Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

A Dog Called Bear wrote:
... I can’t find a switch for the (UK) mandatory rear foglight (the light itself is another thing that’s currently missing, so I can’t easily test it) ...

When my car arrived in Canada from the UK it had a cheap rear fog light mounted:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I found a nice Hella (2NE 003 030-151) rear fog light for a replacement:

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

A Dog Called Bear wrote:
Thanks hopkin, I’ll find myself a radio blanking plate from a 60s or 70s car. I definitely have a front and rear heated screen, so two of the switches must operate those. I can’t find a switch for the (UK) mandatory rear foglight (the light itself is another thing that’s currently missing, so I can’t easily test it) but the switch must be there somewhere. There’s also a lighter hidden under the dash on the r/h side.

the orange button is most likely for the rear fog light. take a pic of its connections from the back of the dashboard in the front compartment.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
plagos_g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

En route to a local (national) event .
Will be adding pictures when I take some.
XV Junta Nacional de Beetlefriends, Talca 2020
Lots of mexi and Brazilian ones should be there

Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Here in the Netherlands they are switching from E5 to E10 fuel (instead of 5% ethanol itnow has 10% ethanol).
I wonder if our 1600i's are already prepared for ethanol fuel? Weren't they using ethanol in the fuel for a long time in Mexico?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

For sure in Brazil. Mexico, no idea.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
Here in the Netherlands they are switching from E5 to E10 fuel (instead of 5% ethanol itnow has 10% ethanol).
I wonder if our 1600i's are already prepared for ethanol fuel? Weren't they using ethanol in the fuel for a long time in Mexico?

We have 10% here (and in the US where I travel a lot as well), I've been running it since I bought the car with no problem. There are a few stations (Shell Hi Octane) with 0% ethanol. It's the most expensive. I run that in late fall so that when I store the car for the winter there is no ethanol gas in the car.

I wouldn't expect any problems.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

In Mexico City the ethanol fuel is banned, due environmental regulations, but in the 31 mexican states the ethanol (10%) can be find it in any gas station.
Many of my customers change the rubber fuel hoses often when they use ethanol in the Sedan 1600i, it looks like the ethanol cracks the rubber quickly.
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I shouldn't be a problem then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

A Dog Called Bear wrote:

This is a pic of my ratty dashboard:

I wonder if that switch at the top, center, is a bypass for the alarm. The offset location (from the other two switches) matches the hole for the later style alarm FOB:

Oh, and I have to back track on what I was thinking about the glovebox. A glovebox for a RHD car won't fit as the fuse panel would be in the way. You can see in my photo, (ignore arrow, it's from an old post), that the glovebox sticks out further than the relays on the fuse panel. It would be major work to fit one:

Beetles UK had a (not too deep) shelf that they used. Maybe you could find one at a scrap yard. Not the best picture, but this flyer shows it:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
A Dog Called Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thanks for the BeetlesUK flyer hopkin, that's great to see! Do you have any more B-UK material, or is any hosted somewhere on TheSamba?

And thanks for the pic of the rat's nest of wiring on the bulkhead, no wonder there's an underbonnet cover on there. I should also say your car looks in concours condition, definitely the cleanest I've seen.

Some paperwork came with my car in relation to the 'Sterling Touch' immobiliser that was fitted in the UK when the car was new in 2001, which is odd because I'd assumed the immobiliser was already fitted to the Mexican-spec bugs. My guess is that the Mex-immobiliser might have been replaced with a UK-recognised immobiliser as an insurance requirement.

Also as I suspected, from your pic and a feel around the back of the dashboard through my radio opening, a full, deep, original '60s glovebox would be out of the question but I'd at least like to re-use an original, functioning lid (with chrome lock-catch and chrome strip) and try to fabricate something very shallow behind it. The blanking plate that BeetlesUK fitted to fill the glovebox hole is just a plain sheet of metal with no curvature to the edges, so even a non-opening original lid would look better.

So that I don't clog-up the Mexi-Thread entirely I think I'll start a dedicated project thread (based on type1japan's thread you pointed me towards and a 2014 thread by demon1018) about the overall build for the car (the general backdating bits)...

New build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730346

...I'll still post here on the Mexican-thread for the Mexi-specific help I need.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

A Dog Called Bear wrote:
Thanks for the BeetlesUK flyer hopkin, that's great to see! Do you have any more B-UK material, or is any hosted somewhere on TheSamba?

I would suspect that the alarm system has to be operational for your MOT, the original system were prone to fail (mine did), maybe the importer installed the 'Sterling Touch' immobiliser. Seems odd though (from new). Maybe an insurance thing, but this is the first time I've heard of it. My car had the (operational) original immobilizer installed when it was registered in the UK. It worked until the battery died during shipping to Canada (they left the lights on in the container Shocked ). I just bypassed it when the car arrived.

Here's the backside of the flyer, I have 2 originals of it plus a price list from Beetles UK (2002).

I have a photo of a Beetles UK speedo:

I don't have much more info than that. I do know that the importers did some relatively minor mods to the cars to meet the UK or European requirements, depending on the market it was sold in. My car was originally sold new in Germany and had a few mods done for that market. Later it was imported to the UK and further mods (most notably the side markers) were done for the MOT.

There isn't any specific place on Samba (or anywhere else that I know of) that would list the mods done by each importer. They are mostly minor, and electrical, although on my car 3-point seat belts were required in the back (for Germany), and they were added by the German importer. They were removed when the car was imported to the UK as the height of the shoulder strap did not meet the MOT requirement. The garage that did that mod installed seatbelts from a Chevy. I later restored them to the original VW seatbelts.

Side note, when I imported my car to Canada in 2012, I did not have to do any mods. Since then, the rules here have changed, if I imported it now I would have to add daytime running lights (headlights on at all times) and reflectors on side. Fortunately for us, we do 1 inspection only, when you first register the car. After that there are no annual inspections or emissions checks.

There is also flyer from Apple 2000, another importer in the UK. I only have these scans of that flyer:

I have a speedometer from one of those cars:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
A Dog Called Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Brilliant flyers - many thanks - duly saved them all to my Mac.

Looks like my first owner stumped up a little extra for the black paint, the BeetlesUK-branded overmats, cigarette lighter, front & rear heated screen, and the immobiliser (which seems to be on the options list despite the car being built with one in Mexico).

I really hope he also bought the underbody protection.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Both importers have immobilizer as an option, seems odd to be an offered as an option when the original cars came with the immobilizer. I wonder why, it can't be an MOT reason, as it is offered as an option, so that implies that it wasn't required (ie keep the original).

Probably something we will never know.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Back in the day, there were for sale brand new Sedans at the dealership with "transponder" (immobilizer) and with out transponder, the price difference was less $1000 mex pesos.
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:

The unsheathed portion (green circle) measured approximately 8 cm. The sheathed portion (between the red arrows), measured about 55-60 cm.

There is an additional 6 cm under the license plate housing, between the top red arrow and light, (not pictured).

sorry just another question: since I could not work or see the car this weekend (sick kids), do you happen to remember/have a pic of how the harness attaches on the light's side? I can't remember whether it's crimped directly or has spade terminals.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:

sorry just another question: since I could not work or see the car this weekend (sick kids), do you happen to remember/have a pic of how the harness attaches on the light's side? I can't remember whether it's crimped directly or has spade terminals.

Do you mean for the rear lights, there are connectors:

Left side:

Right Side:

The in-line fuses are not stock, but were added by the importer. (I remember something about it somewhere back on this thread).
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

No sorry... I meant the number plate light, how is it connecded to its harness inside the housing above the plate itself. I've already crimped on the plug side terminals of my new harness and wanted to prepare in advance the tooling to make the other end in the garage.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

There is no connector under the license plate cover:

This is the connector at the other end of the cable (red arrow):

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I picked up a couple binders full of brochures, adverts, etc for (mostly) Mexican Beetles, some US, German and Brazilian stuff. The collection spans decades of stuff from the '50s through end of production.

I haven't counted it all yet, looks like about 100 different items in the collection.

Way too much to post here, but we don't see to much about the Brazilian Beetles, so here's a brochure (dated 10/95):

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
There is no connector under the license plate cover:

well, there is, it's just inside the light housing. Laughing Guess I'll have to see myself.

btw nice score on the fusca itamar brochure!
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 108 of 192

Jump to: