Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1951 ignition switch question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
386kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: 1951 ignition switch question Reply with quote

so im restoring my first split and have always had ovals, i have a stupid amateur question and figured id ask on here. i got a speedo pod with my 51 someone drilled out the hole for ign cyl to put a larger aftermarket one in there, im not to worried about it cause i will just buy another aftermarket one to put back in there, my question is how did the orig cyl work. did it have 3 stops? 1 for all off, 1 for acc, and one for running? i still want to use the start button and just trying to figure out what aftermarket switch would work best. i know the orig cyl had three wires going to the back of it and im assuming one wire was hot coming in from batt, one wire was for acc, and one was for coil is that correct?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 ignition switch question Reply with quote

Original has only on/off positions.
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
386kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 ignition switch question Reply with quote

virtanen wrote:
Original has only on/off positions.

thank you, so what are the three wires for on rear? i see one is constant power from battery, one goes to three of the dash lights and one goes to coil, do the coil and dash lights stay powerd when key is turned on? i know the coil wire does just confused about the idiot lights
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1951 ignition switch question Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/10_51bug.jpg

I don’t have a split, it these diagrams always helped whenever I’ve done a car.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1951 ignition switch question Reply with quote

386kustoms wrote:
so im restoring my first split and have always had ovals, i have a stupid amateur question and figured id ask on here. i got a speedo pod with my 51 someone drilled out the hole for ign cyl to put a larger aftermarket one in there, im not to worried about it cause i will just buy another aftermarket one to put back in there, my question is how did the orig cyl work. did it have 3 stops? 1 for all off, 1 for acc, and one for running? i still want to use the start button and just trying to figure out what aftermarket switch would work best. i know the orig cyl had three wires going to the back of it and im assuming one wire was hot coming in from batt, one wire was for acc, and one was for coil is that correct?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: