Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sat morning fart around
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Sat morning fart around Reply with quote

Went over to a friends house watched him build a stroker motor, what better way for middle aged white boys to spend a sat morning? In one photo they stare at the crank using a Jedi mind control trick to clearance the case for the stroker crank. We did it all by hand the old fashioned way, lots of mock up. Not my shop I'm better at housekeeping.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Sat morning fart around Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
... Not my shop I'm better at housekeeping.

Well at least that orange engine tin is where it belongs! Sick

Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Sat morning fart around Reply with quote

That's what I need to do; get away from the addictive computer and do some actual engine work in my cluttered basement... Confused

94 bore x _ stroke?
LARRYHARDEMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Sat morning fart around Reply with quote

Housekeeping looks fine to me.
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Sat morning fart around Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing a little as when I was in business my place was organized while now being retired a couple of decades things are just where I placed them as a reminder they still exist. Put things away as they should be I have a hell of a time remembering where they were placed and go NUTZ until it is found.

For many here, your day is coming.....trust me I KNOW.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sat morning fart around Reply with quote

Hey, that place is a LOT more organized than anything around my shop. Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sat morning fart around Reply with quote

I am more comfortable having things a little more organized the boxes on top shelf are all packed with spares and since they are same size take up less space. The small drawer organizer has most of the hardware, it's labeled and cleaned. When I build engines it's all within reach and ready to go. Last photo of tool box houses all the most commonly used sockets again within easy reach

The zenith radio is a 1938 model and it works
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sat morning fart around Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sat morning fart around Reply with quote

The shop looks pretty clean compared to my garage. I actually lost a cylinder jug and can't find it. I know it's in there somewhere, I'll find it when I really need it. Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sat morning fart around Reply with quote

Today we gathered again as we do each 1st Saturday to discuss all things VW and get some work done. Brave souls it’s 25 degrees with the threat of snow, we don’t give a damn. Five guys here and over 200 years combined VW experience. Today’s task take apart a 1966 type 3 engine. The engine was rebuilt in 1993 as a 1600 and it’s seen about 30k miles since then. We found 65 thousands deck height and semi hemi cut heads so no wonder it was down on power, it won’t go back together like that. Here’s the story.

Someone went wild with silicone in here

Bearing shows typical wear and imbedded grit because it ran stock strainer no filter.

Thrust bearing was good and tight, great Very Happy

Center main showing signs of hammering and wear. If you see the numbers transferred from bearing into case it’s not good sign.

Next we are looking at collapsed center main, warp or also referred to as fretting as the case have wear on each other.

You can see a tiny gap here but well look again once things are cleaned up and case is bolted together.might do the typing paper check where you see if that thin paper will take up that space.

Using the quick and dirty gage to see how many times it’s been cut oversize, it’s been cut once and nobody stamped a number on it.

The whole mess ends up in wash tank and will be further checked for wear. Still need to break down the crankshaft. This is a 66 type3 case which may be numbers matching to the car. It’s going to be given close scrutiny.

This is how a bunch of old VW guys spent a Saturday morning, it could be worse
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sat morning fart around Reply with quote

miller0358 wrote:
The shop looks pretty clean compared to my garage. I actually lost a cylinder jug and can't find it. I know it's in there somewhere, I'll find it when I really need it. Jeff

This is true. There are two types of people:

1. People who see order in chaos
2. People who see order in order

It's hard to change them. I can remember once where a friend took a completely disassembled engine (not from a VW) to an old time experienced mechanic. He had spent hours bagging and tagging every nut and bolt, part and spring and gadget neatly in boxes sub-divided into cylinder head, block and accessories.

The old timer took one look at those boxes and said "I can't work with this!" and proceeded to tip the contents of the boxes onto a big table and went to work assembling the engine. At the end of it all, there was a sweetly purring motor that lasted for a long time.

Obiously some people think that being neat and tidy is the only way to work. Have a look at an F1 pit garage. Sorry, but that's not me either. I am not slovenly or dirty, but I see the order in chaos.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sat morning fart around Reply with quote

Sounds ok for some but because of my training in aviation I work by the numbers clean and orderly. Shoot we even were trained in the way of Edwards Demming and continuous improvement. Shadow boards, just in time parts supply. 5 S thats five S. Also see “Kaizen” check it out Very Happy

I don’t waste time searching for items I know where they are. Works for me.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sat morning fart around Reply with quote

Good stuff old man. Thanks for sharing.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Sat morning fart around Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Sounds ok for some but because of my training in aviation I work by the numbers clean and orderly. Shoot we even were trained in the way of Edwards Demming and continuous improvement. Shadow boards, just in time parts supply. 5 S thats five S. Also see “Kaizen” check it out Very Happy

Don't forget your Lean. Or Six Sigma.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sat morning fart around Reply with quote

Yes I trained in all of those processes as well at work making products by procedures and using in spec parts and trained personnel.

The only problem was that I always said I wouldn’t bring my work home🤣🤣🤣
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Sat morning fart around Reply with quote

frenchroast wrote:

Don't forget your Lean. Or Six Sigma.

Laughing Hilarious, now I must vomit on the wife’s black belt Wink

Thanks for sharing Z.

Love the monthly shop night with the bros. I’m no mechanic but keep on learning.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Sat morning fart around Reply with quote

Actually this wasn’t Saturday, it’s Friday but it is VW guys working together and over 100 years of collective knowledge makes it interesting.

I learned a couple of tricks yesterday definitely not in the manual. We set endplay @.004, installed oil pump, pressure relief valves, sump plate, etc. engine is going into type 3 so the tins are all different. I left after lunch and didn’t get in on installing cylinder heads. Even though it’s stock and won’t see high rpm’s he spent 100 bucks to get everything balanced and look at that pressure plate it needed that glob of weld to balance out, crude but works.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: