Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

early 1500 engine question
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ojai63dbl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: early 1500 engine question Reply with quote

I am lost on my engine I am going to rebuild for a March 1963

I know a 1963 the early Type 3 case was a 0-case

1) what was the cylinder engine case bore size , 87mm cylinder hole in engine like a 40hp Type 1 or was it a 90mm like a later 1500?
(later cases are cut to 90 mm, but I have one cut to 87mm - could be restamped)

2) Are the rods the same as a 40hp Type 1, or are type 3 different (lenght, offset, size)?

3) are type2 63 cylinders (1500) same or is there a different pin size, stroke, or length?

4) to get 1500 did they use a 69mm crank with 83mm pistons and
are these pistons the same as the big bore 83's on a 1200 type 1?

5) for Heads I know there is a Type 3 head with iarger cylinders, but is this essentially a 1200 head from a type 1 with larger pistons?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: early 1500 engine question Reply with quote

Where's a 1500 club member when you need one? Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: early 1500 engine question Reply with quote

As far as I know the 63 engine was a straight forward 1500 with none of the super early engine complexities that you mentioned.

Check this thread for detailed info on a March 63 car
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=594623
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ojai63dbl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: early 1500 engine question Reply with quote

thanks

more and more thinking it is a restamped case
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: early 1500 engine question Reply with quote

go ahead and show us the stamp, we may be able to help with that
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: early 1500 engine question Reply with quote

Then there's the 1500S (or did that come out the next year?)
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: early 1500 engine question Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Then there's the 1500S (or did that come out the next year?)

yep, 64 and 65 only
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: early 1500 engine question Reply with quote

1500 S will have domed pistons. One of the only VW aircooled engines with domed pistons from the Factory I believe.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey

Last edited by Mike Fisher on Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gregson1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: early 1500 engine question Reply with quote

1) Cylinder engine case bore size is about 90mm, just like a later 1600 case. That means you can upgrade from the stock 83mm P/Cs to 85.5mm, 87mm or 88mm slip-ins to gain some displacement, if you like. Do some research concerning the 87mm and 88mm slip-in kits regarding any quality or longevity concerns, but the 1600 used the 85.5mm and they've been proven reliable. For all of these, the connecting rod wrist pin size is 22mm.
2) The 1500 rods are longer than the 1200 rods, the big end width is ever so slightly narrower than the 1200 rods, and the wrist pin size is 22mm on the 1500 rods, rather than the 20mm as on the 1200 rods. Finally, most (all?) 1200 rods are NOT 'self centering', so you have to torque them up in stages when installing, using a soft mallet to tap the big end of the rods to properly center the end cap during the process. 1500 rods are self-centering. Most importantly, the 1500 rods are generally stronger by design. You can use good 1600 rods as 1500 rod replacements, as they are similar in most dimensions.
3) I don't know--I've never dealt with a stock early '60s Bus.
4) VW started out by using a non-cross-drilled 69mm crank, then moved on to a cross drilled 69mm crank somewhere in late '63. This new crank caused a couple of problems. While the cross-drilled crank does provide more oiling, it also flexes just a little bit more, too. I think this is why VW went to steel-backed #2 main bearings in all engines to give the center engine case webbing a bit more resiliency. The second problem seems related to the improved oiling, where the piston oil scraper rings weren't up to the task and the result was increased oil burning. VW eventually got it right and improved the oil scraper rings, however, the increase in engine compression--particularly in the 1500S dome top piston engines running at 8.5 to 1--caused higher back pressures to develop inside the case to cause increased oil burning. Since these early 1500 engines were based on the 40HP cases, this was a new problem and there were at least 2 factory service bulletins issued to deal with the increased back pressure and increased oil burning. Case material between the main crank area and the cam gear area needed to be removed to increase breathing. Case material needed to be removed to increase the relatively small hole at the base of the breather pedestal into more of a 'D' shape which became standard on the later engines. Along with this, the 1500S breather box internal washer and volute collar was increased in diameter and a draft tube was added to the breather box. A couple of other engine case details from this time period was the oil sump pickup tube, which was free-standing, rather than having a 'tab' that secured it to one of the sump plate studs. This can affect oil pressure over time, should it vibrate loose. The other issue was a lack of cam bearings. Both issues can be resolved--but you still end up with the smaller oil galley drillings in common with period 40HP cases.
5) 1200 heads are quite different from the 1500 heads. Early 1500 heads did have a 'flat' area where the carb intake manifold mounts to the head, but this peculiarity was gone by '63 and replaced by the more common slightly angled area for this junction. Just get some great '67 and later single port Type 1 heads done and you will likely end up with a far more reliable set of heads that have larger valves and the much improved square boss valve train rocker mount points. You can run dual port heads, too--and then go dual carb. Lots of options for heads and carbs, even for the Type 3.

Hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: early 1500 engine question Reply with quote

Nice write up Greg.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: early 1500 engine question Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
1500 S will have domed pistons. One of the only VW aircooled engines with domed pistons from the Facory I believe.

Wrong. As Ray would say, the VW 411 got the 1700 type 4 engine with dome pistons too. My son has one in his t-3 Roadster, although his came out of a VW-Porsche 914.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: early 1500 engine question Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:
1500 S will have domed pistons. One of the only VW aircooled engines with domed pistons from the Facory I believe.

Wrong. As Ray would say, the VW 411 got the 1700 type 4 engine with dome pistons too. My son has one in his t-3 Roadster, although his came out of a VW-Porsche 914.

Mike said - One of the only VW aircooled engines with domed pistons from the Factory I believe.

Im no scholar but I read it different. Infuring there may be more. Wink So you and Ray can go piss up a rope. Laughing Cool And Mike, you speilt Facory wrong.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: early 1500 engine question Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

Mike said - One of the only VW aircooled engines with domed pistons from the Factory I believe.

Im no scholar but I read it different. Infuring there may be more. Wink So you and Ray can go piss up a rope. Laughing Cool And Mike, you speilt Facory wrong.

Last I checked, the 411 and 412 were built by VW. The 411 did come with dome pistons from the factory in the 1700 engine. It could also have carbs or FI.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: early 1500 engine question Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

Last I checked, the 411 and 412 were built by VW. The 411 did come with dome pistons from the factory in the 1700 engine. It could also have carbs or FI.

CORRECT! Making the 1500 S One of the only ones made like that as well. Wink Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: