Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

With great gratitude to John (jtauxe) I received the original blue PVC tilt a couple days ago. Now this thing is ratty, faded, torn, and everything else. BUT! It’s an original VW canopy. And I’m grateful to have it.

The plan is to use the canopy as a template for making another new canopy, using the original hardware for new components, location, sizing, etc...

So here it is, with zip ties and all. The canvas has been in storage, so the material needs to be stretched before it will completely attach to the gates as intended.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As you can see, the front and rear sections have separated from the main top section of the tilt. The work of getting all of the things back together is still in debate. I’m not sure of the best route to rejoin the canopy, this is a vinyl/tarp like material. Thoughts?

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nynone4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

NICE!

I have a '70 crew cab and also recently purchased a Brazilian tilt canopy (can height) that is a similar rubberized canvas material. Mine is in similar condition and I had planned to have a friend use it as a template to build a replacement as well. Curious to see what you end up doing to salvage the original. I'll be watching!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
The work of getting all of the things back together is still in debate. I’m not sure of the best route to rejoin the canopy, this is a vinyl/tarp like material. Thoughts?

Well, you sure have come a long way with that truck. Cool

I have some sewing experience, with difficult modifications and repairs to heavy-load military packs and also lightweight curtain material for the '77 bus we had.

IF... you can stand it, you can sew up that tear by backing it with a reinforcing strip and a two-pass parallel, wide stitch pattern using nylon upholstery thread. It WILL be a fair amount of work, not for the timid and will certainly test your patience. You will need a decent machine (Singer at least) and a big table to work it out on. Plenty of YouBoob videos out there to help you.

The reward will be an original VW piece that you can likely get many more years out of.

Question I just noticed the slots in your wheels. What did they come off of?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

That PVC canopy looks better than I remembered, but then, I never tried actually putting it on the frame.

Folks, that is the original blue 1978 canopy that came on the now-4-door DC.

I hemmed and hawed for a long time about repairing/rebuilding it, and then came across a NOS PVC one (which I still have but will be putting up for sale). Later, I decided that I want a cab-height canopy instead, and that will have to be built custom.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:
The work of getting all of the things back together is still in debate. I’m not sure of the best route to rejoin the canopy, this is a vinyl/tarp like material. Thoughts?

Question I just noticed the slots in your wheels. What did they come off of?

They are "stock" 15" Bus Wide 5x205 from CIP1. I was after a cheaper 15" wheel and came across them. Called over and chatted with a rep, said they were a decent wheel.
I think I paid around $300 for the set. I like the slotted wheel. Can't afford the slotted and drilled rotors, had to improvise Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
That PVC canopy looks better than I remembered, but then, I never tried actually putting it on the frame.

I'm very grateful to have given the chance to give it some more life. It's definitely useable, but very ratted on the top. I haven't begun my research yet on how to properly salvage it, but when I do so I'll make sure to document my procedures.

I had mixed feelings about the blue, really just looks like a blue tarp, but after installing it onto the truck, it looks right at home.

You're a good guy John, thanks for helping me out.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Through relentless searches and communication with the very knowledgable and kind people here on the Samba, it’s seems that the 5-Rib 002 transmission (built for type 4 engine) never had the input shaft swapped or shorten to mate to a type 1 upright engine.
Basically the input shaft was bottoming out on the gland nut and eliminating endplay within the engines. (my logic and theory)
I have paperwork that came with the truck stating that the transmission was swapped out from the original to this 5-rib (pyramid) in 1992. I wonder how many motors it claimed?!

Image of the 5-rib transmission input shaft measured from the end of the guide tube for the throwout bearing:

I took this time to put a 3-rib transmission I cleaned up, and went ahead and cut the 11mm clearance needed from the type 4 input shaft to create the type 1 shaft. As can be seen here:

I am going to be putting in a brand new 1600 dual port for distance and reliability. With the engine and transaxle out, I took liberty to finally do something about the sad and ugly engine bay. Doesn’t make much sense to have a nice truck and not paint the engine bay does it?

So I blasted it, taped off a bunch of stuff and shot Epoxy primer and L87 single stage Pearl White. A engine bay refresh let’s say.

Reading the TDS, I was able to topcoat the epoxy just over an hour, so I did just that. Here is the freshly shot Pearl White (L87):

FINALLY PAINT! I just hated how ragged the rear looked compared to the rest of the truck. With a shotty respray decades ago, rust in a couple spots, a Klassicfab funky green battery tray, I had to do something. With a warmer weather window, I took all day to blast, strip, prime and paint, so glad I did too.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Upon numerous inquires from friends and strangers alike, whom all were just in complete misery that my bumpers were still rusty, mismatched paint, and chipping in their years of neglect, I finally painted them the correct Cloud White.
Reused all the original stuff, though my rear splash pans were really rough. New front bumper hardware from WW.

This past Saturday I drove up to my friend’s shop to change the ball joints on the bus. Using his lift, his ball joint press and tools, and his decades of experience, I was able to achieve some sore muscles, new ball joints, but mostly the knowledge on how to do these correctly.

Post Replacement. Total time just shy of 4 hours.
First 1 1/2? Locating all the necessary tools...

The driving experience after replacing the ball joints is just so much nicer. To actually have the front suspension articulate and function properly, I’ve gained peace of mind and the creature comforts of the Bay beam.

Shortly to be followed by my points burning up...but I died off in front of a nice neighborhood, which prompted a nice cameo.

Nothing like a breakdown on the way to your mom’s birthday lunch Laughing

70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Upon numerous inquires from friends and strangers alike, whom all were just in complete misery that my bumpers were still rusty, mismatched paint, and chipping in their years of neglect, I finally painted them the correct Cloud White.

I wasn't going to say anything because I know how much time and effort you have in this truck so far.... but my OCD flared up every time I saw that bumper. Smile Kind of like buying a new pair of white tennis shoes and lacing them up with dirty old laces. I feel much better now.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

70Crew wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

I wasn't going to say anything because I know how much time and effort you have in this truck so far.... but my OCD flared up every time I saw that bumper. Smile Kind of like buying a new pair of white tennis shoes and lacing them up with dirty old laces. I feel much better now.

I’m glad to hear that’s all that’s flaring up these days Laughing

They do make the truck look much more finished. Then they look into the cabin and see the flaking repaint from the 80’s #oneday

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

So the family has a camping trip planned for this weekend. We’ll be headed up to Bull Shoals from just south of Little Rock, which is going to be about a 400 mile round trip. Coming up to nearly 500 miles on the new engine, I decided to do the follow up break-in interval inspection on how things are coming along since the build.

Happy to say, with a magnetic oil drain plug, there was just the tiniest amount of “goop”. The drained oil also had the slightest amount of metallic sheen. Very pleased with that discovery.

I also pulled the plugs, knowing the bus has been running rich, with much idle time and engaged choke with the cold weather, short drives around town. I went ahead and changed the spark plugs since the were just sooted to something terrible. Discovered a broken clamp on the rubber boot on the dual port intake manifold. Changed that out, perhaps that busted dude was contributing to some of my 3rd gear pull hesitation.

Tracked down a NOS vacuum canister for my distributor, which I installed yesterday. Very pleased to have the proper advance again. Had to jump hoops to find distributor grease, but Amazon came through with some Lubicam.

Embarking tomorrow morning for the hilly Ozark’s, I’ve got fresh oil, fresh spark plugs, a functioning advance canister, adjusted carb, full tank, and a list of camping gear to sort this evening. I’ll be bringing plenty of tools, being this the first true shakedown of the engine and bus’ relationship.

Hope you guys have a damn good weekend, springs almost here.

Sam

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Looking so nice!

I had the same issue with the bumpers on my 78 DC. It was all finished and beautiful, but the bumpers were still in faded Krylon, with chips and all. Looks good to have everything done.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

A little recap from this past weekend’s adventure.
Total Mileage: 352 miles
Average MPG: 16.53mpg

Took off mid-morning Friday, headed up to Northwest Arkansas. This terrain is very hilly and curving, slicing roads through the beautiful Ozark Mountains. Much of this area has the Buffalo River carving it’s way through the hills, much to be seen and admired from the roads, with some great turn-off points if one wanted to expand their sight-seeing. If you guys have never been, and find yourself in the area, the Buffalo River is a great spot, many drop-in’s for floating and lots of lodging/campsites to enjoy the wonderful state of Arkansas.

This is an overflow cove/boat drop in on the lake side of the lake. The White River is fed by this lake, controlled by the Bull Shoals Dam. Built in 1951, it’s still within the top 10 largest dams in the United States.

The White River may ring a bell to some, for it’s the number 1 river for trout fishing in the United States. The Game and Fish spend hundreds of thousands maintaining and stocking the river with Rainbow and Brown Trout, bringing people from all over the world to some damn good fishing. Fortunately though, this time of year was just before the waves of people started, so the campsite was quiet and mostly desolate.

The first night was COLD. Low 20’s, camp was directly to the river (which of course is dam fed), winds, and you’ve got yourself some cold toes in the morning. We had fire both morning and night.

One of my favorite things is getting away from all the lights to appreciate the stars. Nothing like a cold night, without light pollution to gaze at the millennia. Capture here with iPhone’s “night photo”. Yeah, I know. You want pretty time-lapsed images, hit up google.

This was the first real camping I’ve done in the double. My setup consisted of a tarp across the tilt (it rained Sunday night), stationed in the bed of the bus my small 2-man tent, an air mattress, my Slumberjack sleeping bag, and all my miscellaneous gear.

Full size air mattress and tarp setup was pretty legit, though I’m thinking of getting a larger tarp to have rain coverage on both sides. I’m also thinking about getting a canopy from a sporting shop (the bug netting ones) removing the canopy aspect and using the tilt to hold everything up for spring/summer camping. The roofing will be again, a larger tarp for wind and rain coverage. This will allow leaving the side gates up, and using the tail gate as the “door” for the make-shift tent.

Overall, a damn good time. One thing I noticed there was a lot of 3rd climbing the hills. Not that I think it’s off by much, but since replacing the vacuum canister on the distributor, I’m going to double check my timing, I feel as if I can advance it another couple of degrees for better climbing abilities. I need to get an alignment, and investigate the chatter I’m getting from up front. I’m leaning towards a wheel bearing as it’s relative to speed and tire rotation. Nothing like a 300 mile shakedown trip. I plan on attending the Foul Air 500 later this month. A 500 mile road trip VW caravan through the Ozarks of Arkansas and Oklahoma, as I’ve wanted to participate for some years now.

Happy cruising,
Sam

Last edited by SamboSamba22 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

So glad to read your trip report! Good for you for getting out there and living it, man. Envious!

I know you know that you can do the front end alignment all by yourself. I learned on this forum how to do it from solid people before me. My ‘73 tracks nice and straight after the front beam refresh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EliasP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

That truck looks really good! I like that condition, fresh and nice, but not so overrestored that you don't dare to use it. I like the chapel and the logos too.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
So glad to read your trip report! Good for you for getting out there and living it, man. Envious!

I know you know that you can do the front end alignment all by yourself. I learned on this forum how to do it from solid people before me. My ‘73 tracks nice and straight after the front beam refresh.

I was just thinking a couple days ago to give you a call, see how life's going. I've read up on the string alignment trick, did it on my 74 West a few years ago. I'm really only considering taking it to an old timer because my steering box is truly, just worn out. I'm curious if he's got some insight on what to do before I take that plunge and replace it. When I rebuilt it, the worm gear and peg had pitting from apparent water sitting inside the box. I've since replaced the 80/90 gear oil with grease, which has smoothed some things out. It's definitely quieter now.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

EliasP wrote:
That truck looks really good! I like that condition, fresh and nice, but not so overrestored that you don't dare to use it. I like the chapel and the logos too.

Tack själv my man.
The intent was to build something one could tell I cared about it, while at the same time having no concern of bumps and bruises from use. It'll look really good when my interior panels finally come in and it still has the flakey house paint inside Laughing

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Very Happy Put a handful of pine sawdust in the steering gearbox like a pimpin’ used car salesman. Guaranteed to quiet it down and make it feel nice and tight! Surprised
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

By the way, hit up eBay or Etsy and put some period bumper stickers on there. Something like a Nixon sticker or some Carter administration thing.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: A Pick-Em Up Truck Tale - 1968 Double Cab Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
By the way, hit up eBay or Etsy and put some period bumper stickers on there. Something like a Nixon sticker or some Carter administration thing.

I like this idea. Time to take to the Google machine.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: