Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chop Top Fest
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Chop Top Fest Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
Volksrods are another story. The lack of rear fenders makes some short cuts easier.

'Splain...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Chop Top Fest Reply with quote

You don’t have to worry about rear wheel arch and deck lid alignment. There are many ways to skin a cat. And a few ways include dropping the back back of the roof and rear window essentially making the engine compartment smaller. Not simply fixed by raising the rear window. You have to really plan ahead to get the angles similar to factory.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Chop Top Fest Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
You don’t have to worry about rear wheel arch and deck lid alignment. There are many ways to skin a cat. And a few ways include dropping the back back of the roof and rear window essentially making the engine compartment smaller. Not simply fixed by raising the rear window. You have to really plan ahead to get the angles similar to factory.

Got it. Generally, you follow the pinched drip rail when you chop a VW the conventional way. Pie cuts are your friend when you're doing an angle chop and I think you kind of wing it when you drop the whole top down into the engine compartment. Fred Hidalgo's car is a conventional chop, following the rain gutters. You could put a rear clip and fenders back on that car and the chop would still be one of, if not the nicest chops out there.
Cgomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Chop Top Fest Reply with quote

So i am new here and Just bought my first beetle. I did own a 53 chevy pick-up wich i chopped 2 inch.
And i have not seen a good looking chopped beetle yet. The most Just seem a bid off to me. Either becomming a hunchback or flat in the midlle.

So now i am researching on choptop beetles trying to Come up with ideas.
I did like 1 that was on here but the post went cold so i could not see how it ended.
jorgsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Chop Top Fest Reply with quote

I started chopping a 1954 vw bug (oval), so follow my story and
check it out on:
https://classiccarsbyjorg.com/blog

it is a 8cm chop with slanted windscreen and suicide doors.

feel free to read, suggest or comment

Jorg
vw356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Chop Top Fest Reply with quote

I just did my first full chop on a customer's car.
Took me 2 full weeks. Saved the rear side vents just because I thought it would look cool.
3" cut out of the front and side windows and 4" out of the back window just so the tops of the windows are all at about the same height.
No bondo in it yet in these pictures and very little will be needed!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Chop Top Fest Reply with quote

Looks good. Nice work.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
vw356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Chop Top Fest Reply with quote

Thank You! First time trying a chop like this. I would do the 3rd roof skin differently from now on though. But window openings and door frames all look very good in person. Again, no bondo in it yet, and very little will be needed.

And to all that read this.. All I do is metal projects of all kinds, every day. Spiral stairways, regular stairways, buildings, cars, whatever!
6,000 square foot shop in my back yard fully equipped and an enclosed trailer for on site jobs fully equipped too! I AM FOR HIRE! And I LOVE building stuff!
Thank You!
vw356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Chop Top Fest Reply with quote

More pictures of this one in my gallery pictures, or email me for more.
Fenders are fiberglass, rear shell and rear apron are modified BGW Spectre parts. The rest is vw metal. Car is a hard top convertible.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: