Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How many miles does your Vanagon have?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How many miles does your Vanagon have? Reply with quote

As of August, 2019...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How many miles does your Vanagon have? Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago:

ourv12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: How many miles does your Vanagon have? Reply with quote

Just past 300,000 last week and on my second engine rebuild. Runs like a champ. (knock on wood) lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How many miles does your Vanagon have? Reply with quote

336,756 miles at this point. Not using Dixie as my DD any more, so mileage will slow up a little.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: How many miles does your Vanagon have? Reply with quote

My 1988 Wolfsburg has 213k and based on information from previous owners it’s on its second transmission and engine.

1988 Microsquirted, Wolfsburg Vanagon (Sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=708000&highlight=

Microsquirt Conversion Guide (Work now Discontinued): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1laXykNPbRYS8MT...2imqd2pnx7
SyncroBouree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: How many miles does your Vanagon have? Reply with quote

187K reported on the odometer, 183K of those on the original chassis, power-plant and drive-train. Some DD service during 2009-2011. Happy that most miles were accumulated on 'tripping and off-roading.

@183K the WBX was still running, but I was beginning to see declines in my compression tests and knew that a rebuild was soon to be added on my to-do list. It was the onset of tricky shifting that I traced to the transaxle that accelerated our refurb-mod project.

With our refresh, I hope we'll reach some of the prodigious mileages being reported by others!

Cheers!
1979 Harley Lowrider -- Donated to a good home
1969 Ford Bronco Half-Cab 351W, Toploader, Dana 44 FE, Detroit Locker, Duffy’s Suspension – wish I still had it
1962 GMC 3/4T Fleetside, V6<-Chevy 409 w/factory headers, Camper/Tow Rig – ditto
Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How many miles does your Vanagon have? Reply with quote

Man, I guess I’m a low-mileage example. It had been sitting for several years before I bought it (I think about 5-6) but I just rolled it over to 160k on a trip to the Long Beach Peninsula.
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How many miles does your Vanagon have? Reply with quote

203,000 on the odometer - I know it's at least 2K shy of actual but probably more.

Approx 42,000 on the current GW 1.9L to 2.2L rebuilt wbx engine and about 40,000 on a GW rebuilt transaxle.
This is the third engine - first one died at 75,000 (corroded head bolts), 2nd one rebuilt at 136,000 miles and replaced at ~163K (unknown reason). I got it with around 2,000 miles on the current engine.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How many miles does your Vanagon have? Reply with quote

1986 Westfalia GL and 170k.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How many miles does your Vanagon have? Reply with quote

Just a year end note. Its spraying sticky snow outside tonight. This AM I got a few small issues sorted, and idled (about 25 minutes) up to 141F and was pleased. So, I took a short drive up the highway and ticked off a Year End ODO of 298126. Not going to take her out tomorrow, so that is that.

Dreaming of Sugar Plums, in the year to come.

-bobby
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How many miles does your Vanagon have? Reply with quote

My second entry, it's a great bookmark for future reference.
My Tristar has 405xxx on it. It had its first quality rebuild about 20K ago and most recently a Transaxle Rebuild / Update from Rancho trans.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How many miles does your Vanagon have? Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
Mine has 157,000 on it. Bought it new in '86 with 30 miles on it. Averages out to 5,230 per year, all road trips, never used as a daily driver. Lives in the garage.

That was Nov. 2016, since then I've put another 7000 mile on it so now it's at 164,000. Again, almost all are road miles (went 132,000 miles on my first set of brakes). Still running great on original engine and trans. Original owner, I put all the miles on it myself.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: How many miles does your Vanagon have? Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
Love My Westy wrote:
Mine has 157,000 on it. Bought it new in '86 with 30 miles on it. Averages out to 5,230 per year, all road trips, never used as a daily driver. Lives in the garage.

That was Nov. 2016, since then I've put another 7000 mile on it so now it's at 164,000. Again, almost all are road miles (went 132,000 miles on my first set of brakes). Still running great on original engine and trans. Original owner, I put all the miles on it myself.

That's really cool - congratulations!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Larry Davick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: How many miles does your Vanagon have? Reply with quote

Sleeping for many, many years...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: