Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1991 Multivan TDI build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

So we are loaded up and headed for the 8:15 ferry and then up to a friends farm in vershire vermont. Looking forward to a couple days of camping out with the family. Will post some photos and updates in the next couple of days.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

BEAUTIFUL!
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

We made it up to Vermont without any hitches. Labor Day weekend traffic was a little heavy coming out of Massachusetts but it wasn’t too bad.

We made it to our friends farm in the early afternoon and set up camp before a lovely farm to table dinner under the wisteria covered pergola with Mountain View’s. It has been great to connect with old friends and family and to see all the little kids running about and having fun.

After dinner we all headed outside to the side of the barn where our friend Andrew had set up a screen to watch a movie. The movie came complete with popcorn and warm blankets to help fight the chilly Vermont night.

After the movie, we retired to the van where my wife and I slept in the side room and the kids took the upper bunk. We of course had a couple of visitors in the middle of the night. We woke up to all four of us packed into the blow up bed. It got a little chilly but with two down blankets and a couple of Pendleton wool blankets we were all pretty toasty. If it gets colder tonight we might give the Eberspacher a little use inside the van.

We are all looking forward to another fun day on the farm. There is a small pond where the kids catch newts, frogs, turtles and crayfish and it is a great swimming hole too. A little horseback riding is also on the agenda.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Hard to choose between VT, NH, and the Cape, after Labor Day

Beautiful. Nothing like a place the kids can roam free.

Missing mine now

Crying or Very sad
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Hard to choose between VT, NH, and the Cape, after Labor Day

Beautiful. Nothing like a place the kids can roam free.

Missing mine now

Crying or Very sad

Yes I am savoring these days when the kids are still young and they actually want to be with us! I know this will change but hopefully all of these trips and memories will make them want more. Though I’m sure it wasn’t easy, you must have been proud to see your kids leave the nest, ready for the world ahead.

Have a great Labor Day weekend to you and to all!
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

We’ve had a couple of really fun filled days with friends and family in vermont. This farm is quite possibly one of the most beautiful places I’ve been in New England. The kids have been roaming free with lots of swimming and canoeing in the pond. We have caught many frogs, turtles, newts and crayfish. One night i walked down to the pond with my son Willie and we went on a crayfish hunt and the scene was almost apocalyptic. There were thousands of crayfish in the shallows of the pond. I mean they were everywhere. Willie couldn’t believe that there were “fresh water lobsters.”

Saturday night we gave the eberspacher some use and we all slept in the van. Outside, it got quite chilly, getting down into the mid 40s. The van was a toasty 70 degrees and we all slept very well.

We had a great trip and the van ran beautifully. We are already looking forward to our next adventure...

Here’s a few of our friends and family members checking out our campsite and the van

The farmhouse and barn used to be right in the center of Vershire, Vt but the town basically relocated Main Street a few miles away. Now, the property is located up a long dirt road, far from any neighbors or other people. A few years ago, the towns people voted to get rid of their police and police station. They figured they could govern and police themselves. So far, it seems to be working with a crime rate close to zero.

A little night time crayfish hunt. We just caught them and put them back, though i must admit, a crayfish boil did cross my hunter gather mind.

A lot of turtle catching.

..and even some horse and carriage rides for the kids.

Last edited by Multiman mv on Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:43 am; edited 3 times in total
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

They go from here to here in a heart beat.....

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Oh man! Many fond memories I’m sure.

Someone stopped us when we were walking out of the hospital right after the birth of our daughter Charlotte and said, “cherish every moment because you will not believe how fast it goes.” It really sank in and I remember thinking to myself, I’d better listen to what this woman is telling us. It is going fast and we are trying to cherish every moment. I’m dreading the day the kids fly but hopefully by then we will have done our job and prepared them for the world ahead. We have instilled a love for travel in our kids and their favorite thing to play with is a small camper van with a doll family. They play “road trip” and imagine all sorts of vacations on the road. Who knows, maybe someday they’ll own a Vanagon or maybe by then it will be a Vw ID Buzz?
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

A quick trip off island yesterday for a little pumpkin picking, a hay ride and a great lunch on the Canal in Sandwich.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

A beautiful fall day on the Vineyard. Here’s a photo of the van in front of the old Edgartown Whaling Church.

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

We just got back from a little road trip with the van down to greenwhich Connecticut (and all over) and then back up to the Mystic Aquarium. The beluga whales were on their own, worth the price of admission. I could have stood there and watched them all day. Caged animals always bum me out to a certain extent but most of the sea mammals were there being rehabbed. The belugas were not, they were captured a long time ago. The beluga exhibit is an amazing opportunity to see these animals up close though. It appeared that one of the whales enjoyed scaring children. Im sure he was sick of the countless children tapping on the glass and doing the same to him. He would literally stare or slowly follow a child and then suddenly lunge at the child, usually startling them. The whales did appear to be healthy and at times engaging in playful activities, such as moving certain “toys” around the enclosure. One definitely deliberately squirted water over the rails of the enclosure right onto the head of a women who had been following the whale for several minutes. Im sure these were attempts at self entertainment and ways to stave off boredom. It is a strange thing we do, capture and cage animals and yet i supported it by paying admission. The experience was enjoyed by my family but i always feel the same way at the end, guilty and sad for the animals being locked up and not free. With that said, the Mystic aquarium does amazing work, rescuing and rehabilitating injured animals and many are returned to their natural environments. I will gladly support an institution that does this kind of work.

The van continues to run extremely well. The tdi has no problem running 75 mph and im amazed at how quiet this engine is in the 72 to 80 mph range (i usually average right around the low 70s.)

I think at every fuel stop we made, someone would show up at the window and ask questions about the van. I always welcome the interest and enjoy answering questions. The people who take the time to come ask questions are usually some of the nicest people one could meet.

Sounds like a little shot of winter is coming this Sunday, so time to take it off the road for a while. I am about to have a windows out paint job done so ill be vanless for a while anyway. The clear coat is cracked and the paint is faded in many areas, but more pressing are the areas of rust forming behind the window seals.
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

We'll have to add the aquarium to our list when we're down in Skills' neighbourhood again.

Sometime that you're roaming north, you can see Belugas in the wild in the Saguenay Fjord - we particularly enjoyed staying on the east side at Baie Ste-Marguerite, where there's a 3km hike to a great viewing platform and low tide beach.

Happy New Year - good luck with the paint work!
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Ride_On wrote:
We'll have to add the aquarium to our list when we're down in Skills' neighbourhood again.

Sometime that you're roaming north, you can see Belugas in the wild in the Saguenay Fjord - we particularly enjoyed staying on the east side at Baie Ste-Marguerite, where there's a 3km hike to a great viewing platform and low tide beach.

Happy New Year - good luck with the paint work!

Wow that must have been an incredible site. I am putting it on my travel list. I really want to head up that way sometime in the near future. Ive been really interested in checking out the Gaspe peninsula. Some beautiful sites to be seen up north to say the least.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Sounds like a great trip. What is pushing you to do the paint job? Are you going to keep the two tone paint (I am a huge fan of it)?
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Sounds like a great trip. What is pushing you to do the paint job? Are you going to keep the two tone paint (I am a huge fan of it)?

I have a fair amount of rust forming behind the window seals that are starting to get concerning. It isn’t all that bad right now but i really want to stop it before i start losing metal. Ill post some close ups. I have a bubble or two of seam rust that started when the previous owner had the van and water was getting in above the passenger side rear wheel well area. The rust hasn’t progressed since fixing the water issue and sealing the lower portions of the insides of my body panels with cosmoline. I have a lot of fading and cracking of the paint and clear coat in certain areas. The van is in really great condition overall with no rust on the undercarriage and i really want to maintain the good condition by doing a nice paint job on the van. I am really considering losing the lower cladding though i keep going back and forth. I do like the look of it as well but i am considering some steel bumpers from Rocky Mountain westy. These fiberglass bumpers offer very little protection. I already have one area on the rear bumper that has been compromised when the previous owner had the van. My wife just hit a deer recently. Luckily due to my recent shoulder surgery she was driving my truck (which has a standard trans and not easily driven with a sore right shoulder) which also has a brush guard on the front. There was absolutely no damage to my truck and she was going 45 mph. I know the brush guard on the front of our van would offer up similar protection but the bumper would probably take a hit, so this is why i am considering steel bumpers.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I am in a similar position. I have the same seam rust popping up near the fuel cap in the front. I also love the fiberglass bumper look and that is the main reason I have been really delaying getting a bumper. FYI transporter werks has been teasing some aluminum bumpers on their instagram that you might be interested in. That is probably the route I will be going when it comes time for bumpers.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

Here are some close ups of some of the problem areas. The cracked clear coat didn’t photograph so well. I think it photographs better on a sunny day. I’ll try to post photos when I can. These areas of rust have really progressed quickly in the marine environment we live in. I’m really considering a garage addition to my wood shop. It would be money well spent.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

One option that could buy you some time is to have the windows removed, rust mitigated, and then just re-spray the section between the upper belt line and ridge below the drip rail. Personally, I like a satin/matte black finish for this area.

I did this when I replaced the seal and fixed rust around my windshield. Blue and black are a nice pairing. I really like the full cladding on my lifted van.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

That is a good option. I might consider that but i do want to get at the seem at the rear wheel well. Thanks for the suggestion.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1991 Multivan TDI build Reply with quote

I should add that my pop top is in desperate need of a paint job also. It looks good in the photos but i am hitting it with trim shine about once a month in order to keep the deep dark blue color, otherwise it gets so oxidized and faded. Im gathering that “flag blue” by interlux is a nice color match for what they painted tops on Orly blue vans. As always, i welcome any feedback or advice on the subject.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 37 of 50

Jump to: