Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early motor Serial Number help
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Early motor Serial Number help Reply with quote

I found an old side draft motor the other day, and I need some help identifying it. It appears to be complete except for the exhaust. Its a bit crusty, and I'm having a hard time deciphering the serial number. It starts with a 06XXX, and i cant tell if there's a 6th digit or not - meaning i'm not sure if it s 6000 numbered motor or a 60000 numbered motor. I think if it was a 600000 numbered motor, it would be dual carb, so that rules that out.

With that being said, does anyone know the differences between a 6000 motor, and 60000 motor?

Or, will a 6000 series motor have two zeroes in the front?

Thanks in advance!! Wheelie Pete
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Early motor Serial Number help Reply with quote

O 1961-1965 1500cc

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Early motor Serial Number help Reply with quote

Yep yep. I read that too.

Is there a link to a picture of the serial number to a 6000 series and 60000 series number? That would help. I looked and couldn't find one. Thanks! Wheelie pete
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Early motor Serial Number help Reply with quote

A 60000 engine would have 2 zeros in front 0060000
Here's 0019885:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I believe a 6000 engine would have 3 zeros - 0006000

Since you say it's pretty complete, post some pics.
If it's still pretty original, we might be able to tell from some of the other attributes if it's super early.

Does it have the 2-piece oil cooler?
Like this:

Edit: This isn't the best check as this oil cooler was used until Engine #65xxx
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Early motor Serial Number help Reply with quote

Thanks Everett! I'll post pictures in a little bit! Merry xmas
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Early motor Serial Number help Reply with quote

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Early motor Serial Number help Reply with quote

I can't read that serial number any better myself.
Maybe hit it with some steel wool?

I can see it doesn't have the early oil cooler.

It does look pretty original, you could look at the date stamp on the bottom of the coil and see the month/year on that and get another general idea of the date of the engine. Same with the generator.

Here's the coil on my '63

Date stamp thread with info
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279505

For instance, mine above is 3U
From that thread above, 3U = March, 1963
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Early motor Serial Number help Reply with quote

That engine looks to be from a 1965 model. It has the early fuel pump & fan housing that has a clip on belt cover. Also hard to tell in the photo but the cylinder tin is the longer version at the base of the intake manifold. '63 & earlier would have the shorter tin for the earlier engine compartment. I cannot read the # on the block either. The air cleaner will also have a stamped month & year on the side.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Early motor Serial Number help Reply with quote

rustyfastback wrote:
That engine looks to be from a 1965 model. It has the early fuel pump & fan housing that has a clip on belt cover. Also hard to tell in the photo but the cylinder tin is the longer version at the base of the intake manifold. '63 & earlier would have the shorter tin for the earlier engine compartment. I cannot read the # on the block either. The air cleaner will also have a stamped month & year on the side.

The first two numbers are 06. That would put it at Aug 64 build for a 65 model year. All that makes sense! Thanks! Wheelie pete
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: