Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine earlier than car, is this usual by 1952?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:04 am    Post subject: Engine earlier than car, is this usual by 1952? Reply with quote

My 11 June 52 car has an engine number from late May. Is that correct?
I thought they had the production pretty tight by then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Engine earlier than car, is this usual by 1952? Reply with quote

Well, late may engine and an early june car goes well to each other. ...
Do not know how much time they take to make an engine, get it to the production line and install it.. When an engine comes to the car, the nrs are written in the wagenbegeleitkarte, with the key nrs, front beam, rear axel, frame nr and some more details to be registered in the records of production. So it is only on the production line, the nrs are put together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine earlier than car, is this usual by 1952? Reply with quote

sinclair wrote:

In your present advert for this car, you say " *Engine is 1955 NOS, Only Covered about 1,500 miles", and so, as we know, it's not the original engine, and therefore there is no actual 1952 engine number to look at.

I think what you are meaning to say above, is that according to the 'Birth Certificate' from VW, a copy of which is also shown in the advert, 1-0361829 is the number of the original engine when supplied new, which if you look at the info on the Historic VW Club https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/c359e16c/files...201967.pdf or on this site, it shows that the engine with this number was produced in November 1951.

This supposes that the information on the 'Birth Certificate' is correct, which it often isn't, and that there hasn't been an error during transcription somewhere, at some stage in the distant past.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine earlier than car, is this usual by 1952? Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
sinclair wrote:

In your present advert for this car, you say " *Engine is 1955 NOS, Only Covered about 1,500 miles", and so, as we know, it's not the original engine, and therefore there is no actual 1952 engine number to look at.

I think what you are meaning to say above, is that according to the 'Birth Certificate' from VW, a copy of which is also shown in the advert, 1-0361829 is the number of the original engine when supplied new, which if you look at the info on the Historic VW Club https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/c359e16c/files...201967.pdf or on this site, it shows that the engine with this number was produced in November 1951.

This supposes that the information on the 'Birth Certificate' is correct, which it often isn't, and that there hasn't been an error during transcription somewhere, at some stage in the distant past.

Hi Martin.
Oh no, quite apart from the engine in the car now, I have the original engine number from the old logbook. It's a late may 52 number as far as I can tell 1-0436799. Your assistance, as always, much appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine earlier than car, is this usual by 1952? Reply with quote

I'm talking nonsense! Looking again at the 'Birth Certificate', 1-0361829 is the chassis number, and not the engine number! I've got a picture of your car from about 1979, at VW Action, on a trailer, brought there with the intention of selling it. When I find it again, I'll post it here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine earlier than car, is this usual by 1952? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There you go, a couple of pictures of the car in a former life!
sinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Engine earlier than car, is this usual by 1952? Reply with quote

Martin, you've absolutely made my Chrismas! Razz Razz Razz Razz You have a PM.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: