Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus rear drum with 5x130 pattern for reduction box tranny
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Almanor23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Bus rear drum with 5x130 pattern for reduction box tranny Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have a 1961 bus, with a big nut, reduction box tranny and 14" Porsche, Fuch wheels. In the rear, I have an alum conversion plate to adapt from the wide 5 to the 5x130 Porsche pattern.

I used this setup for years with a wimpy little 185 70R 14 tire and things cleared OK, but I want to run a little taller/meatier tire.

I just got new rear tires mounted up (Hankook Vanstar 195R14's) and with the thickness of the adapter plate, the tires won't clear the stock wheel openings -they rub the outer body, and it looks like even if I went with 185's, the clearance would still be very tight.

Does anyone make a bus drum drilled for 5x130 pattern? If so, I could ditch the adapter plates and the tires would clear. I am planning to do a brake job anyway, so now is the time.

I can find 5x130 drum's for Bug's, but what about buses?

Rich
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus rear drum with 5x130 pattern for reduction box tranny Reply with quote

no one makes 5x130 drums for reduction boxes. Take a look at your drums and you will see that the center is too large to accommodate a wheel with a small center like Fuchs. Also, the axle nut would be poking out way past the center cap.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Almanor23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus rear drum with 5x130 pattern for reduction box tranny Reply with quote

I found these from a seller in the UK, pricey though:

https://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=13049&xSec=3232

These would allow the rim to bolt up, but you raise a valid point with regard to the axle nose poking thru the wheel.

Otherwise, maybe I can find a thinner adapter plate, the one I have is approx. 1.125" thick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus rear drum with 5x130 pattern for reduction box tranny Reply with quote

sure seems like an awful lot of material machined off of those drums, you can see the old ribs still present. Im sure they're a new casting but I wonder how thick they are at the inside corner of the cut.
Almanor23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus rear drum with 5x130 pattern for reduction box tranny Reply with quote

Yeah, they do seemed to be cut back quite a bit.

I think I will swap the 195's for some 185's, and I should get by with just a sliver of space. At some point, I will probably go back to steel wheels so an easy solution for right now makes the most sense for me.

Thanks for the comments.

Rich
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bus rear drum with 5x130 pattern for reduction box tranny Reply with quote

these drums are from CSP, so they do have to pass german inspection, i would not hesitate to use them
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: