Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 936, 937, 938 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stoney Hawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Got any backstory on the hunt?
58euro wrote:
Picked up this 67 EZ camper the other day, pretty solid bus bummer it's camper bits are missing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Awesome hdj81. I had one for years. Great tow rig
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
Awesome hdj81. I had one for years. Great tow rig

Thanks, we've not had it too long but so far have been loving it. It does tow great!

Not too much of a backstory on the bus, came out of North Idaho off of a farmers property. He's got quite a few bugs and other cars sitting that he's going to start letting go of and sold this one off first. It had been sitting 30ish years in the same spot he drove it into until we got it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Looks vaguely familiar. Was it up near Bonners Ferry?
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Passed through Bonners on our way home but no it was down south of CDA.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

58euro wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Damn, you came right through here, too. Nice to see another bus saved from the ravages of time and elements.

Planning to rebuild, or sell it to fund other stuff?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Oh, and can we see some more photos?
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
58euro wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Damn, you came right through here, too. Nice to see another bus saved from the ravages of time and elements.

Plan for now will be to rebuild it, Its a pretty dry bus that's mostly complete minus the front seats. Should be a pretty fun project I think. I'll have to snap some more pictures of it and post them, it's not perfect but not bad either. Your in Sandpoint? We're up in Troy so not that far from ya.
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

dantillon14 wrote:
got this in 2019.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1091087539...mp;theater

A buddy of mine had pictures of that 15 window. Said it was in new mexico and the guy wanted to get rid of it. It was pretty beat. think he offered him like $1500 for it and the guy got upset
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

58euro wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
58euro wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Plan for now will be to rebuild it, Its a pretty dry bus that's mostly complete minus the front seats. Should be a pretty fun project I think. I'll have to snap some more pictures of it and post them, it's not perfect but not bad either. Your in Sandpoint? We're up in Troy so not that far from ya.

Yep, maybe an hour drive through beautiful country. Let's keep in touch.
sleeperspirit1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Someone sent me this - They found a 21-Window and a Bay Window in the woods:

Link

According to the comments below that video, Mike Wolfe and Mustie1 are the only people that know anything about old VW buses. Laughing
looks like these are in my neck of the woods... pa/nj... would love to find out! (Not that he would likely sell anyhow) would love the 21 window.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dantillon14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

nice land cruiser.

RustyDC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Super dry 61 So23 Westy I picked up. It had been sitting since the 90's. Someone was going to slam it, put deluxe trim on it and make it a custom cruiser. No camper interior unfortunately.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 Tin top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

super dry for sure- wonder what is under that horrible miami vice paint job?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
super dry for sure- wonder what is under that horrible miami vice paint job?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

RustyDC wrote:
Super dry 61 So23 Westy I picked up. It had been sitting since the 90's. Someone was going to slam it, put deluxe trim on it and make it a custom cruiser. No camper interior unfortunately.

DRY is an understatement Shocked Shocked Shocked
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

very nice !
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Love being able to contribute to my favorite thread on TheSamba.

This one has been a long time coming...

Myself, my dad (burlyhammer), and well-known bus junkie Matt Cornell have been working on getting this bus (a Sealing Wax Red/Beige Grey 1960 SO-23 Westfalia) out of a well-known junkyard in Maine for the past several months. Not working on prying it from the owner, but from the wrath of the junkyard itself. All the trips we've taken separately + all the trips we've taken together to this yard probably equate to 7 or 8 trips, one of which for us is about a 5 hour round-trip not including stops or time spent at the yard. Thankfully, Matt lives much closer.

Anyway, my dad discovered this bus back in the fall. Almost immediately, he contacted the owner of the yard who was willing to let it go. The price was a bit more than desirable, though. While in town, my dad went over to Matt's place and talked to him about the bus. Matt had already actually bought the bus awhile back but was unable to get it out - so the yard owner was either up to something fishy or had a terrible memory. Regardless, Matt and my dad (over the next few weeks) formulated a plan to extract the bus, along with several other harder-to-get vehicles, but this bus would be the first to go.

During the first attempt, we simply brought down a truck and trailer thinking we could back all the way in (the bus is about a quarter mile off of the road through muddy trails). This ended up being something we didn't even want to attempt, so more plans were formulated. This is how the bus sat the first time I saw it:

Later on, my dad rented a heavy duty forklift (I know there's an actual name for this piece of equipment, I just can't remember it off the top of my head) with plans to extract the bus quickly and easily.

We ended up getting it stuck in over a foot deep of mud and were close to planing a rescue mission for the rescue mission. The machine did help us to lift the bus out of its previous resting place and plop it dead and center in the middle of the trail:

At this point, (once again we thought) the bus was in the position for a painless extraction but of course the it needed some rigging in order to roll, so another trip down was planned to get the bus rolling. A drum replacement and several sets of roller tires were required.

After many in-between plannings and logistics trips, we decided that today was the day to bring the bus home. The ground is FINALLY frozen up here (we've had an underwhelming winter) but the temperatures were bearable, so we set out once more. Matt brought along his tractor to pull the bus through the snow-covered trails, but plywood was needed many, many times to give it some traction.

To make a long story short, it finally made its way onto our trailer and tonight will be the first night in a while (if ever) that this bus has spent with a roof over it.

Fortunately, after all these years, no one else has been insane enough to scavenge the remains of this bus out of the yard, but unfortunately, this has been made up for with the fact that (as you can clearly see) almost everything is missing or rusted off or twisted or some other horrible thing has happened to it. This bus basically needs an entire interior (I didn't take a picture of what remained because it was so repulsive, sorry), the actual subhatch (not to mention a roof replacement), a complete frame swap, metal all around (floors, doglegs, cargo door bottoms, window frames, a new dash, etc etc etc), and basically everything else. It'll need lots of rigging, but hey, we own a SO-23 now, so that's pretty cool.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

So, very cool. Glad to see you got it out. VW people are clinically insane at times.

But how did this Matt bought the bus thing pan out? He obviously helped a lot for a guy out some $$? Or was he? Please elaborate if you can.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Looking forward to more pics of that SO23, including the interior, no matter how fugly it is. Congrats on the new bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 936, 937, 938 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 937 of 990

Jump to: