Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 type 3 seat rail slides.
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: 73 type 3 seat rail slides. Reply with quote

I ordered a set and arrived today. These are terrible all sorts of flash can't say they will work. I trimmed the flash off so I'll see. Trouble is J Bugs does not show large photos. I looked at west coast metric and theirs look so much better so I emailed them to tell me IF they look like the photo's.

I've had this happen before with the horn contact ring and got one J Bugs crap then ISP and theirs was the same vendor. Seems these places change vendors all the time and it all becomes the same stuff.

I wish I could see parts in person yet there are no places here I can just in my car and drive to and ISP doesn't have these. There used to be not any more.

These are better than nothing if they fit yet man what a lousy casting job.
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 type 3 seat rail slides. Reply with quote

May or may not help, but you might try some of the early water-cooled vendors.
Black forest Industries comes to mind, but there are others.

If I remember right - they're the same part # as for a Rabbit, maybe even later cars, since they didn't change the seat sliders from 72 till the early 90s(?). Then again, they might be getting their stuff from the same manufacturer...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 type 3 seat rail slides. Reply with quote

BSQUARE wrote:
May or may not help, but you might try some of the early water-cooled vendors.
Black forest Industries comes to mind, but there are others.

If I remember right - they're the same part # as for a Rabbit, maybe even later cars, since they didn't change the seat sliders from 72 till the early 90s(?). Then again, they might be getting their stuff from the same manufacturer...

Yes that's the part that is so irritating. What vendor do these places use. Most or all does any one who is in charge of what vendor to use even look at these parts or do they even know what they are looking at/for.

I hope these work simply because I am 71 and don't have money to toss out knowing it's not worth the cost of shipping to send them back. If they don't I did email another source West Coast Metric since their photo looks like the real deal yet it's close to what I paid for these. I should have done more research before. I just don't know. If WCM tells me what I get is what the photo shows and these don't fit then I guess I'll wait and get those. I don't like doing things twice who does, if it's my mistake then I blame me. Worked for Ford over 40 years and saw how parts became cheap through the years. I couldn't tell the customer all I could do was fix only what was needed and many times if it was a simple little thing I did it for free. 1 hour labor was a lot.

Personally if I worked at one of these places and saw this I would have sent the entire shipment back to that vendor, I would not sell this with a clear conscience unless I warned the buyer you need to do some work for these to come close to working , yet we are stuck. J Bugs has these videos as you probably know, why not film one fitting these.

I have gotten some parts that fit perfect, it seems to be not all yet most of the molded plastic parts that are junk.

Reminds me of buying a used car hoping it will stay in one piece when one knows nothing about mechanics.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 73 type 3 seat rail slides. Reply with quote

It's a shame you don't have a VW pick n pull yard near you. It might be worth taking a walk thru on, and look at a few water cooled car seats to see about getting what you need. If I remember right, the originals where gray in color, and were 3 pieces (1 at the top, and 2 at the bottom) at the rear of the seat sliders. It's been a while since I've seen those in person.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 73 type 3 seat rail slides. Reply with quote

My originals were white, the top ones are still there. I'll try these on the drivers seat and if they don't fit I'll wait and see what WCM says. Theirs look like the real deal.

As long as these fit and stay on the the seats slide easy enough then I'll live with these. The tracks aren't bent or rusty. I was able to remove the flash , they look like they were cast it two halves with the parting line all around the outside edge there were flash ridges on the inside as well where they fit over the seat rear metal pads. I trimmed all that off . I should have posted a photo, just didn't think to do it.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 type 3 seat rail slides. Reply with quote

I just looked and it's only missing one outer on the right seat . I tried to push one of the new ones in and it might go with force or sanding down some of the height. Maybe once it's on the seat tab it will fit better yet I sort of doubt it.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 type 3 seat rail slides. Reply with quote

I removed the right seat and replaced the plastic guides.

These are photo's of what the originals looked like. Only the right outer rear was worn , I was surprised they were all there both seats.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The new ones are different for the rear slides yet went right on the seat rear pads . The new rears are one piece and white the old ones as shown in the photo's are black and two for each rear. I cleaned the rails a bit of surface rust on the bottom and lubed them and the front with silicone grease plus cleaned the gunk off the seat center rail .

I put the seat back in place and it's a bit of a fight yet the seat slid right in the tracks with the new guides and works perfect, no more rattle. The outer rail had surface rust which caused the slides to wear. I haven't had the seats out since the mid 90's and never looked yet thought I lost the guides sending the seats to be redone. No way were they coming off doing that.

I vacuumed everything and noticed the floor near the seat side rails also has surface rust , no pitting rust that I can get off easy. This is because when I got this car in 85 the fresh air box drain was plugged, noticed this while I was wet sanding the car to paint and the floor was flooded. I can't say how many times it flooded before I bought it.

I'm not going to do anything with this surface rust, hasn't gotten one bit worst since 85 and at my age I'll be long gone before I'd begin to worry.

If I were young, had the funds and replacing the carpet then sure I'd wire brush it off and paint it and replace the tar board with whatever is used today.

The drivers side are not worn , mainly because I rarely move than seat for or aft and the passenger side I only move it to get at the battery. The floor under the battery has the same surface rust and it has not gotten one bit worse it has no pitting either.

Any way No more seat rattle and I'll do the left one later on.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 73 type 3 seat rail slides. Reply with quote

Good deal. Is the left side missing any? If not, I'd leave it alone. The OE parts are much better than the aftermarket ones.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 73 type 3 seat rail slides. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Good deal. Is the left side missing any? If not, I'd leave it alone. The OE parts are much better than the aftermarket ones.

Yes they are all there , the left seat slides are still good no rocking at all.
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 73 type 3 seat rail slides. Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
...and ISP doesn't have these.

We carry some but I'm not sure of the quality. The website is all sorts of jumbled at the moment but we're working on clearing that up this year. If you want to send me a PM I'll make sure we get the site updated with the best available seat guides for future customers. Cheers.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: