Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I just bought a Westy Single Cab! (1.6TD JX)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

ive only ever used terminal blocks for thermocouple wires. at least its type k and not type r!
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Looks like a need a new probe regardless. I'm going to call the dealer in the morning to see what my exact options are for extending it.

New problem: Oil pressure warning light is intermittent. Key on, engine not running it only sometimes flashes. Other times it's a very very faint glow. Feels like a dirty connection somewhere. Any ideas? I cleaned the pressure switches and I will again tomorrow, anything else?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

More great posts of progress. Well done. Except for the door. Goldarnitall!!! Thanks for the tips respirator and face mask. You’ve inspired me to update my gear (the Harbor Freight face masks I’ve been using are okay for occasional use...).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
More great posts of progress. Well done. Except for the door. Goldarnitall!!! Thanks for the tips respirator and face mask. You’ve inspired me to update my gear (the Harbor Freight face masks I’ve been using are okay for occasional use...).

Thanks! Careful about the 3M respirator, there are several sizes to choose from. I had to chance it when I ordered off Amazon.

Paint!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

old_man wrote:

Lastly, This is my gas pedal to the floor. The injection pump is not at the stop. Problem?

I would check if the engine reaches the max rpm and then adjust either the cable or the stop.

Doors are plenty and cheap over here. Maybe youĺl find a good one some day.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

T3messie wrote:

Doors are plenty and cheap over here. Maybe youĺl find a good one some day.

Unfortunately I doubt shipping is. I bet they also have tons of side/tail drop gates for single cabs for cheap as well?
T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

In Canada/ America most doors will survive their vanagon bodies too Wink . They do not rust too bad.

Sinka gates are rare but can be found.https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/t3-ladebordwaende/1274716377-241-6333
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Busy day or two for me. Trying to get fog and driving lights installed. Took longer than expected.

The first stage was to get wiring sorted. It started with running a 4 gauge wire from the battery direct to a newer mini fuse panel under the ash tray. I installed a large circuit breaker just after the battery as well in case something happens to the wire.

Switches and relays were all installed as well. 14 gauge for the majority of the stuff. Fog lights can only turn on when ignition is on and the driving lights can only come on with the high beams.

These are the switches. I'm only using 2. Current plan is to remove one of them and install a usb/voltmeter that is the shape of a rocker switch. I might try to fit an oil pressure gauge in there as well.

New mini fuse panel. If I could to it again I would get one with spade connections and not screw terminals. I should have payed more attention when ordering.

Next up was the fog light brackets. I took inspiration from a few threads and from Brickwerks. Mine are in two pieces to allow for left and right aiming. Screwed into the pumper with nylon inserts and SS screws. Painted them orange with that paint that didn't quite match, no other use for it.

Here are the lights wired.

Fog light beam pattern.

Driving lights with the high beams.

Seeing as I was out the hardware store I took the opportunity to swap some of my exterior screws to SS and switch to robertson screws. I really don't like philips screws.

I still have to go out driving and aiming. No nose shots of what it looks like as there wasn't enough room in the garage.

I changed my face mask dust filters and for fun I cut the old one open. They did their job

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

The sinka/doka has a raised rear deck lids. Leads to interesting possibilities. I just threw it in there to see if it would fit. This is a 'maybe later' project, not a priority.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

why cant you just put 'crimp on' spade terminals onto the wiring for the mini fuse box? it looks like you used them at the bottom.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
why cant you just put 'crimp on' spade terminals onto the wiring for the mini fuse box? it looks like you used them at the bottom.

Truthfully, because I really didn't think about it now. I really fought with those damn screws. Those half ring spades would have made my life a lot easier.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Yes, you want to do this. All the fatigue load on the wire is concentrated at point of contact with the terminal screw, so it will fail there. You could mitigate this by strain relieving the wire close to the screw to stop it too, but the correct solution Is both; ring connector and strain relief.

It’s a 30 day time issue, not an urgent and immediate need.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Yes, you want to do this. All the fatigue load on the wire is concentrated at point of contact with the terminal screw, so it will fail there. You could mitigate this by strain relieving the wire close to the screw to stop it too, but the correct solution Is both; ring connector and strain relief.

It’s a 30 day time issue, not an urgent and immediate need.

Sounds good. The next time I am in there to wire something else up I will take care of them.

Today I tried to plumb in my oil temp sensor and then realized I had the wrong adapter. New one ordered.

I also took the opportunity to do a transmission oil change. I didn't use fancy stuff as I will be draining it again when my peloquin gets installed. It's currently lost in the mail or something.

This is the mag plug. No large chunks big enough to start reading part numbers of. Largest piece I found was a flake that was 3mm wide and thinner than paper. Old fluid was chocolate brown but still translucent. I elected to fill to the brim.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

What oil did you use for your trans?

I am thinking about replacing the oil in my syncro tomorrow.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
What oil did you use for your trans?

I am thinking about replacing the oil in my syncro tomorrow.

For this change I just used some stuff I got at the local place. It will not be in there long. For my next change I will be going with Redline 75W90NS.

My reasons are my own and are not the same for others. They are
1) Locally available. There is other stuff out there but shipping is expensive,
2) Synthetic. This will be driven in the winter,
3) I use this one in my G50 911 and in my VW type 3 as well so it's convenient to use the same,
4) It is a known brand, and
5) It has the word hypoid on the bottle.

So to recap, I chose this for me, I don't want to get into an oil debate because it leads to no where, and I'm not saying this is the right oil for you.

Good luck on your oil change tomorrow, remember to undo the fill plug before the empty plug in case you run into issues.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

More work today, more questions.

I decided to replace the CV boots. One was already gone. My experience is if one is gone the others are not far behind. The route I went was to take off the axle nut and remove the axle as one. I wasn't too keen on trying to get those XZN bolts out buried inside the swing arm. I wasn't too worried about he axle nut as one I received the truck they were loose and had to be tightened.

Axle nuts came off easy. The hardest part of this job was getting the axles off the transmission stubs. PO used a variety of fasteners and mangled a bunch of them. Made it difficult to identify what bit I should be using. It was a lot of effort and time to get them off. Glad I had a hoist.

Here is a sample of some of the fasteners. No, I wasn't the one that mangled them.

One of the CV all taken apart. This doesn't appear to be their first rodeo.

When i was there I also discovered, what I think is, a heater hose had rubbed on the axle. Quick trip to the hardware store for a quick fix. Not my finest work but I think it should work for a while.

Original wall thickness is around 4mm, the worn spot was down to about 1.6mm.

While I was there I also tightened up some of the slack in the throttle cable and changed the fuel filter. To prime the system I just opened the purge valve on top of the fuel filter housing and pressurized the fuel tank with an air hose and rag in the fill port. It worked. Started with no fuss. Doing the filter after the CV swap is convenient because spilled diesel fuel is a great degreaser.

So part of me is disappointed I did both the filter and throttle cable at the same time. The truck feels so much better now. I use to hit a wall at 75km/hr in third gear. I also could accelerate past 110. Now I can. I'm left wondering which fixed it. I'm really looking forward to changing the timing belt and re-timing everything to see if that improves anything.

Here she sits now.

My initial first go in the snow was very disappointing. I have since added 397 lbs on water softener salt in the back and I think it's improved things.

Questions:

1) Little faint smoke behind me at full throttle on the highway...normal? My fuel adjustment screw still has the metal ferrule on it so I don't think it's been tampered with.

2) When I am in neutral and I let up the clutch I can hear the transmission make noise. Sounds exactly like white noise. User 'Waldi' in another thread said this
Waldi wrote:
What engine ?
The " rumoring" in neutral is normal with 1,9 diesel engines.
It is more noicy with hot.
It shoult stop above 1000 revolutions.
In german its caled "losräderrasseln"

It follows exactly this. Goes away around 1000 rpms (I don't have a tach) and you can only notice it when the transmission is warm. Doesn't make a sound when cold. Am I good to go?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

You might already know this but you can switch which side you install the shafts on in order to reverse which side of the CV races gets the majority of the wear. You can switch the shafts end to end on one side to move the major wear location a little due to the weight of the axle tending to move it outward toward the tire.

If you didn't replace all the CV hardware, then I would put it on the list for next time.

Nice save on the heater hose. That had already worn through all the reinforcing.

I have a spare injection pump IN bolt and fitting attached to a marine primer bulb. I swap that onto the return to pull fuel from the tank all the way through the pump. It works very well with little to no mess (degreaser).

I usually drive a new-to-me VW diesel very minimally before I swap the timing belt.

The little bit of smoke you describe is probably normal.

Trans is likely fine but hard to diagnose noises online.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

I'm an expert in nothing and a speculator in everything, but don't you ideally want the driving lights on the inside and the fogs on the outside?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

old_man wrote:

When I am in neutral and I let up the clutch I can hear the transmission make noise.

Would love to hear what resolves this as I’ve noticed this too on my ‘88. Great thread and very thorough. Have loved all the detail from the start.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I'm an expert in nothing and a speculator in everything

This really speaks to me. I love it. I am going to use it in the future at some point.

Thank you. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: