Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seamed shroud end date ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamed shroud end date ? Reply with quote

sled wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

My 1950 25 horse, definitely had one too and my 11/1952, did not. Perhaps was different manufacturers - So, yes and no - depending and then only one manufacturer, with no seam (ever again) at the number stated by Garwood - is a possibility.

i like what the Dali Lama says - if one will never know, for sure, the answer to something - why think about it? That might apply, here.

none of what you're postulating is true. 46, 49, and 50...as well as up to spring of 1952 all had seamed shrouds. There were some differences yes, but the seam was always present.

the number stated by Garwood is not a possibility, and I'm not sure why you keep referencing that publication like it is the Bible.

Im sure Im coming off like a dick, and I apologize, but theres no reason to keep questioning information that is known to be true.

- the number stated by Garwood IS a possibility, until someone can offer a more precise chassis number cutoff - And remember, we only become a dick or become irritated when we view anything only one way - is best to accept all possibilities -
- because no exact information is available, I think there are numerous possibilities - even Mr. Garwood's info - I wish, he was here to speak, for himself -
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Seamed shroud end date ? Reply with quote

Guys, this might help.
this is engine # 1-0449368 which puts it in early June acc to Bob Wilson.
Unfortunately I have since sold this engine a logn time ago. but it obviously had a smooth fan housing. I have no reason to believe that this engine wasn't all original. see the oil filler, louvered generator band aso.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamed shroud end date ? Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
Guys, this might help.
Unfortunately I have since sold this engine a logn time ago. but it obviously had a smooth fan housing. I have no reason to believe that this engine wasn't all original. see the oil filler, louvered generator band aso.

That is a later shroud. The tabs for the wire harness should be up above the upper generator plate bolt. You can see this detail on the other pictures in this thread.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamed shroud end date ? Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
Guys, this might help.

… appreciate the input - I think, we are looking for an exact cutoff date or the chassis number that the seamed shroud ceased and the smooth type began.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamed shroud end date ? Reply with quote

Gentlemen, I believe this is could be what we are looking for, February 7th 1952

Remember these manuals were originally published in German and then translated. Upper Air Duct is the fan shroud, and the lateral support could be referring to the spot weld seam.

I also offer this very original late-February 1952 motor as evidence. Note in particular the extremely early non-seamed shroud with the high wiring mount that adds to the provenance and helps verify originality.

I believe this and other cars that have been offered supports FACTUALLY that the seamed shroud was phased out in the spring of 1952, most likely sometime in February. It would be great if some other known highly original cars from late 51/early 52 could be cited as supporting information.

Please share if you have any information to add to the discussion of the facts, but I very kindly ask if could we please leave Mr. Garwood out of it unless supporting documentation is added.

Last edited by Mr. OGPaint on Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Seamed shroud end date ? Reply with quote

here is a large version of that page from PR.

I am not exactly sure what an upper air duct is, but in March you can see the 'hot air ducts' no longer had the cover plate fitted between. What I am understanding this as, is the "x" plate between the rear edge of the "sled tins" as we call them these days. With the stale air, they're part of the whole heater-box system.

That being said, what then could the upper air duct be? To me, that sounds like the fan shroud, because what else is both an air duct, and upper? Im not sure I would consider the seam to be lateral support, but it very well could be? Im wondering if there is some other detail that differentiates a seamed shroud from an early smooth shroud? Is there some kind of internal support? Is it the provision for securing the top of the oil cooler as seen on early engines? Does anyone know when this ended?

my point is, this is the only mention of an upper air duct change, and it is RIGHT where we have speculated it to be, in the spring of 1952. Coincidence?

virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamed shroud end date ? Reply with quote

Here the same in German.

New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamed shroud end date ? Reply with quote

virtanen wrote:
Here the same in German.

"side support plate omitted" my rough translation Laughing
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamed shroud end date ? Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:

Gentlemen, I believe this is could be what we are looking for, February 7th 1952

Remember these manuals were originally published in German and then translated. Upper Air Duct is the fan shroud, and the lateral support could be referring to the spot weld seam.

I also offer this very original late-February 1952 motor as evidence. Note in particular the extremely early non-seamed shroud with the high wiring mount that adds to the provenance and helps verify originality.

I believe this and other cars that have been offered supports FACTUALLY that the seamed shroud was phased out in the spring of 1952, most likely sometime in February. It would be great if some other known highly original cars from late 51/early 52 could be cited as supporting information.

Please share if you have any information to add to the discussion of the facts, but I very kindly ask if could we please leave Mr. Garwood out of it unless supporting documentation is added.

I like the way you think and your non-combative approach - your logic is very believable - I will make an entry in my Garwood book, to reflect this information --- many thanks.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Seamed shroud end date ? Reply with quote

Not sure what the 7 Feb change refers to but changes usually never took place on a specific date; new parts were introduced and old parts remained mixed in production until stocks ran out. Therefore the seamless shroud came into production sometime in late February/early March while I am sure there are also later cars with seamed shrouds.

This is what happened with door handles around the same time, specifically late March/early April 1952. My 1 April 1952 Split has original G handles. Handles with Y-lock cylinders and KdF logos were replaced with handles with G-lock cylinders and VW logos. Y handles remained in production for another month or so mixed with Y´s until stocks ran out.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Seamed shroud end date ? Reply with quote

sled wrote:
virtanen wrote:
Here the same in German.

This is clearly not, what you are looking for. It has nothing to do with the shroud.
Mika, where to find the German Version of Progressive Refinements?
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Seamed shroud end date ? Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
sled wrote:
virtanen wrote:
Here the same in German.

This is clearly not, what you are looking for. It has nothing to do with the shroud.
Mika, where to find the German Version of Progressive Refinements?

can you translate for us then?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Seamed shroud end date ? Reply with quote

Quote:
English:

virtanen wrote:
Here the same in German.

For anyone who wants it typed out
Luftführungsgehäuse-Oberteil
Neu: Seitliches Stützblech entfällt

Google translate, which is weird sometimes, says:
Air duct housing shell
New: Lateral support plate is no longer required

I think a translation from a German person would be useful too
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Seamed shroud end date ? Reply with quote

Everett, your direct translation is not far away from what is written there in german. "Oberteil" togehther with "Luftführungsgehäuse" would be "upper air duct housing", so for me it sounds as they mean the upper cylinder head cover, what they made from two piece to one piece in August 1951. Still confusing, as I have no idea which "latereal support plate" they could mean. What changes do the cylinder head cover have had during the 24,5 hp period?

Anyway: in Progressive Refinements, what you call "shroud" is named "fan housing".
kalymnos Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamed shroud end date ? Reply with quote

My guess: when it says "lateral support no longer fitted" it refers to this tin:

Picture is from Mika Virtanen
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamed shroud end date ? Reply with quote

is it possible its #34 in this photo? the air vanes on top of the cylinders

52 split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamed shroud end date ? Reply with quote

lateral when you look up the word is , side part of something. this to me would be as Sled wrote the X plate no longer used.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Seamed shroud end date ? Reply with quote

The part Kalymnos pointet out goes together with the change from two piece to one piece in August 1951.
The hint from sled: the x-plate does not belong to a "upper" air duct, the shoeboxes belong to the lower air duct. Perhaps they mixed "Oberteil" and "Unterteil" in the original version and of course also in the translated version? Then it would mean the lateral support, that holds the x-plate, what sled was refering to.

Anyway, I'm convinced they didn't mean the fan housing.
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Seamed shroud end date ? Reply with quote

from a technical point as a trained machinery engineer, it would appear to me there is no logic into even mentioning the change between the seamed and seamless fan shroud, because it is simply a production method change and has no effect on fan efficiency or mounting to related engine parts. The two versions would interchange with no effect whatsoever (except visually). that's as if you bolted on a Hella OR a Bosch replacement headlight. they are different in looks but both fit. Maybe I am wrong.

Luftführungsgehäuse is not the same as Lüftergehäuse.
( air duct vs fan shroud)

would be great to see the German designations for Parts # 1, 33, 35 and 39. if any of them is titled Luftführungsgehäuse, it should become pretty obvious whats meant

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Seamed shroud end date ? Reply with quote

I believe X-plate dropped on 4th of March 1952 as far as I understand:

New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: