Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pedro's bus - 67' sea blue standard
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedro's bus - 67' sea blue standard Reply with quote

progress looks great!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedro's bus - 67' sea blue standard Reply with quote

i replaced an outer reduction box bearing and painted the boxes and axle tubes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

its ready to go in

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedro's bus - 67' sea blue standard Reply with quote

its been awhile since posting, I didn't do too much this summer as camping was the weekend priority. Thought I'd post some blurry pics to celebrate.
After a transmission problem with the unknown transmission, I have a trans installed that shifts, hooked up the metal brake lines tonight.

Added some wheels to my 'cart' . Little by little.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Pedro's bus - 67' sea blue standard Reply with quote

Looking good Rob !! Keep moving foward !!

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedro's bus - 67' sea blue standard Reply with quote

I had help from Justin to install the steering box and wiring harness so now im just hooking up the rest of the wires.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pedro's bus - 67' sea blue standard Reply with quote

I hope to finish this project this year...

anyhow, the rear facing so42 jumpseat was rotten. I had my very talented cabinet maker, carpenter , neighbor Ralph build a new one. So lucky to have him help me. He made it look easy. I used laminate from NLAVW.

redhotgto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Pedro's bus - 67' sea blue standard Reply with quote

all the work looks awesome man, will be watching
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Pedro's bus - 67' sea blue standard Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
I had help from Justin to install the steering box and wiring harness so now im just hooking up the rest of the wires.

I hope the steering column yoke and support bracket can be installed past the speedo pod, otherwise you're going to have to go back a few steps to go forward. Don't forget the seal at the floor too.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Pedro's bus - 67' sea blue standard Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
iamdonquixote wrote:

I hope the steering column yoke and support bracket can be installed past the speedo pod, otherwise you're going to have to go back a few steps to go forward. Don't forget the seal at the floor too.

Gordo.

Ah good point! I'm not sure Sad maybe someone else knows.? This project has been a lot of steps forward then back.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Pedro's bus - 67' sea blue standard Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
iamdonquixote wrote:

Gordo.

Ah good point! I'm not sure Sad maybe someone else knows.? This project has been a lot of steps forward then back.

You can put those pieces on with the column installed, you just need to spin the bracket once you slide it on. No problem. Good luck with your project. Nice looking bus!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Pedro's bus - 67' sea blue standard Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
iamdonquixote wrote:
iamdonquixote wrote:

Gordo.

You can put those pieces on with the column installed, you just need to spin the bracket once you slide it on. No problem. Good luck with your project. Nice looking bus!

Thanks nothern neighbor!

I reupholstered the bench seat back well more like upholstered since the back was missing k
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Pedro's bus - 67' sea blue standard Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:

Still when doing that, loosen up all the steering box mounting fasteners first. Then install the upper mount. Only when all is in place bolted together loosely, tighten down it all barely snugly, and lastly tighten down to proper torque.

DPO did not do that when installing the steering box in our 1960 walk thru panel camper. Resulted in uneven pressure at the upper mount pushing forward. Which lead to the dash above the speedo pod flexing enough to crack and pop off dash paint....
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Pedro's bus - 67' sea blue standard Reply with quote

I'm still working on this project! Lol.

Got the wheels painted! (and the back of the bumpers)

iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedro's bus - 67' sea blue standard Reply with quote

Bumpers are painted
Bus is on its own wheels for the first time in a while

iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedro's bus - 67' sea blue standard Reply with quote

Doors hatch apron decklid and front window frames are done.
The final assembly can now take place

Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Pedro's bus - 67' sea blue standard Reply with quote

It’s looking great Rob!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedro's bus - 67' sea blue standard Reply with quote

I still tast
the paint
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Pedro's bus - 67' sea blue standard Reply with quote

I read the entire thread (and will continue to follow), but what color is that? Sorry if I missed it. It came out real nice!
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Pedro's bus - 67' sea blue standard Reply with quote

volkswagen60 wrote:
I read the entire thread (and will continue to follow), but what color is that? Sorry if I missed it. It came out real nice!

Velvet Green.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Pedro's bus - 67' sea blue standard Reply with quote

to reiterate the steps for the paint / bodywork for any interested in that part of the process ( this the part after the welding is done ).

* all panels/doors were stripped to bare metal and or sand blasted. rust treatment was applied on any areas with micro rust areas.

* filler was applied to bare metal then sanded

* epoxy primer was sprayed after doors were thoroughly cleaned
the epoxy paint was ppg

* 2 k primer/surfacer was applied and sanded in total two - three coats
the primer surfacer was smart brand,nason and another brand can't remember

* any small imperfections were treated with spot putty.

* another coat of 2k was applied then wet/dry sanded.

* topcoat was applied 2-3 coats.
a nason urethane paint was used.

* wet sanding and/or buffing will occur at some point.

jim phillips "the paint taster" was the in charge of this process and he did most of the actual spraying. both of us did sanding. I did all the welding on the body : Lower rear corner, outriggers,jack points, both rockers, lower doglegs,front outer floors,lower nose, cargo floors, probably a few other places I forgot.
Two of the doors ( one front and one cargo ) had lower sections welded in.

Last edited by iamdonquixote on Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: