Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just scored big on my core motor purchase
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Just scored big on my core motor purchase Reply with quote

Sometimes you get lucky, other times not. This time I did I believe. I have been looking for months it seems for a near period correct motor for my June '55 deluxe. I was hoping to find a May or June vintage, but went ahead and bought a 75% complete motor (August '55) from a guy a few hours drive from me.

When I saw it, I was thinking what the heck am I getting into? It could be just a piece of junk. My concern is that it was just kinda thrown together and missing push rods and valve covers and head nuts, etc. Oil sump plate was there but loose so at least I could see into the camshaft area. Guy used the wrong screen though and the oil pickup tube had punched through the lower layer (later screen type was used), and in all effectiveness probably blocked the oil from getting sucked to the pump (thinking spun bearings, who knows).

BUT it was the only 1955 case I have seen that was not $500 (bare case!), so I took a chance.

I did notice some things were just not right on the good side. The bare rocker arms were unusually clean, like NEW. Hmmm. One side had no valves in it so dang whatever....

So I get the motor home and decide to poke around it a bit. Looking into the cam area it look really clean! The outside of the motor was free from the usual baked on grease. The tops of the heads were corroded a bit like it had been out in the weather but the engine turned over so no water inside. The bottom of the heads were shiny like they had just been rebuilt. HMMMMM.

I decided to pull the heads and sure enough the one with valves were brand new valves never run.

I look at the pistons/cylinders, and holy crap those are brand new NEVER RAN. I look closer, and there are stamps on the pistons, Std size, some kind of manuf. stamp. NICE!. I pull the other head and for sure just as clean and shiny inside. There is a smudge of a stamp on top of the piston. It says Made in Germany! Holy Crap I have a brand new set of German made P&C on this block! Here are some pictures.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Can anyone tell me what brand they are? I suspect Mahle due to the M shape. I did not see any casting marks on the cylinders but I have not taken them off yet.

Here is a shot of the rockers and the head.

Found out it has a new oil pump too! I think it measured 21mm gear size.

Lastly, I posted the casting code on the case. Can anyone decipher that as to when it was made?

I just cant wait to see what turns up in the bottom end! Oil passage was open due to no oil cooler or pressure sensor, so this case will get a full dismantle and galley clean when I am ready. Very Happy
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Just scored big on my core motor purchase Reply with quote

I would also guess Mahle. I think Kolbenschmidt was the other major piston supplier and that is definitely not the Kolbenschmidt logo.
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Just scored big on my core motor purchase Reply with quote

Yes mahle pistons

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Just scored big on my core motor purchase Reply with quote

Nice score!

6 9 35 on the one case half would be:
6th day of 9th month (September), production shift (3), year (5)
Sept. 6, 1955

2 9 15 is:
Sept. 2, 1955

It looks like a September case to me - What's the serial #?

August, 1955 is
1-1121 834 to 1-1150 857
September, 1955 is:
1-1150 858 to 1-1182 658
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Just scored big on my core motor purchase Reply with quote

Yes I see it is an early Sept case.

# 1-1159750

Thank you all for the info.
Dan
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Just scored big on my core motor purchase Reply with quote

Always a nice surprise to find new parts inside a mystery engine! Tear down include anymore good parts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Just scored big on my core motor purchase Reply with quote

Finally getting to the bottom end tear down. Some more nice surprises!

New bushings in the rods.

Looks like an aftermarket cam. Says made in Germany but no VW logo. I will have to look up LMB. Cam is not new but I will get it checked out.

Case was not fully cleaned by the previous mechanic. Still oily, and dirty from improper storage and magnesium corrosion. Main journals were not line bored. I need to get them measured. There is no ridge by feel on the #1 main. New bearings though!

Crank was ground! 0.010 under on the crank.

Some rust to clean off the journal and the pulley fit area.

Rod bearings are new. Rods were resized.

Geez I lucked out on this one. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Now some fun cleaning it up.

I already have the oil gallery plugs removed and installed removable plugs. I used SS from McMaster Carr.

Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Case cleanup Reply with quote

Continued with cleanup on the case. Sharing this detail in case others are looking to do the same thing.

Case had a lot of corrosion on the inside upper surface and in the generator stand cavity from just condensation. The cavity was so crusty it looked like it snowed in there. Nasty!

I first covered the bearing surfaces then took it to my blast cabinet with fine grit walnut shells. Did a good job but slow on removing the big crusties that form over the pitting. I think it did just as good a job as a soda blasting. No metal removal, only soft oxide, and not even the dark gray oxide. The pink blob is Naval Jelly. I was testing to see if it did any good on the corrosion removal. Not!.

This is after walnut blasting.

Then I experimented with some cleaning acids. First was phosphoric, testing various concentrations. Straight out of the bottle was best but it had to be in small patches and rinsed right away or the gray goo would reattach. Phosphoric left a white haze too. The stripes in this shot show the test bands.

Then I tested white vinegar and it took the haze off but not the dark corrosion. Probably would over time but it was slow. Next was pure crystallized acetic acid dissolved in warm water. About 2 tbsp to 1/4 cup water. WOW! Took the dark corrosion off, and even out of the pitting. Rinsed and scrubbed in warm water and holy cow that looks nice.

Now I am not worried about corrosion particulate coming off in the oil. I was very careful to keep the acid away from machined surfaces.

I know the finish will not last and will darken as the surface oxide comes back. My goal was to at least get it clean so the measurements can be done, and remove oil wetted area of potential loose corrosion. This has been accomplished. I want this motor to last a long time. Toying with the idea to send the case to Mr. Okrasa for his special coating, but I don't know....

Off to the machinist! And the case hardware goes off to the platers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: