Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche Engine Case Line Bore
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Porsche Engine Case Line Bore Reply with quote

Does anyone here mess with 911 engines??

Do I need to skim the case halves before opening the bores back up???

Any old timers that used to do this stuff??

This thread had some pretty good info, and the guy has way more tools than I do.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/deckel-maho-...kSrqANIMH0
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Engine Case Line Bore Reply with quote

fat performance-rimco offers that service.you can ask them.
714-637-2889 fat performance rimco.com

Steve
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Engine Case Line Bore Reply with quote

The 911 engines I built just had the tunnel bored out, the cases werent shaved. I dont think you can because of the way some of the things like the oil pump go into the case.

brad
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Engine Case Line Bore Reply with quote

http://www.competitioneng.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Engine Case Line Bore Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
The 911 engines I built just had the tunnel bored out, the cases werent shaved. I dont think you can because of the way some of the things like the oil pump go into the case.

brad

From my understanding, they skim the case halves and then line bore it and then open up all the other holes. Everything remains "standard" in size when the case is skimmed.

Last edited by Ian on Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Engine Case Line Bore Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2332800

Quote:
seam sanded and line-bored back to standard,

Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Engine Case Line Bore Reply with quote

I'm done mailing engine parts out to get machine work done to them. I will talk about that later, but I simply won't do it anymore. Whether it's the machine shops or the shipping companies, I just can't afford to have more parts show up broken, especially P car parts.

So, I am trying to figure out what I need to do.
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Engine Case Line Bore Reply with quote

sgmalt46 wrote:

Steve

RIMCO/Fat Performance is a joke. I won't deal with them ever again.
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche Engine Case Line Bore Reply with quote

Yes you will most likely have to skim the case halves and line bore back to standard because complete sets of oversize shells are very hard to find and big $$. The Glyco aftermarket standards are hit and miss also. Check with Stoddard to see if they can get any oversize and be sitting down.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche Engine Case Line Bore Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
sgmalt46 wrote:

Steve

I watched a youtube vid of them drilling for case savers and was astounded to see that they didn't bolt the case to the table. It was just rattling around as the drill bit went in.

https://fatperformance-rimco.com/collections/machine-shop-services
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Engine Case Line Bore Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
sgmalt46 wrote:

Steve

I totaly agree. ripoff.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Engine Case Line Bore Reply with quote

rodeking wrote:
Yes you will most likely have to skim the case halves and line bore back to standard because complete sets of oversize shells are very hard to find and big $$. The Glyco aftermarket standards are hit and miss also. Check with Stoddard to see if they can get any oversize and be sitting down.

To be honest, if the price of the bearings is going to make you faint, then the 911 engines isn't the car or engine for you. The last engine I did went out the door for $14K and that was before Porsche prices went through the roof.
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Engine Case Line Bore Reply with quote

I own a '79 930 and an '88 930 slant, haven't fainted yet, a lot of grimaces though when putting together part lists.

The problem is the oversize mains. I just looked at Stoddard and they have .25 over /.50 under mains 2-7 at 77+ per half so there's $930 for twelve halves. Then the #1 thrust .25 over is 70 each half and the #8 nose is 130-200 depending on year and size. So there's 1200 plus for the mains only not including align bore cost. (400 at Ollies for 1st over).

Ollies charges 850-875 to cut the cases and bore to standard plus the std OD bearings (100-300 depending on std/std or std/under) so pick your poison.

Don't know if the OP has a mag or aly case. If it's a 2.7 mag it's not unusual to have to put several thou in it for machining if you pay someone to do it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: