Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Networking/Fly Fishing/79 Type 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hangwind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Networking/Fly Fishing/79 Type 2 Reply with quote

Hey guys!

I own a bus!

Again!

I owned a 71 in the 90痴 and now a 79.

So awesome! I知 back.

I work on mine but no re-building, just maintenance and restore to stock.

I知 an accomplished fly fisherman. Stream - River - Lake - Sea, make (or used to make) bamboo rods from raw materials. I build rods but my specialty is Japanese fly fishing, tenkara.

www.tenkara-fisher.com

I知 a writer and learned this method from Japanese anglers. I have spent a few weeks in the central mountains of Japan camping and hanging out.

If the opportunity arises, I am willing to share fishing knowledge here. Not sure how but I知 here for VW.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Networking/Fly Fishing/79 Type 2 Reply with quote

In my opinion the 71 is a better bus to have. The newest one I ever owned was 73 but as you know type 4 engine costs more to maintain and harder to service. The fishing I most enjoyed was Gulf of Mexico deep sea. Never a bad day always brought back more than enough. Very Happy
hangwind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Networking/Fly Fishing/79 Type 2 Reply with quote

The 71 was lost to me wanting AC and making more money back when I was a young man.

The 79 is the one I am able to find and afford as an old man...
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Networking/Fly Fishing/79 Type 2 Reply with quote

Ever fished the White Mountains of east central Arizona?
As far as your 79 type 2 keep it running and maintained for sure.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
hangwind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Networking/Fly Fishing/79 Type 2 Reply with quote

Arizona native, yes.

The Little Colorado above sheep痴 crossing, fishing there for about 50 years. Not my best but my favorite.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Networking/Fly Fishing/79 Type 2 Reply with quote

The engine in the '79 is far superior to the '71 but you MUST keep a close eye on temperature to make it last. The engine in the '71 was a ticking time bomb at best. Just not up to the task of pushing a Bus around.

Enjoy!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Networking/Fly Fishing/79 Type 2 Reply with quote

Welcome!

I've been fly fishing for almost 30 years and driving buses for more than 30. I haven't fished in AZ but have in California and Nevada-predominantly freshwater.

Another Samba member "Amishman" is the customer Service and Ops guy for Tenkara USA. Nice guy.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Networking/Fly Fishing/79 Type 2 Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Welcome!

I've been fly fishing for almost 30 years and driving buses for more than 30. I haven't fished in AZ but have in California and Nevada-predominantly freshwater.

Another Samba member "Amishman" is the customer Service and Ops guy for Tenkara USA. Nice guy.

Indeed.. Hangwind and I know each other well.

Although I bet he did not know my The Samba username.

haha.

Enjoy your new bus! Hope to see you and do some tenkara down the road.

TJ

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hangwind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Networking/Fly Fishing/79 Type 2 Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
The engine in the '79 is far superior to the '71 but you MUST keep a close eye on temperature to make it last. The engine in the '71 was a ticking time bomb at best. Just not up to the task of pushing a Bus around.

Enjoy!

Thank you!

I値l be good to my bus, promise.
hangwind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Networking/Fly Fishing/79 Type 2 Reply with quote

amishman wrote:
crofty wrote:
Welcome!

Indeed.. Hangwind and I know each other well.

Although I bet he did not know my The Samba username.

haha.

Enjoy your new bus! Hope to see you and do some tenkara down the road.

TJ

Hi TJ.

No doubt you are a member here.

Small world, I hope you are well.
hangwind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Networking/Fly Fishing/79 Type 2 Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Welcome!

Hi Crofty!

AZ has a lot of high country and a lot of it has streams. Who would have thought with the desert we are?

I interviewed TJ here for my web site: http://www.tenkara-fisher.com/2017/01/interview-with-thomas-tj-ferreira.html

Been making web sites on small stream fly fishing for some time now. I知 working on a bus blog on the account of how cool it is to track the progress...
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Networking/Fly Fishing/79 Type 2 Reply with quote

hangwind wrote:
crofty wrote:
Welcome!

Hi Crofty!

AZ has a lot of high country and a lot of it has streams. Who would have thought with the desert we are?

I interviewed TJ here for my web site: http://www.tenkara-fisher.com/2017/01/interview-with-thomas-tj-ferreira.html

Been making web sites on small stream fly fishing for some time now. I知 working on a bus blog on the account of how cool it is to track the progress...

Apache trout, right? I read about them but haven't fished in AZ before. I'm guessing those must be in the Flagstaff area or something similar?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Networking/Fly Fishing/79 Type 2 Reply with quote

Ah yes... that interview was fun to do.

Have a great 2020!

TJ

hangwind wrote:
crofty wrote:
Welcome!

Hi Crofty!

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hangwind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Networking/Fly Fishing/79 Type 2 Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Apache trout, right? I read about them but haven't fished in AZ before. I'm guessing those must be in the Flagstaff area or something similar?

That is our indigenous trout found in the east central white mountains.

Flagstaff has lakes but not much stream fishing.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Networking/Fly Fishing/79 Type 2 Reply with quote

The apache trout are and have been reintroduced to several streams and lakes in the White mountain region as well as on the Apache reservation. I still like the looks of the Cutthroat trout and brook trout.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
corro23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Networking/Fly Fishing/79 Type 2 Reply with quote

Another fly fisherman who loves VWs in the house. Smile

I had a 2 60s beetles and a 72 SB growing up .. My son gets his license this year and wanted a beetle. So... we now have another beetle in the family! At least now I have a garage and some tools! Ha!

I do a bunch of fly fishing websites and photography to feed my fly fishing hobby habit. Here is my photography. https://www.western-fly-fishing.com/

I have been down to fish for Apache trout once a while back, but would love to do it again and take a bit more time.
BugCaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Networking/Fly Fishing/79 Type 2 Reply with quote

Nice to see other fly fishermen on here. My user name is from my fly casting. I started in the late 60s. I usually go out to Montana at least once a year and have pulled my drift boat out there a couple of times. I spend more time now in my shop at home but still try to take my skiff down to the coast every now and then. I also have fished the River Test in England and twice to Belize. I eventually became certified casting instructor but that hasn't been of much demand lately and I haven't been as active in the local club.
It still is one of the most satisfying things to be standing in a cold river with no one but my son or friend within sight.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
corro23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Networking/Fly Fishing/79 Type 2 Reply with quote

BugCaster wrote:
It still is one of the most satisfying things to be standing in a cold river with no one but my son or friend within sight

Agree! Its a fantastic experience. Floating a river with a buddy and working as a team is great!

If your ever passing through Utah on your way to MT. Hit me up. We'll see if we can make some time to hit the river! Smile
BugCaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Networking/Fly Fishing/79 Type 2 Reply with quote

corro23 wrote:
BugCaster wrote:
It still is one of the most satisfying things to be standing in a cold river with no one but my son or friend within sight

Agree! Its a fantastic experience. Floating a river with a buddy and working as a team is great!

If your ever passing through Utah on your way to MT. Hit me up. We'll see if we can make some time to hit the river! Smile

Utah is still on my list! Fantastic photos, I am in awe. Applause
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: