Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 Oval Vin numbers
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthew Tylka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: 1957 Oval Vin numbers Reply with quote

I have a 57 Oval and was looking at the VIN numbers to make sure they all match...they are all 1957, but the body is January and the pan is February. Is this correct? I was told the pan had never been separated from the body and it looks to be true, but I was not sure on the VIN numbers.
The pan has 1462464 and the body has 1462484.
Engine 1760325
Trans a1122700

Thank you for the help.
Matthew
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Vin numbers Reply with quote

Sometimes the pan VIN number stampings aren't as deep into the metal. I would bet they are the same number. Use a light at different angles and see if you can see a faint line to make that 6 an 8. Laughing For the pan and body VIN numbers to be off by 20 cars would be VERY unusual.

And just so you read the VIN numbers right...both numbers are March 1957. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matthew Tylka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Vin numbers Reply with quote

Ok the 6 looked like an 8 but upon closer inspection it does match. The body number is 465421, is that also March?
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Oval Vin numbers Reply with quote

Its not unusual that the body is made the month before.
Its like that on my oval, too.
Its because the body got its number when it was made, the chassi got its number when entering the assembly line.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: