Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40 hp evolution
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp evolution Reply with quote

Owners manuals pictures are generally an unreliable reference. They reused and retouched photos all the time. My observations are that they are usually correct about what is being referred to. Other things in the photo might be much earlier, and they may have had to retouch the thing which they are referring to.

Owners manual photos can be useful for telling that something certainly existed by a certain time, but they can't prove a negative.

62DoKaGuy wrote:
If anyone finds anything more definitive on the round-to-ribbed generator stand transition, like PR references or other sources, I would appreciate it to add to my resources.

If you look the manuals, which, of course, are not always the most accurate resources, the non-ribbed or round generator stand was still shown in the February as well as October '62 manuals, while the February '63 shows the ribbed version among others changes, like fresh air, etc:

Feb '62:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/mighetto/62t2_p66p67.jpg
Oct' '62:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/oct62bus/page66.jpg
Feb '63: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/feb63bus/page66.jpg

Adding more confusion and contradiction, I have a very original engine, an April '62 (#6723517, I believe) that had the round generator stand. So, where do we draw the line? Stands are interchangeable and could have been replaced on mine with an available round one, or the March '62 described above could have replaced a broken round type.

Like you guys, I just want a straight answer, something black and white, saying "at this time or engine #, VW started its transition, while using existing resources [of round bubbas] until depleted." Given nothing concrete, I tend to rely on the manuals or whatever is available. If anyone finds anything out like a PR reference or bulletin or what, post it! Cheers, guys.

EDIT: Another note on the Manuals' (in)accuracies: even the images in the Oct '62 still show the breather hose running from oil cleaner intake (earlier), rather than the reservoir (later), which transition in late February '62 according to PR. Ahh, I need clarity and ritalin!

My 10/62 parts list page shows 113 101 211 for the generator stand. That would suggest that there had not been any modifications to the part by that time.

The picture of the 1/63 engine shows the later stand.

Does anyone have other data points in the mid -'62 through 1/63 era? Parts list pages dated after 10/62 into early 1963 would be helpful.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp evolution Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
EverettB wrote:
5. Yes, you should have a metal vacuum line. After doing some searching on here, I am pretty sure it should be the one with loop and not the one with simply a bend in it.

To be more clear on this - I couldn't find when it was switched from the circle to the "hump" style in Progressive Refinements but there is another user on here that had a very original late 1963 1500cc Bus and it still had the circle style.

As far as I know 1500cc vs. 40hp would not matter for that part.

Someone else posted that the hump style was introduced in 1964 but he did not list the source of that information.
This
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1487879
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Maybe will chime in on where he found 1964 or if that was an educated guess.
Feb '63 bus owner's manual shows the hump. (Oct. '62 doesn't)

Marand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp evolution Reply with quote

Calling all the stale air experts out there again after all your informational assistance who helped me build my Sept 62 stale air 40hp build to this point.
The pic shows where I am at so far but would live some critiquing on where I might be missing the mark on being factory stock.
I know I don"t have the vent line connected just wanted to confirm the length first

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp evolution Reply with quote

Other than the coil and vacuum line it looks good!
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp evolution Reply with quote

My 9-30-60 61 panel has the vent on the oil breather assembly but there is no vent connection on the air filter. The engine was a factory replacement so I might not have the correct oil breather assembly.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp evolution Reply with quote

Busted-bolt wrote:
The engine was a factory replacement so I might not have the correct oil breather assembly.

Definitely the wrong oil filler.
Marand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp evolution Reply with quote

Hi Eric&Barb your thought is that I need the looped vacuum line?
Marand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp evolution Reply with quote

And I'm guessing I need a black coil and my coil clamp should be zinc plated correct?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp evolution Reply with quote

Marand wrote:
Hi Eric&Barb your thought is that I need the looped vacuum line?
And I'm guessing I need a black coil and my coil clamp should be zinc plated correct?

Correct, and correct with yellow label.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp evolution Reply with quote

Marand wrote:
Yes, and yes. You can search out correct date codes for electrical items like coils if you want to be super correct.

You can gently bend the humped vacuum line into a loop style.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp evolution Reply with quote

The only other thing I could think of was that you are missing the hose spring clamp on the pre-heat tube but I have a feeling it's simply not installed in that photo
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp evolution Reply with quote

Marand wrote:
Calling all the stale air experts out there again after all your informational assistance who helped me build my Sept 62 stale air 40hp build to this point.

You also have 40 HP fresh air head tin.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp evolution Reply with quote

Marand wrote:

Incorrect fan shroud. The below from the Progressive Refinements:

Like the upper one in the image below:

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp evolution Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Busted-bolt wrote:
The engine was a factory replacement so I might not have the correct oil breather assembly.

Definitely the wrong oil filler.

The below from PR:

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp evolution Reply with quote

Marand wrote:

Should be a bright blue colored spark plug cables. The below from the original 22 mile 64 Beetle:

Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp evolution Reply with quote

At any time did the engine blocks receive a black coat of paint from production. It appeared that the VW replacement engine did from my 61. It also had oversized pistions 77.5 mm and cam bearings. Any one know where I can get rings for those? Id like to bore out some bastard cylinders for my 60.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp evolution Reply with quote

Busted-bolt wrote:
At any time did the engine blocks receive a black coat of paint from production. It appeared that the VW replacement engine did from my 61.
I have seen plenty of VW remanufactured cases, and none of the ones I have seen were painted.

Revmaster in Riverside would paint the cases on the engines that they rebuilt.
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp evolution Reply with quote

I have the right oil filler ,I just had to dig in my parts pile. I was wondering what is the correct upper bell housing tin for my bastard forty hp build.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp evolution Reply with quote

Busted-bolt wrote:
I have the right oil filler ,I just had to dig in my parts pile. I was wondering what is the correct upper bell housing tin for my bastard forty hp build.

Would try the "Bastard 40 HP Engine" thread in the FAQ's. Lots of great info and images to go by.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp evolution Reply with quote

Stale Air 40hp Clarifications and Questions is a great thread as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: