Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mystery Longblock inspection -
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Longblock inspection - Reply with quote

if you dont know wht you are doing find somebody who does. and prefurably somebody who has a vw car that runs good all the time, and is driven a lot and dosent pour oil or smoke...or knock.. and that you know that they built it...not took to somebody else and says they built it... or do it your self and ask all the questions you can think of!!!! then...ask the questions you dont want to ask.then ask the questions you cant think of...just dont eff it up!!! but if you do....then ask the questions that you should of asked before effing it up. good luck!!!
jeromevw312
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Longblock inspection - Reply with quote

Had some time tonight to tear the engine apart some more. Started with removing the sump, it seams like a quality old school piece.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then I removed the cylinders and pistons. The wristpin on number 4 was really tight, the piston really did not want to move on it, and it really took some effort to get it out. wristpin bushing might be a little off, forgot to take a pic of that. First reaction after getting pistons off is rods look like there was some material removed if an effort to balance them.

Then I removed all of the engine hardware and bolts, and gave a few taps on the end to loosen the oil pump. I do not want to completely split it yet since the flywheel is still attached. I need to either borrow a small compressor or preferably a torquemeister tool to remove it before completely splitting. I figure getting it off the crankshaft after it is removed could prove even more challenging.

A few taps and the oil pump loosened right up. Pulled it out, and found and Engle W110 cam. Not sure if this is good or not, I wanted something more than stock, but isn’t a w110 a little big for a 1641? I really know nothing about building engines and cams, other than a w110 is probably the most popular ever made and seems common in 1776 builds.

Last thing I removed the #1 connecting rod. There are some marks, but I cannot say they look worn. Not really sure what to make of the marks. Crankshaft journal looked clean with no ridges I guess.

Now to see if any local VW friends have the torquemeister tool or borrow a small compressor so I can try my luck with an impact gun. I do at least have a flywheel lock and a 36mm socket.

Any thoughts on the marks on the bearings?

How would the combination of the w110 work in a 1641 with an 019 , 36 dells and a tri-mill Thing exhaust?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Longblock inspection - Reply with quote

Yep that’s the old school cam and they idled smooth with duals, if memory serves correct it pulled from 2500 to 4500. They called it a hot street cam around 431 lift 284 duration. Scat had the C-35, bugpack had 4063. All of them very similar spec. I also noticed that old H case doesn’t have inserts for cylinder studs. If the case passes muster I’d install them. About the scratch on bearings could be a dirty assembly area, you cannot be too clean when building.
jeromevw312
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Longblock inspection - Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Yep that’s the old school cam and they idled smooth with duals, if memory serves correct it pulled from 2500 to 4500. They called it a hot street cam around 431 lift 284 duration. Scat had the C-35, bugpack had 4063. All of them very similar spec. I also noticed that old H case doesn’t have inserts for cylinder studs. If the case passes muster I’d install them. About the scratch on bearings could be a dirty assembly area, you cannot be too clean when building.

Yea, I have read about the H case being about the least desirable case there is, particularly soft and susceptible to pulling head studs. Inserts are cheap enough, and something I could handle myself with a drill press. Now the decision is do I just get case savers for 10mm studs or get a set of savers for 8mm studs and spring for a new set of 8mm head studs.

Considering I have an undesirable H case, undesirable 87mm pistons, and mismatched head castings this is shaping up to be quite the undesirable engine, lol. At the same time, it’s still worth putting together rather than calling it all a bunch of junk.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeromevw312
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery Longblock inspection - Reply with quote

This engine is just stranger and stranger. While researching if the maxi style oil filter on it would work and differences of this being a single relief H case, I realized that this block has the small oil galleys, yet the pump is for large galleys. Great, this is why I am taking it apart to find the mistakes like this.
As luck would have it, I randomly have a new oil pump from a pic, and it is a small galley pump. Cool, except the pump mounting holes are for different size studs, granted this block already has bolts in it anyways, so it does fit in the case.

Im so confused with the small inlet vs. large inlet, 8mm vs 6mm, flat cam vs dished. But I think this other pump I have will work, and if so the plan is to drill and tap it and the block for full flow.

66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Longblock inspection - Reply with quote

Will not work with the in/out cover, see the extra port?

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery Longblock inspection - Reply with quote

Although it’s not right large oil pump with smaller galley case it can work. Yes it’s a backyard shade tree combination but if it fits tight I’ve see this work, also seen larger 8mm mounting holes used on 6mm studs. On those older cases people used a type 3 pump which is a tad bigger. Good decision to break it all down now you’ll know everything Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: