Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flywheel: resurface or replace?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel: resurface or replace? Reply with quote

Balancing is well worth it. I've built stock engines that run so smoothly you dont know they are running unless you see the fan belt moving.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel: resurface or replace? Reply with quote

virusdoc wrote:
Good news: I found a semi-local machine shop (less than an hour drive from home) that can properly machine both surfaces of my stock flywheel for $35.

He will also balance the entire rotating assembly for me (flywheel, pressure plate, crank, rods, pistons). The balancing may be unnecessary, but it's not that expensive and I've worked with too many unbalanced centrifuges in my career to be not do it. At 3000-4000 rpm, a small percent imbalance makes for a really rough spin. I have to imagine the same is true for the lower end of an engine, and that unequal force can't be good for bearings and other force-bearing parts.

I pretty much agree about balancing reciprocating parts. Most any careful person can do a lot for a motor just balancing the pistons and rod.
Electronic scales are pretty cheap right now.
Critical balancing of the rods need to balance the END WEIGHTS, rather than overall. So that takes a little special rigging.
I would actually be rather surprised if you find a lot of correction on a factory crank.
(I'm a big fan of fully counterweighted cranks, but that's kinda beyond the scope of this thread.)
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel: resurface or replace? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Balancing is well worth it. I've built stock engines that run so smoothly you dont know they are running unless you see the fan belt moving.

Thanks for the tip Glenn. I will make sure my guy balances the fan belt too. Wink
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel: resurface or replace? Reply with quote

back to the 1st gear shudder...make sure you have enough pre load on the bowden tube
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: