54, it will be nicer on the corners

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Visit my workshop site and leave a like:

https://www.facebook.com/talleresalacreu/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Front negative camber Reply with quote

When we were circle tracking a Ghia we had a local machine shop make some for the car.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Front negative camber Reply with quote

I got mine from Lybarger but he retired and has since passes. The FV shop that built my transaxle gets them made. Vallis Motorsports in Welland, Ontario, Canada. 905-384-0016 I have them on the front of my buggy, huge improvement.

brad
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Front negative camber Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I got mine from Lybarger but he retired and has since passes. The FV shop that built my transaxle gets them made. Vallis Motorsports in Welland, Ontario, Canada. 905-384-0016 I have them on the front of my buggy, huge improvement.

brad

Thanks, I will send them an email and see if they can ship them to Spain, where I'm from

How much negative camber does your front wheels have now guys?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Front negative camber Reply with quote

I got -2.5* offset bushings and I now have -1* camber.

One thing you will have to watch is, now that the front will turn in better, you may find the back will want to come around easier and send you for a loop. The positive camber was built into the front ends so that the front would understeer and the car would plow through a corner rather than the tail heavy car go into a spin.

Call Bill instead of emailing him, he is usually very busy, he prepares and maintains a lot of cars.

brad
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Front negative camber Reply with quote

If you don't mind mounting heim joints in bending (An engineering no-no) this is the easiest way. 18mm heims and a big ol 18mm bolt.

Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Front negative camber Reply with quote

petrol punk wrote:
If you don't mind mounting heim joints in bending (An engineering no-no) this is the easiest way. 18mm heims and a big ol 18mm bolt.

That was my first idea, but I heard that the link pin suspension needs a radius between the links for strength. That system is perfect for adjustability, but the shaft starts to flex and deform because of the lack of the radius reinforcement.

Although, I would like to fabricate this setup in the future. The only thing that concerns me is the attachment to the heim joint threads with the trailing arm, I don't know how to do it.

And the offset bushings will be a lot cheaper too Very Happy

TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Front negative camber Reply with quote

petrol punk wrote:

that's pretty cool!
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Front negative camber Reply with quote

I do run this heim joint setup as well, but the travel of the heim joints is not enough, at least I could not get it setup correctly. It hits the ends when you drive it hard on a bumpy road. also steering is not perfect, it gets heavy because the heim joints are not made for it. My set is for sale if you would like to give it a try. Made of the chromobilydeen steel.

although I have to say it is such a big improvement, I never have been so quick thru a corner in a '57 swingaxle beetle

I do run a ARB 19mm in the front and 16mm in the rear! NICE! Spax adjustable all round and vredestein sprint classic 155R15 front and 165R15 rear

Last edited by JeeWee on Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Front negative camber Reply with quote

JeeWee wrote:
I do run this heim joint setup as well, but the travel of the heim joints is not enough, at least I could not get it setup correctly. It hits the ends when you drive it hard on a bumpy road. also steering is not perfect, it gets heavy because the heim joints are not made for it. My set is for sale if you would like to give it a try. Made of the chromobilydeen steel.

I'll send you a PM for more details, it may suit my needs

petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Front negative camber Reply with quote

JeeWee wrote:

although I have to say it is such a big improvement, I never have been so quick thru a corner in a '57 swingaxle beetle

I do run a ARB 19mm in the front and 16mm in the rear! NICE! Spax adjustable all round and vredestein sprint classic 155R15 front and 165R15 rear

I had wondered about that, when you look up the misalignment angle of a typical heim joint and figure you have a 6" swing on the trailing arms, it adds up to less than 4" of wheel travel which is definitely less than stock. There are off the shelf high-misalignment heims out there that would support over 6" of suspension travel, but as far as I can tell they're in inch size, so you have to go machine it out to 3/4" or neck down to 5/8".
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Front negative camber Reply with quote

cool, that would help me out in this setup! The adjustment is amazing! I do run HD heim joints which is motorsport quality, ordered in the Netherlands:

https://www.chassisparts.com/nl-nl/stangkoplager-h...count%3d20

Do you have any URL with the 6"+ travel? I'll have that machined then
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Front negative camber Reply with quote

Here's a McMaster link to a 3/4" version. They have different sizes on their website. I actually have some 5/8" ones I was going to use for long travel truck tie rods to give you an idea. No branding on them so I'm not sure who actually manufactures them.

https://www.mcmaster.com/6960t5-6960T51

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: