Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Foam filter sputter
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Foam filter sputter Reply with quote

Finally had my 48 IDA powered 2275 running smooth until i decided to add Jaycee foam stack filters today. Idle is smooth, BUT sputters upon acceleration on thru the mid-range, and will smooth out again when i pedal to the metal it. I take the filters off and it runs smooth again Dancing

H - E_ L - P !

I could just run without air filters but Phoenix Arizona is so damn dusty and rocky that i worry some crap will make its way in the motor thru the stacks. Crying or Very sad
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Foam filter sputter Reply with quote

stack filters are known to be quite restrictive, which is probably changing your jetting. The best situation is to run full size filter elements around the velocity stacks.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Foam filter sputter Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Foam filter sputter Reply with quote

sled wrote:
stack filters are known to be quite restrictive, which is probably changing your jetting. The best situation is to run full size filter elements around the velocity stacks.

That does remind me that a few years ago there were some air filters on the market that were not of the foam variety but more like regular air filters that ran individually off the stacks at abit of an angle. Think
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Foam filter sputter Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Those look like foam as well. Are those restrictive to the point that they throw off your jetting?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Foam filter sputter Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=675767

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Foam filter sputter Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=675767

That might just be the fix! Thanks
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Foam filter sputter Reply with quote

Perhaps not all Webers are like this but my Webers take air in for the idle circuit from between the stacks. The idle jets would quickly plug with road dust using those filters.
HBRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Foam filter sputter Reply with quote

Restrictive or not, the AFR will change with and without filters. I have the traditional CB style filters, and the AFR goes lean without them. I’d expect to have to re-jet with them on. Do you have an AFR meter?
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Foam filter sputter Reply with quote

HBRag wrote:
Restrictive or not, the AFR will change with and without filters. I have the traditional CB style filters, and the AFR goes lean without them. I’d expect to have to re-jet with them on. Do you have an AFR meter?

I Don't, but i have read that Aircooled.net rents them out. So that will be the next tweak to make with filters On, since the motor is just about broken-in and got her to run consistently smooth thruout the power band w/filters Off AND even without a 3rd progression hole Shocked Shocked Shocked
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Foam filter sputter Reply with quote

busey wrote:
HBRag wrote:

I Don't, but i have read that Aircooled.net rents them out. So that will be the next tweak to make with filters On, since the motor is just about broken-in and got her to run consistently smooth thruout the power band w/filters Off AND even without a 3rd progression hole Shocked Shocked Shocked

ACN does not rent that tool any longer.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Foam filter sputter Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
busey wrote:
HBRag wrote:

ACN does not rent that tool any longer.

Sad Ah Damn! Thanks for the heads up.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Foam filter sputter Reply with quote

They don’t rent them anymore because they are relatively inexpensive now.
Sub $200.00

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Foam filter sputter Reply with quote

None Oiling and Synthetic I do Believe, R2C's..... Been running mine now for 4,250 Miles......

http://www.r2cperformance.com

RB
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Foam filter sputter Reply with quote

They look good railboy.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Foam filter sputter Reply with quote

Yea, I think so as well.... It is a street car so can't be so bad with dust and all...

If I do blow them out, it would be from the inside out of course with just lightly canned air...

But they have not come off and cleaned yet, knock on wood, lol..

Kinda a test... RB
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Foam filter sputter Reply with quote

Question, rarely are 48 IDAs equipped with any kind of filtering even on the street. Can't be that bad to run them as they have been for many many decades, ie w/OUT filters???
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Foam filter sputter Reply with quote

I would never run an engine on the street without filters, track and dyno are different

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Foam filter sputter Reply with quote

Man, GREAT idea with the springs holding the wingnuts on the air filters! I’m gonna do that to mine as well. Motor looks great man! Glad it is still running great for ya!

RailBoy wrote:
Yea, I think so as well.... It is a street car so can't be so bad with dust and all...

If I do blow them out, it would be from the inside out of course with just lightly canned air...

But they have not come off and cleaned yet, knock on wood, lol..

Kinda a test... RB

1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Foam filter sputter Reply with quote

Thanks Roof, yea be careful drilling, I used both a hand held drill for two of the holes before I remembered I had a drill press at the location I was at doing it, both ways you could see the bit flexing, but did not break it during the drilling, vey small bit.. lol... RB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: