Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 521, 522, 523 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

The BMW Hella one was extra cheap (errr inexpensive) before so I used it and liked it.

I had to one day make a quick quick fix of my wife's old A2 Jetta many years ago when we were poor (poorer.)

I have not needed one in a long long time, so maybe there is a better way now, but the BMW Hella one was the cheap brainless fix.

Keep having fun playing around, maybe you will stumble into a better solution.

I will likely never need one again though.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
My 26.1" sp-9 spare is ..... a directinal tire, thus the wish to go with two spares.

I am not so hung up on that fact to get a second one. If really serious, you play musical wheels to get it right way around. I view the spare as a temporary fix until I get to the next Discount Tire to deal with it.

(Knock on wood, I ran around for 9 years with out ever needing a spare. Knock on more wood. My spare is the original one. If I ever had a flat in the front, I would have to play musical wheels too since the fronts only will take a 16 inch rim. That old 14 inch is very old too and I would be real cautious if I ever had to use it. The spare needs to be changed every now and then too. After about 30 years it was time. Now I have to fit the new one under the van with a new holder. That is yet another post in this thread.....)

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:
My 26.1" sp-9 spare is ..... a directinal tire, thus the wish to go with two spares.

My spare is the original one.

Please don't do that.

On a trip to Florida one of my aged Chinese Wynstar tires gave out on I-95 and I installed my even-older Michelin spare, which itself gave out not long after on I-81 (below). Beware aged out tires.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

It is why I changed tires.......

I never drive out of AAA range.

I will be putting the new bigger spare in soon.

Amyrickvermont
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished my seat project. Upholstery from scratch, two colors. Brown vinyl bottoms and edges, fabric panels in a brownish orange. No telling how many Naugas had to die for all that hyde.

newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Uh, what do you mean from scratch?? Wow. I'd like a set in grey please. Wink Sewfine has a lot of my money already.
Amyrickvermont
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Started with fabric, thread, padding, and a walking foot sewing machine. It’s unlikely I will be making too many more. Sewfine’s value and quality are tough to beat.
It has saved me some money, especially on the big pads in the back, but these buckets were a lot of work.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Getting seat upholstery right is impressive. That looks great and very comfy.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Bravo! Nice work there. Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThomasC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Fixed Brakes and got 30 tags and inspection! Does anyone know where to find a bracket for front plate?

1970 Standard Beetle
2004 Golf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Amyrickvermont wrote:
Started with fabric, thread, padding, and a walking foot sewing machine. It’s unlikely I will be making too many more. Sewfine’s value and quality are tough to beat.
It has saved me some money, especially on the big pads in the back, but these buckets were a lot of work.

Amazing..... simply amazing
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally replaced the Main battery cable, that runs from the positive terminal to the Starter Motor. Mine wasn’t all that bad, but was original.
New cable came out of a late model Land Rover body harness, and was a gauge or two larger than the Vanagons.
LRs have their battery in the cargo space, so they are running long, heavy cables up to the engine through the body, giving me a free positive battery cable out of this used harness..... bonus... Wink
I used the old cable as my pulling guide, with the new cable taped to it, to feed through the grommet in the battery box. Had to lose the factory crimped eyelet on the new cable, otherwise I would have never pulled the eyelet past the stock VW hole that the factory cable exits past the gas tank while running along the frame rails.
So, easy enough to crimp a new eyelet once the cable was installed and in place.

Still want to run new solenoid wiring from the neutral safety switch back to the starter, along with the contact kit from GoWesty , but it’s really nice to have fresh battery wiring now along with those Mil-Spec battery terminals, plus the fairly thick protective boots over the terminals for zero battery cover contact issues/worries.

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto

Last edited by jlrftype7 on Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

ThomasC wrote:
Does anyone know where to find a bracket for front plate?

I believe this $9.49 holder on Amazon will adapt EU style plate to US style: https://amzn.to/2MBB29b
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Getting seat upholstery right is impressive. That looks great and very comfy.

x10

Well done!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

It's not installed yet but I brought it out for a test look. When we camp and open the hatch it's primarily to set up or strike camp and what we always use are the rear hatch screen and the front curtain. We debated what would fit best in this space and decided that those two things need their own spots for readily accessible storage. My bride whipped this up.

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

epbiggs wrote:
ThomasC wrote:
Does anyone know where to find a bracket for front plate?

I believe this $9.49 holder on Amazon will adapt EU style plate to US style: https://amzn.to/2MBB29b

It is a fiberglass bumper, you could just drill and tap a screw hole into it.
I would use a fine thread count machine screw or bolt. You would need a tap because fiberglass is as hard as steel when it comes to trying to screw anything into it.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Had some time for Flossie this fine Sunday.

The three squirters from T3T's ChrisToph3r get a 5 thumbs up on install. Was a GOOD idea to use a heat gun on the area for about a minute prior to grippin the old ones with the longnose lock pliers. Came out real nice, and I took the opportunity to buzz down the crud layer under the old seals with the Dremel and get a fresh layer of LP7Y Flash Silver splashed on prior to pulling the old one s out of the hoses. Was MUCH easier to work after a few seconds of heat gun. Slipped right in like they were stock!

Also, well, mostly the whole day, I had been recovering from a belt derail. Not sure of why, but I managed to derail the Alt and PS belts, and bent the crap out of my dipstick and tube. Well, as nobody lists the dipstick, I shuddered up to my attic stockpile, and found a spare. It was bent a lot as well, but I made good on it with a bunch of hammering.

Then I got busy with new belts. Well, I thought ALL new belts, but somehow, one was a snake that nearly bit me.. I noticed that the belt notches looked cracked after I had them all replaced. Well, the Alt belt is the one furthest in, so I took everything back off, and found my other set of spares, Continental, Karma belt set, Whoot! Tomorrow, I order a new complete set to carry.

After that, seemed I was just nosing around and noticed that the left hand ground contacts looked crusty, so I cleaned that up a bit.

Well, the whole thing came back together after a good afternoon.

One thing that is new:

I let the engine warm up 15 minutes, and revved it up. Seems nice, I did monkey a bit with he throttle body 'big screw' to bring the idle down a bit (attempting to get the new GW TPS to play nice) and found a strange phenom:

Slow throttle increase bringing revvs up in neutral, I get a cuttoff right at 2000RPM, Drops the revs back to around 1000 and then smooth increase from there upwards. Roads were to mucky for me to take if out, so puzzled, I just decided to ask around on here a bit before getting excited. I actually have not had a functional low side TPS switch yet, so I can imagine that there is a circuit that has not yet got my attention...

Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed the GoWesty 3rd brake light kit, fixed my drivers side speaker, passenger side new mirror, and put a cargo net in, and some new rubber for the brake and clutch pedals, and finally put in a new cup holder that’s been missing.

All in all a pretty good install day
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed the vanagon.org instrument cluster wiring kit yesterday. Nice kit, easy to install, and look at the LIGHTS!

I've been driving with instrument cluster lights that would work intermittently for about 18 months, so also had a swtiched, stick on led next to the speedo so I could at least see that. This is more than a little bit nicer.
]

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got word from 240turbo today, simple: flash the field over for external regulator.. quickly tap 12v+ to DF, done.

Now, to figure out the sweet spot for setting the voltage. 14.6 is where it settles warmed up, charged battery, at idle.

Looking for threads on the following condition: engine warmed up, I throttle up slowly and as the RPMs hit 2000, the engine cuts (fuel?) and drops to 1000RPM, then without moving my foot from where it cut at 2K, the engine revs back up through the range past the 2K mark with no second stumble. Further, this is only with no load on the engine, when under way on the road, this does not happen. Nor does it happen at all if I use a more aggressive throttle up. I am guessing IAC issues, and probable need for better throttle body setup. Thinking of modifying my spare AFM to trace a different track to see if that might be helpful.

-bobby
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 521, 522, 523 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 522 of 630

Jump to: