Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Repainting Licence Plate frames
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Repainting Licence Plate frames Reply with quote

I have an original license plate for the dealer my car was purchased from I would like to restore. I've been working on setting up painting it, but I can't seem to get to a place I feel comfortable with, and I wanted to see if there are folks out there would may be more willing/able than I am to repaint license plate frames. Searching the forums, I see a fair amount of posts about rechroming them (which mine does not need), but not very much about paint.

Any recommendations of folks who are up for painting these on a commission?
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Repainting Licence Plate frames Reply with quote

I’ve painted over 40 frames for personal use, friends & customers. As you can see, I didn’t bother replating them. Here’s a few samples of my work:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Repainting Licence Plate frames Reply with quote

Nice! After spending weeks going through several prep methods, I just don't seem to be doing it right, so I'll PM you. Mine is below - I believe both the top and bottom sections were dark blue (like in one of yours). I thought I would just use a chrome polish to shine up the rest of the plate pretty well, and then spray a clear protectant over the final product.

Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Repainting Licence Plate frames Reply with quote

Any aspiring painters who would like to paint this frame on commission? Everett - do people post want ads for services? Any particular places good to look for someone who might do this (perhaps I should look for a lo al art achool...)?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Repainting Licence Plate frames Reply with quote

Contact Rareair.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Repainting Licence Plate frames Reply with quote

On the topic of refurbishing plate frames, what’s the closest-to-original blue paint people have found and used? I need to do some touch-ups and would like to go into it prepared. Thanks.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Repainting Licence Plate frames Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Contact Rareair.

I have, but I am hedging my bets in case he doesn't answer or is not interested.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Repainting Licence Plate frames Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
Any aspiring painters who would like to paint this frame on commission? Everett - do people post want ads for services? Any particular places good to look for someone who might do this (perhaps I should look for a lo al art achool...)?

Yes, there is a services category in the Classifieds where you can post a WTB (Want To Buy) ad, although I don't know how successful it is for Services Wanted

I'm guessing getting a recommendation here might be better in this situation.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Repainting Licence Plate frames Reply with quote

harrymarlin,
The license plate frame you have is aluminum and not an embossed style frame, the lettering was probably screen printed. The best suggestion would be to do it in vinyl. Take to a vinyl sign shop, show them what you have and what your trying to achieve. They could print or vinyl die-cut these for you.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Repainting Licence Plate frames Reply with quote

Typ3nut wrote:
harrymarlin,
The license plate frame you have is aluminum and not an embossed style frame, the lettering was probably screen printed. The best suggestion would be to do it in vinyl. Take to a vinyl sign shop, show them what you have and what your trying to achieve. They could print or vinyl die-cut these for you.

Good point! The letters are not embossed enough to lend themselves to be painted by a paint roller, but I don't think they are screen printed (the letters are *very* slightly raised, and rougher than the rest of the metal). I'll try the vinyl sign shop, and I'm checking on a custom stencil, as well.

Thanks!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Repainting Licence Plate frames Reply with quote

Go to a sign shop that does the good ole-fashioned cut and weeding method If you want to make stencils. The newest sign shops digitize and print logos and letters with ink on a vinyl backing (think car wrapping).

If I had your frame- I'd stencil the background, paint it, let it CURE. Then I'd lay down a stencil of the lettering and lightly paint them in, remove the stencil and admire your work!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Repainting Licence Plate frames Reply with quote

Harry, I'm just now seeing your thread here. If you want, I have a vinyl cutting machine. If you have the ability to scan your frame, send me the file and the measurements, I can send you vinyl to use as a stencil.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Repainting Licence Plate frames Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! Excellent suggestions! Jos - I'll send you the file with dimensions, soon, if you are up for it. I apologize for the delay in posting back to this. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: