Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
Christopher Schimke wrote:

Junk!

...hmmmmm, but maybe some feedback not from someone in the "high end" bushings business would be more objective.

Thanks anyway Smile

Christopher is real-deal, take a look back at all the years worth of free advice he has given here on this forum. Probably more than any other member here. He is always very quick to give good advice concerning wheel fitment, nobody knows more on the subject than him. He stocks and sells the parts he knows work. Buying good quality parts the first time saves you a huge amount of work, and as a shop owner, I can tell you it saves you from a very expensive come-back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epowell wrote:

Junk!

...hmmmmm, but maybe some feedback not from someone in the "high end" bushings business would be more objective.

Thanks anyway Smile

While it's true that T3 sells "high end" bushings, if you read the forums in depth you'll find that Christopher does a lot of product testing, especially in his specialty. If he tells you a part is junk, you can trust his judgement. I appreciate that he saves the community from buying junk/garbage parts. Shopping at T3 is easy because you know the parts are of good quality and have been properly researched/tested. I think a more fair evaluation would be to say that T3 sells "high performance" and "high quality" parts/components. Beyond the parts, customer service is speedy and top notch.

All in all, there are very few (if any) folks on TS who seem intent on using the platform for self promotion. Those who do are usually weeded out, some are banned. It certainly can be frustrating to be constantly buying parts (and in the beginners case, tools/equipment) but this is part of the hobby. And choosing to restore a classic VW is among the more expensive badges to undertake as a project. In the US, certainly a Chevy, Ford, Toyota, etc are all far less expensive. Anyway, we've all felt wallet fatigue. It sucks. But in terms of buying parts, I would suggest to always buy the best parts you can afford. It can be more expensive upfront, but in the long run saves money and time.

Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

What you've inferred about Christopher is not cool.

Suggest that you retract that statement.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epowell wrote:

Junk!

Thanks anyway Smile

Geez, Powell - Chris has been around these parts helping people with their vans since you were learning how to change from 'G' to 'D' on your guitar!! Rolling Eyes

Chris's integrity and his knowledge of chassis/brakes/steering/alignment are an essential piece of The Samba and part of what makes it great. Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

A quick assumption is to think a vendor would promote their product over anything else available, but such is not the case with Christopher as others have commented.

With all the bashing that goes on it would be nice if people left positive feedback when it is deserved, as provided in this forum.

I'm guilty of not leaving feedback,
T3 Technique.....great to work with, and as others have stated, so much free info posted on this forum regarding wheel fitment, fabulous products.

Flint European automotive, outstanding service!!!! My best addition to my Westy, reversed 1.8T

Now to go leave two great members some feedback that have both helped me.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

Last year I bought Febis here in Hungary and they look like the Meyle ones posted in the first posts. Not installed them yet planning to do before the state exam. My Lemforder ones lasted 7-8 years and they squeking since about the third or fourth year.

pics:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

Echoing everyone here in regards to T3 Chris. Honest and worked with me when the shipper lost my goods. Very communicative and has great product support.

When it comes to poly bushings. Ive changed all my past vehicles to poly bushings. 07 sti, 15 rubicon, 00 xj and 12 softail. I changed the suspension on all the vehicles at the same time so I can't comment on any ride harshness. I also can't comment on the squeaking because none of the above vehicles were quiet in anyway. But I like doing things once and being done with it.

I have the burley uca but got powerflex everything else to include the power steering rack. The upfront investment may be more costly, but just value your own time at $150 an hour and the cost of replacing rubber bushings becomes unreasonable. Right?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

Hi all.

re: installing a Zerk grease fitting at each UCA bushing.

Any need to tack weld them in place?

i.e. does the thin metal hold them in place well enough over time and use?

I'll upgrade to Whiteline bushings soon but want to do a short road trip before that. My UCA are noisy and arm is difficult to move up down. Bushings were replaced about a year and 15K ago.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
T3Syncrohammer!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

Hi, I’m getting ready to buy upper control arm bushings for my Syncro aka Syncrohammer! And I am wondering if anyone has tried these Australian made

Nolathane Revo420086

They look good! As does the price! but hard to tell

Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

I agree- hard to tell!

You could always go with the tried and true powerflex or whiteline bits from a forum sponsor, then it’s no worries. They look a bit like the whitelines, and they’re only a little cheaper- A personal choice no doubt but I’d rather spend a little more and have the product support/ integrity behind a forum sponsor’s products than give van money to bezos, who has never posted here, or shown any interest in these vans. Wink
broncoisl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

This seems to be the upper control arm bushing thread so I post this here.

I'm currently replacing the bushings in my westy. The bushings were old and cracked but not squeaking. I have owned this van since 2008 and have never replaced them. The van has only 150000 Km on the clock so the old bushings might be original. Only pressed in no weld.

Has anyone used Lemförder recently?

The Lemförder bushings I bought are made in Turkey and were not cheap Crying or Very sad They look low quality to me but have the lemförder logo and vw partnumber on them. The inner sleeve in the old bushings seems to be much thicker.

ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

Lemforder is the OE manufacturer of these bushings, however the rubber quality nowadays not as good as was in the 80s.
As I wrote before new lemforders started to squeak after 3-4 years.
Its too late but I would have had leave the old ones in.

EDIT: the lack of the securing weld means that those were replaced before. The grinding marks are visible on your second pic. Probably your old ones are some aftermarket ones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
broncoisl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

I decided to replace them anyway because the rubber looked really bad. If they fail I probably will try something different and more expensive like the GoWesty bushings.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
Last year I bought Febis here in Hungary and they look like the Meyle ones posted in the first posts. Not installed them yet planning to do before the state exam. My Lemforder ones lasted 7-8 years and they squeking since about the third or fourth year.

pics:

They lasted 2 years which means around 20000 kms.
The right front one is squeaking and the bolt is off center which means its shot. Same one as last time.
Is it possible that my control arm is bent and makes too much tension on that side?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

Went to install a set of Lemforders into my Syncro upper control arms. Was pleased to see the vw number cast into them. Unfortunately after pressing out the old ones, the Lemforders “fall” in. Bummer.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
ZsZ wrote:

pics:

They lasted 2 years which means around 20000 kms.
The right front one is squeaking and the bolt is off center which means its shot. Same one as last time.
Is it possible that my control arm is bent and makes too much tension on that side?

The Meyle ones I have put in 3 moths ago failed after 5000kms Sad
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

The new Lemforder bushings arrived. I bought a JPGroup one for comparsion.

ZF changed the partnr and the part itself. The old ones had the VW-Audi logo removed by a grinder. The new one have a new style plastic cap with no grinding marks.
I have read on Brickwerks site that the design was changed and they no longer recommend it on syncros. In comparsion to the JPG one it is smaller in every dimension

Lemförder:

JPGroup:

ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

Looks like the right front failed. The rubber is pressed out from the bushing

therastavan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

I am having trouble removing the control arm bolt. Read all the posts, even made a tool to push it out and it will not budge. Also does not seem rusted. Soaked i n KROIL for days. Any other ideas?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Upper control arm bushing failure (pictures) Reply with quote

Contact Christopher at T3 Technique. He lists the bolts on his website. Get the bolts and carefully cut the control arm free with a sawzall. Be careful not to cut the arm or the chassis. I’m fairly certain the bolt is seized to the bushing sleeves not the chassis. Once you have the arm cut free, you can press the bushings out of the control arm. Press in new ones. Hopefully the remaining piece of bolt comes out of the chassis.

Freeing up frozen items usually takes a lot of heat. I would discourage trying to use a torch to free up the bolt especially on a 2wd. The fuel tank is right there. Good luck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 18

Jump to: