Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel pump kits.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Fuel pump kits. Reply with quote

Are the rebuild kits for a Peirburg (spelling?) and the Brosol fuel pump the same. I have a couple of Brosol pumps that need some love. But can find kits for the original pump.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump kits. Reply with quote

You need to post images of the fuel pump you have to be perfectly accurate. 40 HP/early 1500 and different in the top pieces from the later 1500/1600 kits, but the diaphragms are the same.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump kits. Reply with quote

Yes, you need to be specific as to what type of pump and kit.

For what it's worth, I own an NOS threaded-inlet style pump repair kit, used on the US 40HP engine up through 65, and some years beyond that on the Type 2 models, and have images of it in my Gallery...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump kits. Reply with quote

brian rogers wrote:
Are the rebuild kits for a Peirburg (spelling?) and the Brosol fuel pump the same. I have a couple of Brosol pumps that need some love. But can find kits for the original pump.

The broad answer to your question is yes. If these pumps are the rebuildable types held together with cheese head screws. The Brosal copy of the Pierburg dome top and square top fuel pump is the same exact pump "if" it has the rectangular front rocker spring cover on it. There was an "economy" version of the square top made in Brazil without the front rocker spring cover. There is no rectangular opening on them. They are not desirable.

There are two different fuel pump repair kits sold today by Wolfsburg West-

1) One for the dome top fuel pump
2) The other is for the square top fuel pump that has an upper diaphragm assembly in it.

There were other kits sold back in the day for the type 3 fuel pumps which had a stiffer spring on the main diaphragm assemble and put out a bit more fuel pressure.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump kits. Reply with quote

Been out of circulation for awhile

brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump kits. Reply with quote

Bump for a little help?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump kits. Reply with quote

brian rogers wrote:
Bump for a little help?

I'm not sure of your question?

If it's to rebuild either of the two pumps above, I'd tell you no. One is a lousy Airtek fuel pump and the other is the economy Brosal square top. It's a "light weight" version of the much better Brazilian Pierburg fuel pump. They didn't cast the opening for the rocker spring and the casting is much lighter, cheaper. I have a lot of those pumps that I won't rebuild.

brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump kits. Reply with quote

Thanks that’s what I needed to know.
Onwards in the search.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump kits. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
brian rogers wrote:
Bump for a little help?

If it's to rebuild either of the two pumps above, I'd tell you no. One is a lousy Airtek fuel pump and the other is the economy Brosal square top. It's a "light weight" version of the much better Brazilian Pierburg fuel pump. They didn't cast the opening for the rocker spring and the casting is much lighter, cheaper. I have a lot of those pumps that I won't rebuild.

Was there a Pierburg out of Brazil? I think you might have meant one like this out of Mexico...

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump kits. Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
brian rogers wrote:
Bump for a little help?

Was there a Pierburg out of Brazil? I think you might have meant one like this out of Mexico...

Nope! I meant Pierburg made in Brazil! Wink I see a lot more of the Brazilian Pierburg fuel pumps than I do the Mexican made versions. Both are excellent.

They were made by Brosol in Brazil under license from Pierburg of Germany. APG is Pierburg. These fuel pumps in the pictures below are excellent. As good as the German Pierburg fuel pumps with the VW logo on them. The parts interchange between German and Brazilian made.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1918330

Here's an explanation copied from another source below-

The company story is quite confusing but revolves around Alfred Pierburg, his father Bernhard and their steel trading company Pierburg oHG. Around 1926 they acquired licence's from the French Solex company to produce carburetors; failures during the great depression forced Pierburg to reorganize as DVG. Sometime after 1935, DVG, under licence from GM, produced AC fuel pumps for Opel. It was around this time DVG began the development and manufacture of a fuel pump of its own design. After WWII, again with support from friends at French Solex. A new company, Alfred Pierburg g or ' APG ' , (A. Pierburg Auto- und Luftfahrt-Gerätebau KG ) would emerge. During the Porsche 356 era,' DVG 'and ' APG ' were for all economic purposes one company with several manufacturing facilities.

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump kits. Reply with quote

Cool. I guess I never came upon any of them, but I did see (and hell, I own the one I pictured above) a number of the proto-BOCAR Mexican fuel pumps over the years and those are good.

AoxoMoxoA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump kits. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Nope! I meant Pierburg made in Brazil! Wink I see a lot more of the Brazilian Pierburg fuel pumps than I do the Mexican made versions. Both are excellent.

They were made by Brosol in Brazil under license from Pierburg of Germany. APG is Pierburg. These fuel pumps in the pictures below are excellent. As good as the German Pierburg fuel pumps with the VW logo on them. The parts interchange between German and Brazilian made.

I have one of the Pierburg/Brosol pumps which I pulled off my '66 Beetle. It was replaced with the genuine article German Pierburg pump, which I rebuilt. Mine differs from the ones pictured, in as it does not have the screw-cover service opening for the rocker spring. It works fine, and after cleaning it up, it has become my emergency backup.

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump kits. Reply with quote

I have rebuilt this style on a few different cars, all with great success. All had a VW logo. Got the rebuild kits from WW.

Never had one of these, though they look nearly the same. But the access cover for the pushrod pivot is missing in this one, as it's a cast piece.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump kits. Reply with quote

AoxoMoxoA wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

I have one of the Pierburg/Brosol pumps which I pulled off my '66 Beetle. It was replaced with the genuine article German Pierburg pump, which I rebuilt. Mine differs from the ones pictured, in as it does not have the screw-cover service opening for the rocker spring. It works fine, and after cleaning it up, it has become my emergency backup.

That's the "economy" version of the Brazil made square top. It's identified by the lack of opening in the casting for the rocker spring, thus, it's missing the front rectangular cover held on with (2) screws. Ya wonder what that saved in making a few thousand of them.

What's interesting about that economy version is how much lighter in overall weight it is vs. the one in the picture I attached. I think it's aluminum casting is different than the other. I need to weigh both pumps because the weight difference is significant.
The economy version I don't restore.

brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump kits. Reply with quote

Nice! I have a few places I need to look at for a core. The Airtech I have has cheese head screws that are dimpled and crimped into the housing. I’ll play with it just see if I can without damaging the threads, into the scrap pile it goes.
Thank You all I’ve learned a little more.
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump kits. Reply with quote

I'm going to rebuild a German Square-Top Pierburg pump. Currently, who makes the best quality repair kit? I see people selling NOS kits, but age makes me wonder how much the diaphragms have degraded.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump kits. Reply with quote

TXHCBeetle wrote:
I'm going to rebuild a German Square-Top Pierburg pump. Currently, who makes the best quality repair kit? I see people selling NOS kits, but age makes me wonder how much the diaphragms have degraded.

The diaphragms are fine in the NOS kits when stored correctly. They do not support ethanol fuels though. Currently WW sells the best kit. They are putting the Effbe diaphragms into their kits. These are new diaphragms made to support current fuels: https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/fuelsystem/fuel_pump_kit.cfm
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump kits. Reply with quote

Can anyone comment on the quality of the WW diaphragm shaft swedge? I had one pull out years ago and heard others having similar issues.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump kits. Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Can anyone comment on the quality of the WW diaphragm shaft swedge? I had one pull out years ago and heard others having similar issues.

Installed a WW updated fuel pump rebuild kit a couple years ago on a square top pump for my car.
It's been run in a 2180 street strip engine and now resides in my 1600 SP being daily driven.

If the concern is the Effbee diaphragm shaft coming loose. I'd say don't worry about it.

I have two other fuel pumps with the same rebuild kits in them. I tested them and they work just as good as the daily runner.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump kits. Reply with quote

The Wolfsburg West (WW) kits are top notch. They use the correct gasket material from the original manufacturer as of the last few years, in addition to making some other improvements to the kits components. Before that they sold the same generic kits that everyone has (which don't work right, btw)

And yes, to answer your question the kits are interchangeable between German Pierburg, Brazilian Pierburg, and also the Brazilain Brosol... So long as they are the square top, stock style. I agree that the brosol pumps are a cheaper overall build quality, but with a quality rebuild kit and some love, it should work fine Personally I wouldn't bother with anything other than Original German but that's mostly for my pride Laughing

These rebuildable pumps work great in my experience, very dependable. I always buy the German ones at swap meets when I can find them cheap. I pass on the real rusty and crusty ones but normally they are just caked with dried out grease and clean up really nice. Many times I get them for a buck or two. Some times guy just say's "it's yours" Laughing Twisted Evil Cool

Friendly tip, I always buy a few kits at a time. They are sealed up to last and WW is catching on, the price has been on the rise since the product's inception. I remember when they were maybe $30... still a good deal now... but just sayin' Razz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: