Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing a Subaru into a Auto Bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hansie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Installing a Subaru into a Auto Bus Reply with quote

Installing a Subaru into a Auto Bus using a .003 trans. I need information on the swap , please. Any help Please.
Thanks Karl
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Subaru into a Auto Bus Reply with quote

it's a steep learning curve for a successful swap. the info is out there, just search a bit and see what you feel comfortable with. you are going to want to get that trans re-geared...Subaru's don't like being strung out at 4k+ on the highway.

search my name, I've done a bunch

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
hansie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Subaru into a Auto Bus Reply with quote

Thanks Skills
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Subaru into a Auto Bus Reply with quote

I helped a gentleman restore and convert a 78 riviera automatic. We put in a 2.2 from a 2000 outback. Used a kennedy engineering adapter. Small car did the wiring harness. I had a custom radiator built that just fits up in between the frame rails ( air ducts removed), the ports are one on each side pointing rearward. Used the suby fans on the bottom pulling air down. I made a shroud but we never used it as temps were good. I used marine grade rubber coolant lines to the engine. Used vanagon coolant tanks ( if doing it again probly go rmw tank). Once we turned our attention to the trans for a reseal we found his ring and pinion were toast. I cant believe how bad they were, that trans had to have been just screaming! Luckily for him I had an 87 auto parts vanagon. We resealed it and put it in. Had to change the front mount and removed the oil cooler looping it temporarily for a remote cooler later. It was nice to drive. I only drove it at highway speeds a bit during the month i drove it while finishing the interior. 18 miles to town half of which is on the highway, 55mph speed limit. Average temps 195. Im sure skilz is right about gearing, actually we never even checked the gearing in that trans as it was our best option at the time. Sadly that gentleman died before getting to enjoy the van. His widow now is starting to drive it in the summer, I go and give the van spring check up for her. Her brother visited from outside last summer, he's a mechanic. He took it for a road trip and said its great to drive.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Subaru into a Auto Bus Reply with quote

there are ALOT of vanagon automatics running around on stock gearing with engine conversions. the Subie is 'mostly' just fine with the RPMs of the 010.
you can get different R&P sets for the 1976-1991 010 automatic. I don't know if that also fit the 73-75 003. but you can get a T-III 003 with a higher R&P ratio.

you can make some adjustment with larger diameter tires. but not really a huge rpm drop like a R&P swap.

https://countryhomescampers.com/product-tag/automatic-transmission/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Subaru into a Auto Bus Reply with quote

lived up by Epperson knob fr around 15 years. Remember a garage called "Wendys VW' right up the street from the NAPA in Homer. Mechanic named Jeff , from Cali. Real tough country on vehicles. Plenty of Subys around homer.
chittychittybangbang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Subaru into a Auto Bus Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
it's a steep learning curve for a successful swap. the info is out there, just search a bit and see what you feel comfortable with. you are going to want to get that trans re-geared...Subaru's don't like being strung out at 4k+ on the highway.

search my name, I've done a bunch

Not true, I've owned a 1.6 EA71 and a 2.5 EJ251, ran them both at 3-4k on long road trips, the things are indestructible! They do get much better gas mileage at lower RPM's.

Also, what happened to people doing Corvair swaps?

The question of whether the resulting usage is "correct" or "incorrect" depends on one's notion of correctness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Subaru into a Auto Bus Reply with quote

chittychittybangbang wrote:

Not true

ok Laughing

there is a reason why Subaru's cruise at 3-3200 rpms @70. i'm not going to get into the argument this will eventually wind up in because this is where all the back yard guys that throw junk together that looks like this

Quote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DSC_0828 by jaycanode, on Flickr

DSC_0821 by jaycanode, on Flickr

DSC_0818 by jaycanode, on Flickr

DSC_0825 by jaycanode, on Flickr

DSC_0823 by jaycanode, on Flickr
[/img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/terravision/8926001841/[img]

In the above photos you can see the Saab 900 pressurized coolant expansion tank. This piece is vital for self burbing sytems. I pressurized this tank and forced coolant into the system for initial coolant bleeding. Note also the Fuel Injection "return" line penetrating firewall. This line goes into the stock VW "vent" gas line. Also note relocated igniter/coil to firewall.

DSC_0827 by jaycanode, on Flickr

The above spaghetti mess shows Walbro FI pump and stock Suby fuel filter. All emissions and evap stuff were removed. (I live in rural CO...no smog check) Also tapped into stock VW alternator circuitry here.

DSC_0815 by jaycanode, on Flickr

Pic above illustrates my Radiator setup. Crude and functional would be an appropriate description here. My radiator "cage" doubles as a very functional double bicycle rack. Coolant lines are 1 1/4" inch SS and follow much the same route as stock VW heater vents did. Radiator is a double row VW sirocco style radiator.

DSC_0817 by jaycanode, on Flickr

DSC_0837 by jaycanode, on Flickr

Above you can see those coolant lines as well as the retrofitted JC whitney style heater installed in the cab. The heater works great!

DSC_0835 by jaycanode, on Flickr

Above is the CPU "nest" below the sleeping area. Firewall is just behind it. This by far was the most daunting aspect of the conversion. Hours of internet research, diagrams, etc...Should I have just sent the harness out to Tom Shiels in Canada? Maybe, although my friend Chris Myles did a great job sorting and weeding! But heck if I didn't get a masters degree in Subaru electronics during this process! I also had to provide a vehicle speed sensor solution to make this engine happy. I first tried the SamllCar bolt on but it never worked correctly and then, because of its exposed position on the axle, was destroyed by a tumbleweed (Yes a tumbleweed) I ran over. I then opted for a VSS simulator provided by Enginewiring.com. (Works perfect!)

DSC_0833 by jaycanode, on Flickr

Currently 4000 rpm will get me about 65 MPH. My goal would be 75 MPH at 3500. I know, I know, buses should not break the 70 MPH barrier, but its nice to have this option. As you all know NO ONE likes to be behind a VW bus, its like an inferiority complex or something. It is soooo fun to leave tailgaters in the dust now, mouths agape. I feel I can't help myself given the importunity.

this is what the typical swapper ends up with. looks great, huh? I stand by my statement that subarus don't like to be strung out. it's all in the combination. I have a LOT of converted bays running around...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Subaru into a Auto Bus Reply with quote

really the DIY/junkyard swap quality has nothing to do with running rpms as much as just running. you're just poking fun at the lesser mechanically and financially qualified..

and if it runs/ran in that DIY 4th grade arrangement for any length of time or miles straight it's a TESTAMENT to how well the subaru runs and is adaptive. Wink

most who lack the money or skills are over achievers in ambition

there's no and never will be a question to your skillset and level of quality.. but it's a small % of subie swaps in vanagons running around regeared..
as mentioned the vanagon AT has the same stock R&P as the 76-79bay AT.
and actually the same/similar as the 76-79 bay 4spd.

higher rpms can/will lead to increased oil consumption in some/maybe all subaru boxer motors.. I know some years were more of an oil issue from the factory in the cars even when new..

upgraded R&P solutions are available in 76-91 automatic and all years 4spd. I'm still not aware if the 73-75 AT can take the R&P upgrade.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Subaru into a Auto Bus Reply with quote

i'm not making fun of anyone. the o/p and I spoke. I want him to succeed.

running a Subaru at 4k+ isn't doing them any favors...in wear, oil consumption and cooling.

go take an outback on the highway at 4k and map the coolant temp. I did. it wasn't pretty.

the vanagon can get away with that to a point...as it holds 87 gallons of coolant...so it masks the issues.

when posts go the way this one is heading, people wonder why i'm tight lipped about how I do what I do. I am willing to bet I spent more time money and effort into reverse engineering these to survive long term in a vehicle that had no cooling system, let alone gearing that matches that of the donor.

people get away with this shit all the time...I get it. but the vast majority come back an ask why they have this or that issue at the end of it.... when it's "too late" and they don't have the $$ for a re gear. even DIY is an ez 7-10k these days...

so...if you want to putt around on stock gearing...go for it. the timing components barely make it to the spec'd intervals anyway....the cogged idler sounds like grit at 100k....so 1/2 all of your service intervals if you want to keep one of these on boil all the time.

it all depends on the expectations of the swapper. this guy just about nailed it in my opinion

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

from his thread:

Vee Dub Nut wrote:

No derail.. all good info. My trans was essentially free since I flipped a Bus in the process and swapped my stock trans for its re-geared 091. For the engine side, I bought a few things (engine hanger, oil pan, TB reverser, and header), but DIY'ed everything else. I did however do the new short block thing, so my engine swap all in was ~8.5k (not counting the duplicate cooling system parts I've purchased honing in on my final setup).

so he had 8500 plus cooling system #2 and did horse trading for a reworked trans...because he found out the gearing sucked.

just putting it out there so the o/p has all the info before he gets balls deep and has to go backwards. sorry for calling it the way I see it....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
XXX/Rx/RnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Subaru into a Auto Bus Reply with quote

Your ATF will boil without a ATF cooler. When vanagons water cooled came out VW added a cooler to the auto box for a reason. I found a 090 and done the Audi upgrade cause my 010 was cooked after my first long trip with the Ecotec. Fan and T-stat on a big cooler that added almost 2 qts of fluid. More info in the Vanagon forum on automatics and Subi's.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Subaru into a Auto Bus Reply with quote

mike77777 wrote:
lived up by Epperson knob fr around 15 years. Remember a garage called "Wendys VW' right up the street from the NAPA in Homer. Mechanic named Jeff , from Cali. Real tough country on vehicles. Plenty of Subys around homer.

I'm very close to there. I built a kitchen for one of the Eppersons in Anchor point. The N.F. is tough on cars, I know. Beautiful inlet view though.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Subaru into a Auto Bus Reply with quote

skills- 87 gallons of coolant? is that a fat-finger or exaggeration? It cant really hold 87 gallons!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Subaru into a Auto Bus Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
skills- 87 gallons of coolant? is that a fat-finger or exaggeration? It cant really hold 87 gallons!

Laughing yes, exaggeration for sure. point being when you have a vehicle like a vanagon with 2x heater cores, piping that runs front to rear and a pretty large front mounted radiator cooling issues can be masked. a stock Subaru (car) holds just under 2 gallons from a dead empty fill.

remember the game excitebike? you could push the bike harder (more rpm's) and it would overheat.

Link

every car on the planet has a "operating range" in terms of RPM's. same holds true with conversions. I kind of knew this going into my bus and opted for a 091 out of the gate, which led me to clutch and try to find 5th...which obviously wasn't there. proving that no stock bus trans is ideal in the gearing department

what works for an air-cooled spinning at 4500 doesn't work for many watercooled engines. when I did my swap, I learned a LOT about cooling strategies and how to find that balance.

one of the things I was able to get schooled on was nascar cooling. these engines run flat out at 7-9k for 4-500 miles depending on the race. old technology was restrictor plates in place of a thermostat and modern tech affords the luxury of PWM electric water pumps.

so, it's all in the combination. I try to advise the DIY'er as best as I can...I made all of the mistakes they are about to make.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Subaru into a Auto Bus Reply with quote

so a skills subie conversion is all B button with no side of the track timeouts.
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Subaru into a Auto Bus Reply with quote

Excitebike was awesome
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Subaru into a Auto Bus Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
so a skills subie conversion is all B button with no side of the track timeouts.

more like Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start Laughing

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: