Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Singlecab 1975 garage found
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacopotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Singlecab 1975 garage found Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Wait... with original tires? Or with original style tires? ... there is a safety difference. Please get new tires.

oh yes i mean new tyres original size, on originals rims because on my split single cab i
have lowered tyres
Very Happy

yeah don't worry, saftey first
jacopotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Singlecab 1975 garage found Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Whaanga wrote:
Perhaps this is obvious to most of you - but was a type 1 engine standard in a 1975 single cab? I would have thought it would come with a type 4. But perhaps the engine in the photo is not original?? Just trying to learn —

European used type 1

To further the discussion… You could order anything VW made anywhere in the world unless it was legally prohibitive. Out here in the "free country," we have laws regarding emissions and illumination that are whacky and different from the rest of the world. So you probably couldn't import a bus into the US with incorrect fog lamp actuation, wrong exhaust system, or superior H4 headlamp projection style. Other countries could import the Vanagon with a Type 1 engine, modified Type 3 cooling system, and dual carbs. Laughing (And I paid for a client's smog retest because the shop thought the crankshaft pulley notch was 6° wide…)

But Italy apparently knows what's up; the Type 1 in a later engine compartment is a dream to work on. And the silver front turn signal lenses look sweet; amber bulbs in there?

See you on the road,
Robbie

Yes that' s true, here in Italy it's common to find baywindow with type 1 engine, rarely you can find a type 4 2.0 engine.

I have a friend with a westfalia camper with original 2.0 engine, but here it's really rare
jacopotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Singlecab 1975 garage found Reply with quote

Today it was a good day, i removed cylinders and heads.
Now i belive the pre owner, she told me that this truck worked really hard, on the mountains for many year, but now it's time to reuild everything for a new life Very Happy

This side was really dirty

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This side looks better

Push rods cataloged, like in the maual Very Happy love this book

The flywheel nut was easy to remove, no problem, but for remouve the flywheel........
ok guys i know it's really huge this extractor, but it was the only one bigger enough for do this job Razz

And here we are

How can i block the cams followers before opening the engine?
On the book they said with springs, but i don't understand how
Now i have two questions:

First, why the crank pulley has a thread in this side?
What's made for?

Second question, i wil buy a new camshaft with more performance, i will use new stock 1.6 cylinder and pistons, original heads, but with a 4 into 1 exhaust and maybe dual carbs, any advice?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Singlecab 1975 garage found Reply with quote

That's one impressive puller Shocked

jacopotex wrote:
What's made for?

To screw any stray oil back in to the engine, it was done by VW in place of a seal.
Quote:

Second question, i wil buy a new camshaft with more performance, i will use new stock 1.6 cylinder and pistons, original heads, but with a 4 into 1 exhaust and maybe dual carbs, any advice?

That's a slippery slope, change one thing and it needs 5 others changed too to work right, careful. I'm a big fan of factory correct matched components, nothing else runs as nice or works so flawlessly as the original German stuff.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jacopotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Singlecab 1975 garage found Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
That's one impressive puller Shocked

jacopotex wrote:
What's made for?

To screw any stray oil back in to the engine, it was done by VW in place of a seal.
Quote:

That's a slippery slope, change one thing and it needs 5 others changed too to work right, careful. I'm a big fan of factory correct matched components, nothing else runs as nice or works so flawlessly as the original German stuff.

ok now the thread has a sense Very Happy
For the rest i know , i agree with you, the stock engine works perfectly for sure, but i love to modify , i'm addicted to
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Singlecab 1975 garage found Reply with quote

jacopotex wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
Wait... with original tires? Or with original style tires? ... there is a safety difference. Please get new tires.

oh yes i mean new tyres original size, on originals rims because on my split single cab i
have lowered tyres
Very Happy

yeah don't worry, saftey first

Very good! I like it. She looks like a beauty. That 9ft (or however big it is) bed would be awesome.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Singlecab 1975 garage found Reply with quote

From my phone so I can’t paste links... but do a web search for EMPI VW lifter clips/holders. They’re used to hold lifters in place during assembly, but they work equally well during controlled disassembly IF you get their pointy ends to index the oil ports in the sides of the lifters. I’ve always wanted to make a “magnet manifold” to hold all four without a doubt...

I love the puller! Laughing
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Singlecab 1975 garage found Reply with quote

to hold lifters cut two pieces of coat hanger about 6 inches long, bend them into a U and tweak the ends in towards each other. They will each hold two lifters together.

I have never needed a puller to remove a flywheel. Once the center gland bolt is removed they near fall off on their own. If a flywheel gets bent even a little life will be miserable.

The heads on that engine have been leaking, one really bad. They need to be flycut to clean them up.

Last edited by SGKent on Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Singlecab 1975 garage found Reply with quote

jacopotex wrote:
What's made for?

busdaddy wrote:

Gary could correct me, but I learned those "threads" are properly called Labyrinth Windback Seal. If I recall correctly the General Electric LM2500 gas turbine prime mover uses this idea, which is where I first learned of them.

Like busdaddy notes, they return the oil back where it belongs. This is due to the pitch of the groove (not really a thread... if you look closely, the peaks of the groove are actually pretty flat, not to a point like a thread) being run backwards during the engine operation. So the oil is forced backwards.

Why not a replaceable seal?

Its been more than 25 years since I read about these, but as I recall the LM2500 used one because the location was very inaccessible, rather hot and under pressure.

Not sure why VW used the idea, but likely the same theme.

https://books.google.com/books?id=SbgXP_L21yUC&...mp;f=false
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Singlecab 1975 garage found Reply with quote

The "screw" of the pulley also acts as an air pump, keeping the crankcase supplied with fresh air, and driving out moisture through the breather tower.

I can only speculate here, but I have seen FAR more T4 engines with moisture buildup in their oil caps than T1 engines. Like, 10x more. So I think the case ventilation is more beneficial than a seal.

Lasts longer, too. Cool
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Singlecab 1975 garage found Reply with quote

Bitchin' Single Cab Cool

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Singlecab 1975 garage found Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

I suspect he means new original size tires on stock rims, running old ones would be crazy.
That's a cool truck, nice find!
I wonder if the rear gate has been changed, didn't those late trucks with the big tail lights have windows in the tail gate?

My 71 single cab has the holes in the tail gate, so the tail lights can be seen with the gate down. 71 was the last year VW imported single and double cabs into the US. (pre chicken tax) after that who knows what VW did. But then again those holes were not on all years, so...
jacopotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Singlecab 1975 garage found Reply with quote

It's time to clean everything, and check all the components, hope it's everything good, but the crankshaft looks good, the crankcase too.
I will change the camshaft but i have a 3 rivet type, can i change it with a 3 bolt?

want to change the camshaft cause the gear looks a little bit worn, where's the connection with the oil pump

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Singlecab 1975 garage found Reply with quote

Wow, that's a really used looking motor, measure everything very carefully.
You can use a flat faced cam (3 rivet) if you use a matching oil pump, that dished cam in there now allows it to use a longer (deeper) pump.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jacopotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Singlecab 1975 garage found Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Wow, that's a really used looking motor, measure everything very carefully.
You can use a flat faced cam (3 rivet) if you use a matching oil pump, that dished cam in there now allows it to use a longer (deeper) pump.

ok so if i understand well i need a new camshat 3bolt pattern with a new oil pump that fit in a 3 bolt camshaft type, ok.

Yes this motors works really really hard in the past
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Singlecab 1975 garage found Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
jacopotex wrote:
What's made for?

busdaddy wrote:

Gary could correct me, but I learned those "threads" are properly called Labyrinth Windback Seal. If I recall correctly the General Electric LM2500 gas turbine prime mover uses this idea, which is where I first learned of them.

Like busdaddy notes, they return the oil back where it belongs. This is due to the pitch of the groove (not really a thread... if you look closely, the peaks of the groove are actually pretty flat, not to a point like a thread) being run backwards during the engine operation. So the oil is forced backwards.

Why not a replaceable seal?

Its been more than 25 years since I read about these, but as I recall the LM2500 used one because the location was very inaccessible, rather hot and under pressure.

Not sure why VW used the idea, but likely the same theme.

https://books.google.com/books?id=SbgXP_L21yUC&...mp;f=false

I learned this is an “ oil slinger” but I like that name more

Added another day to the “ learned something new in 2020” column
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Singlecab 1975 garage found Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
I would discourage you from making ANY non-stock modifications, but that's just me..

makes his DC a 4 door Laughing

Ha ha! Touché!
But my goal on the '78 RHD DC was to make it more useful, not to preserve its originality.

For my Mexican '75 SC, the goal is to get as close to factory configuration as possible, since it is a special collector piece. I was envisioning this Italian '75 SC the same way. But of course, it's his truck.

busdaddy wrote:
I wonder if the rear gate has been changed, didn't those late trucks with the big tail lights have windows in the tail gate?

I believe that the tall holes was an option, but have never seen original ones IRL. The Mexican '75 does not have them. The Irish '78 also did not have them. But it does now, thanks to Gerson at KlassicFab who added some to a new set of gates:

I am also very pleased to see the B-pillar-mounted side turn signals on your '75. I added the same to my '78 (see photo above). Do you think your are original equipment?

Please share with us your M-Code plate!

And I am keen to follow your engine rebuild, since that is exactly what my '75 SC needs.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacopotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Singlecab 1975 garage found Reply with quote

Hi guys, here i am again, how are you hope is everything well with you.
With this corona virus, i was stopped for a long long time, but i never forget my blue single cab.
Unfortunately, i don't have my truck where i live, and with the lock down it was totally impossible work on my truck.

But im ready to start again.
So the crankcase was bored +0.5, the crankshaft polished, the conrods chekeds, and everything looks nice and new.

I'm really happy today, my first step was to put on the bearings, and for tomorow i'm planning to put on the conrods.

i made by myself an alluminum plate to hold the crankshaft in the vice, and it works well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: