Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

In what direction should the exhaust flow be?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
58Olstor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: In what direction should the exhaust flow be? Reply with quote

Help!

In my 1961 panel van there is an 1970 40hp 1285cc bug engine.
The manifold has a preheating tube and I wonder what direction the exhaust flow is going (Left, right or pulsation) and what design the exhaust system should have for this to work?
Manifold part number is 113.129.701 K 5
Existing exhaust systems are a rebuilt beetle system and do not appear to have worked very well...
I should have had a standard exhaust bus system adapted to the bug engine but don't know which one.

Torstein Olsen
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: In what direction should the exhaust flow be? Reply with quote

Appears to be right to left (looking straight at the manifold)

Maybe?
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58Olstor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: In what direction should the exhaust flow be? Reply with quote

Culito wrote:

Appears to be right to left (looking straight at the manifold)

Maybe?

Thanks for reply. can see that there's more metal on the left side and if the exhaust coming from the right, maybe both sides will be equally hot.
There are various designs of exhaust systems. Which type will provide exhaust flow from right to left?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: In what direction should the exhaust flow be? Reply with quote

It depends on the muffler. Some mufflers have the "tube" on the right, some on the left, the "tube" is always the outlet or downstream side of the pre-heater. I'm very aware of this because if it is on the left I can't run it with a CB filter pump (it hits the filter).

If you're running a header or aftermarket exhaust, you probably have zero flow through the tube anyway, unless you've made modifications we've discussed here.

The pre-heat tube under the manifold doesn't care which direction the exhaust is flowing, as long as it IS flowing.

58Olstor wrote:

Which type will provide exhaust flow from right to left?

Mufflers that have the "tube" on the left.

'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58Olstor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: In what direction should the exhaust flow be? Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
It depends on the muffler. Some mufflers have the "tube" on the right, some on the left, the "tube" is always the outlet or downstream side of the pre-heater. I'm very aware of this because if it is on the left I can't run it with a CB filter pump (it hits the filter).

If you're running a header or aftermarket exhaust, you probably have zero flow through the tube anyway, unless you've made modifications we've discussed here.

The pre-heat tube under the manifold doesn't care which direction the exhaust is flowing, as long as it IS flowing.

58Olstor wrote:

Thank you! Very Happy I think the manifold is designed for exhaust flow from right to left but for type 2 bus I can not find an exhaust system designed for this ...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: In what direction should the exhaust flow be? Reply with quote

58Olstor wrote:

Thank you! Very Happy I think the manifold is designed for exhaust flow from right to left but for type 2 bus I can not find an exhaust system designed for this ...

Intake manifold will work either way with various Beetle stock mufflers.

Any stock Bus type muffler with outlet to the dampener on the left should be designed for right to left flow as long as it has the vacuum pipe.
58Olstor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: In what direction should the exhaust flow be? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
58Olstor wrote:

Any stock Bus type muffler with outlet to the dampener on the left should be designed for right to left flow as long as it has the vacuum pipe.

Thank you so much for trying to help me Smile The problem is that I can't find an exhaust system for bus with my beetle engine that has vacuum pipe on the left side.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: In what direction should the exhaust flow be? Reply with quote

58Olstor wrote:

Is that the intake manifold for the engine?
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: In what direction should the exhaust flow be? Reply with quote

58Olstor wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
58Olstor wrote:

Thank you so much for trying to help me Smile The problem is that I can't find an exhaust system for bus with my beetle engine that has vacuum pipe on the left side.

I don't understand.

You have a 40hp engine for you bus? so you want a 40hp bus exhaust.
If you are running fresh air, you want a fresh air 40hp bus exhaust.
If you are running the stale air, you want a stale air 40hp bus exhaust.

It is hard to see, but i think your pic may be a 1500/1600 manifold.
look at where the intake attaches to the head:
40hp intake:

1500/1600 sp intake:
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: In what direction should the exhaust flow be? Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:

58Olstor wrote:

Whats the modification?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: In what direction should the exhaust flow be? Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Whats the modification?

I've seen a set of gaskets for the riser where one has a small hole on it instead of the normal port hole. I'd assume that would create some sort of flow. "Which way" the flow happens should not really matter so long as there is one!?! Confused
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: In what direction should the exhaust flow be? Reply with quote

Looks like the new Dansk 1300/1500/1600 bus muffler has the pipe on the right!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1952965

Thai still could be used with small heat riser gasket then on the left side.

Nice thing about that pipe being on that side is one can much more easily use the Maxi 2 oil filter pump without any worry of the filter being in the way of the vacuum pipe.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: In what direction should the exhaust flow be? Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
crofty wrote:
Whats the modification?

I've seen a set of gaskets for the riser where one has a small hole on it instead of the normal port hole. I'd assume that would create some sort of flow. "Which way" the flow happens should not really matter so long as there is one!?! Confused

That is just going to have same pressure on each side. One would have to drill the front of the muffler body and make/weld in a vacuum pipe.
58Olstor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: In what direction should the exhaust flow be? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
pyrOman wrote:
crofty wrote:
Whats the modification?

That is just going to have same pressure on each side. One would have to drill the front of the muffler body and make/weld in a vacuum pipe.

Thank you so much for trying to help me Smile
My 1961 type 2 bus has is a 1970 40hp beetle 1285cc engine. It has heating boxes and additionally preheating of the manifold.
The manifold is designed so that the exhaust flow goes from right to left to provide equal preheating to the cylinders.
The exhaust system must then have vacuum pipe (curved pipe) on the left and in addition connections for heating boxes.
I can't find a bus exhaust system designed like this but for beetle there are many suppliers. It looks like I need to modify an exhaust system or use a beetle exhaust system
58Olstor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: In what direction should the exhaust flow be? Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
crofty wrote:
Whats the modification?

It looks like I need to modify an exhaust system or use a beetle exhaust system
58Olstor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: In what direction should the exhaust flow be? Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Bruce Amacker wrote:

58Olstor wrote:

Whats the modification?

My 1961 type 2 bus has is a 1970 40hp beetle 1285cc engine. It has heating boxes and additionally preheating of the manifold.
The manifold is designed so that the exhaust flow goes from right to left to provide equal preheating to the cylinders.
The exhaust system must then have vacuum pipe (curved pipe) on the left and in addition connections for heating boxes.
I can't find a bus exhaust system designed like this but for beetle there are many suppliers. It looks like I need to modify an exhaust system or use a beetle exhaust system
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: In what direction should the exhaust flow be? Reply with quote

58Olstor wrote:

Just use the Dansk Bus muffler (if you are using the 1300/1500/1600 intake manifold) and switch the gaskets on the intake pre-heat pipe. The pre-heat pipe built into the intake does not care which way the flow is to heat it up.
58Olstor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: In what direction should the exhaust flow be? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
58Olstor wrote:

Just use the Dansk Bus muffler (if you are using the 1300/1500/1600 intake manifold) and switch the gaskets on the intake pre-heat pipe. The pre-heat pipe built into the intake does not care which way the flow is to heat it up.

I think the exhaust stream should be from right to left in the preheater pipe to the manifold. The reason is that there is more metal on the left side of the manifold.
When the exhaust goes from right to left it will first release heat on the right side with a higher temperature than when it comes to the left side.
When the exhaust comes to the left, the temperature is a little lower, but here it is more metal. The exhaust then gives off more heat than on the right side but with a slightly lower temperature.
In theory, then, total heat transfer to the cylinders becomes equal on the left and right sides as the exhaust goes from right to left. I think...
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: In what direction should the exhaust flow be? Reply with quote

I have some heat riser to exhaust gaskets with a much smaller hole than the ones that come in a gasket kit. I have never been certain where and when to use them. I think there purpose was to aid in directing the flow through the heat riser. Anyone know about these?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: In what direction should the exhaust flow be? Reply with quote

58Olstor wrote:

I think the exhaust stream should be from right to left in the preheater pipe to the manifold. The reason is that there is more metal on the left side of the manifold...

Well VW seemed to not think that. Several times VW had mufflers made with the vacuum pipe switched to the other side for beetle, and kept the same intake manifold pre-heat pipe design.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: