Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

early roo bars on a late bus?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: early roo bars on a late bus? Reply with quote

can someone familiar with early and late undercarriage configs comment on the fitment of these early fitting bars possibly fitting a 73? thanks!
https://saginaw.craigslist.org/pts/d/midland-vw-bus-crash-bars-roo-bars/7022635861.html
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: early roo bars on a late bus? Reply with quote

54 people were here and no one has any input? it looks like the roo bar attatches by going over the frame/rails underneath, and then some screws by the splash pan. are the rails/frame the same in early and late?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: early roo bars on a late bus? Reply with quote

I tried for years to track down stateside a Roo bar for my 74 Westy. With no luck of course. There were at the time (couple of years ago) some Early Roo Bars out west, California and Oregon. Shipping was aa complete nightmare, so it never materialized. From my research, yes the early and late bay bars are different. The points of attachment are different because VW changed the frame horns for crash purposes in late 72/73.

I could’ve used these bars a couple years ago for my 74. Still would love to have one, but now all my money is/has been going into my 68.
FWIW,
Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: early roo bars on a late bus? Reply with quote

Find a custom 4x4 shop in your area and show them a picture of this, then ask them to take a look at how your bumper is mounted. They should be able to quite easily make you a late bay version of this. It's probably the least complicated thing to a proper fab shop as the design is so simple.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: early roo bars on a late bus? Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
Find a custom 4x4 shop in your area and show them a picture of this, then ask them to take a look at how your bumper is mounted. They should be able to quite easily make you a late bay version of this. It's probably the least complicated thing to a proper fab shop as the design is so simple.

never used a fab shop.... what do you think I would be in for time and materials?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: early roo bars on a late bus? Reply with quote

Apologies I read the ad wrong in the link. The lower wing section of those bars seem to be going to the bolted areas for the bumper. The center flanges would attach to the frame rails.

Completely different than the late bay.
Cost for fab? $500 be my guess.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: early roo bars on a late bus? Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:

never used a fab shop.... what do you think I would be in for time and materials?

by the time you weld one up and powder coat or paint...I would guess an ez 800-1k. depends on the tubing... a 8' stick of 1.75 DOM is about 50.00. gonna take a few sticks to twist up that pretzel

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: early roo bars on a late bus? Reply with quote

Quote:

I didn't know that they had wild kangaroos crossing the roads in Michigan. Learn something every day. Sure they aren't wallabies?
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: early roo bars on a late bus? Reply with quote

we have the German roos. invasive species, like the quagga mussel

I really just like the look, and I can get my spare off the nose.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: early roo bars on a late bus? Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
we have the German roos. invasive species, like the quagga mussel

I really just like the look, and I can get my spare off the nose.

you have a spare German Roo mounted on the nose of your bus? Maybe you plant them by their feet with some RTV and pop them on the nose? Must be a cute ornament.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Actually I was originally thinking a Roo Bar was more like this:

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: early roo bars on a late bus? Reply with quote

that is one creepy roo bar.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: early roo bars on a late bus? Reply with quote

creepy Roo bar? count me in. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: