Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RHD Cabrio Wiring loom routing
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:24 am    Post subject: RHD Cabrio Wiring loom routing Reply with quote

I know this question has been asked before as I have spent far too much time reading old Samba posts, but no good answers appear and it was last asked some goodly time ago. So trying again may connect with new readers, at least that is what I hope!
I have a 1954 RHD Cabrio with a long history of modifications that needs a new wiring loom. I have not found anyone who reproduces this one, but templates for later 50's cabrios are available so one manufacturer will give it a go for me using the 1954 wiring diagramme and colours, and the later template.
The one that came out was laid along the inside edge of the left heater channel on the inside of the car and laid on the pan under the mats. Probably not correct as far as I can deduce. If it is supposed to travel inside the heater channel like the LHD models, where does it enter and leave the channel? The route from where it appears under the back seat towards the rear is fairly obvious.
Also, where do the semaphore wires run? Photos would be great, if anyone has loaded some in the gallery I would value the links. Here is what mine looked like where it exited under the rear seat.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Lars B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD Cabrio Wiring loom routing Reply with quote

On My 56 LHD the cable goes in the right heater channel.
Cant see any reason why the should change cable side on a RHD.

The semaphore cable goes on the rear seat bar using metal tabs (you can se one of them on your picture), and thru holes in the sides (you have the hole on your picture too)
Maybe you have metal tabs that could indicate what the original side was.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD Cabrio Wiring loom routing Reply with quote

FYI - from the 1957 Type 1 Beetle VW parts manual

main harness - wiring (RHD) VW part #152 971 011A for Kabriolett body #15 997 up thru Kab "body" #24 510

Main harness - wiring (RHD) VW part #152 971 011D for Kabriolett "body" # 24 511 thru Kab "body" #39 038

main harness - wiring (blinker) (RHD) VW part #152 971 055 for Kabriolett up thru Kab "body" #24 510

Main harness - wiring (blinker) (RHD) VW part #152 971 055B for Kabriolett "body" # 24 511 thru Kab "body" #39 038

Similar as mentioned above by "Lars B", on my '57 LHD USA spec Kabriolet project, the main wiring harness enters the right side heater channel thru a hole/tunnel low down in the front right side quarter panel and then passes rearward thru a accordian style foil/paper hose inside and through the heater channel/body stiffener and exits back into the rear seat area thru a hole/tunnel near the floor near the rear quarter panel. I can't shed any light on the path of the harness for a RHD Kabriolett, but I image that VW simply made a different harness with longer wiring and simply used the right side heater channel too? I certainly could be wrong though.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: RHD Cabrio Wiring loom routing Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys. I have finally found another RHD 1954 to compare with, and the loom does run in the same manner as the LHD versions with different length wiring behind the dash. It runs along the inner edge of the heater channel in the groove that is pressed there. Later models, from late 1956 I think, ran inside the support rail under the heater channel inside a cardboard and metal tube. Now to mortgage my children and get a new loom made!
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD Cabrio Wiring loom routing Reply with quote

Grot wrote:
Thanks for the comments guys. I have finally found another RHD 1954 to compare with, and the loom does run in the same manner as the LHD versions with different length wiring behind the dash. It runs along the inner edge of the heater channel in the groove that is pressed there. Later models, from late 1956 I think, ran inside the support rail under the heater channel inside a cardboard and metal tube. Now to mortgage my children and get a new loom made!

There is a company in the UK that makes RHD looms for Kabrios
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD Cabrio Wiring loom routing Reply with quote

Yes, Jon Aaron at vwlooms.com in the UK is building me one now. He did not have the 1954 template until he managed to get a customer car to use as his pattern recently. He has patterns for many different models, both RHD and LHD. There is also a company in Australia that has just secured an ex-UK 1955 Cabrio to use as a pattern, so they will be offering looms as well. vinwire.com.au
nbvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: RHD Cabrio Wiring loom routing Reply with quote

Grot wrote:
Yes, Jon Aaron at vwlooms.com in the UK is building me one now. He did not have the 1954 template until he managed to get a customer car to use as his pattern recently. He has patterns for many different models, both RHD and LHD. There is also a company in Australia that has just secured an ex-UK 1955 Cabrio to use as a pattern, so they will be offering looms as well. vinwire.com.au

Have you heard from Jon lately? He was building me a loom and then it's been radio silence for over a month now and I can't get a hold of him.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: