Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
I still wonder how the loom is routed inside the rear kickup and if it goes under or over the torsion bar housing tube.

How in the world would it be fed in the loom tubing even with a flare.

Itis difficult enough to feed a leading wire and the loom on a bus without bellypans. When I built my (belly pan) chassis I put a 2mm steel wire in while building the rails, so I can later pull the wire loom. I wonder if they had something similar in Wolfsburg.

Funny you should say that. I have a situation on a belly-pan bus where, after removing the loom, my feeder wire has become dislodged. So I need to thread the loom back through the bus blind...

It seems the loom has to be threaded through from the rear.
This is my thought on the rear loom routing:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wonder if a tube also runs through the enclosed area, allowing you to thread the loom with relative ease above the cradle and torsion bar attachment points.

I intend to use a fish tape/draw tape.

Comments and advice welcomed!

(Thank you to Jeff at JC Welding Services for the chassis pictures)
http://jcweldingservices.co.uk/?portfolio-post=barndoor-chassis

Last edited by RockStock on Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

awesome chassis by Jeff ! Shocked Cool
here are some personal thoughts. Don't know whether true or not.
I believe the rear tube end should just extent inside the angled frame reinforcement,no?
another thought, of what you posted on the front frame loom routing.
I have that idea of what if they fed the wire loom with the chassis upside down ? gravitiy would help in feeding the wire loom over the rear torsion tube ( would slide under, when chassis is upside down). then it could find its way into the flared tube end. the angled frame reinforcment would guide the loom end down and into the tube. when the loom is pushed further and out of the front of the tube and being upside down it would also help finding its way through the front frame kickup.
I still believe they must have had a wire or similar provided to also pull the loom.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
I believe the rear tube end should just extent inside the angled frame reinforcement,no?

Yes - corrected

Just to put the two halves side-by-side:

BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

Always learning new things...
Figured I would ad this here.
While looking at an original Barndoor double door panel recently I noticed this support bracket. It looks crude and home made but I did just confirm originality by seeing it on other builds in here. Not really sure why It was needed but it’s there. I wasn’t able to roll around inspecting. Maybe another look is necessary. I’m now wondering if the ends are tacked in place or if they used this bracket method instead. Post barndoors I have seen did not have the bracket.

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

Help me out here...pull wire not finding the tube

Thinking of getting a different version of draw tape...using an endoscopic inspection camera...or cutting an access hole in the rear long rail.

This is the route I think it takes...

The square block is where I’m considering cutting...

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

Don't cut !!! Embarassed

I'd get some 2mm garden fence wire ( the vinyl covered green one, it's slippery) instead of the flexible draw.

with the wire, roll a small , flat loop to it on the front tip, that will easily go inside the loom conduit. then while wiggling it back and forth, you can preshape the bends in the wire so it will at some point find its way into the conduit. I have even installed looms like this in Maserati Mistrals. and they are a bi*** also running the wire conduit in the outer rockers.

wow, that is a LOT og paint on the chassis. 115*** is pretty late.... Very Happy

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

Thank you for the encouragement and advice, Jack
I’ll give the garden wire a go.
We think the stumbling block is that kick-up to the conduit.

djfordmanjack wrote:
wow, that is a LOT og paint on the chassis. 115*** is pretty late.... Very Happy

Thanks. 115, Feb 55...
Yes, most of what you can see there is original paint.
I’ve used various grades of wire brush, and also some wet & dry sandpaper.
It looks way better than it did - see my pictures here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48738&start=60
A lesson in not just getting everything sandblasted.

djfordmanjack wrote:
I still believe VW must have had a wire or similar provided to also pull the loom.

Yes, must have done

Here’s a couple of pictures of the front conduit area on my bus.
Silt has built up here, and rotted it out - probably travelling up the open front end of the chassis rail?
The conduit sits up high, and passes through and past the diagonal plate.
This is located just behind the rhs front outrigger, and above the area where the beam support rails bolt up.

I could really do with a picture of the rear conduit exit area.
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring conduit details on belly pan Buses? Reply with quote

Fabulous stuff and thanks to all who posted. As might be typical in older buses, the PO did a complete hack job on wiring and actually brought it up through the rear deck and tucked wires underneath the carpeting and floor mats. Yikes! Additionally, he cut all the wires where they exit the floor deck and then re-attached them with tabs, so I've got something like a tennis ball sized clump down there. This will make it easier to do it right!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: