Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Do consider the Maxi 2 filter pump from CB. Nice to keep out the crud that always passes thru the bearing with just the strainer.

Also drill a lower oil drain hole for #1 bearing.

I will look into both. Thanks.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Dug into the BN4 today.

Everything came apart easily. I will need an inner fan. Need to find or make a diaphragm for pump and metering valve.

Fan runs and points work.

May need a complete pump. It ran after I filed the points but wouldn't cycle after I inspected the diaphragm. I will do some research on that. Maybe I got it out of adjustment.

Now I will clean up the parts and get them all working properly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3966500&highlight=#3966500
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Thanks, i will do that.

The filter pumps don't seem to work with stock exhaust except for an old unattainable one.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Thanks, i will do that.

The filter pumps don't seem to work with stock exhaust except for an old unattainable one.

Folks have reported that using a short filter works. Plus could bent that pipe some to get it to clear a tad more if need be.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525918&highlight=maxi++filter

Lots more threads here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Started working on the rear bumper tonight. It's not the best. Bent, rusted and wrong ends.

Got it looking quite straight but seems to have a lot of curve. It has about 3/4" from center of mounts.

How much curve do they have? Tried to find a photo that would show but no luck yet.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

When I straightened my rear bumper on my bus, I had to shrink the areas that were damaged with a torch and hammers after working the dents out. I had too much metal. After doing that, the twist I had as well went away. I know even after getting the bumper super straight, it's not very rigid and can twist until it's bolted to the body. Once bolted to the splash pans, its very firm and straight.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

I found a measurement of 64.25" inside bumper tips.https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=600790

Mine measures 64.5" inside tips so maybe it has the correct curve. I have splash pans on the way so will wait and bolt everything up an see how it fits.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Managed to get some BN4 parts.

Intake pipe needs a new flange but pipe is good. Inner exhaust pipe is bent badly. Outside exhaust pipe is quite nice. Fuel filter is glass and I think it was supposed to be aluminum in 64. I like the glass though. Cover has an extra notch but that is easy to fix. Switch feels good. Inner duct is excellent. I still need the outside duct though. I thought that would be the easiest to find...

Took some time to get the inner exhaust smoothed out. Used a socket to stretch out the end and get it round. Still a little over bent. I will correct it when I cut out the crushed/ripped bit.

EliasP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

That is a really nice bus, I usually think that one-colored split busses can be a little bit more boring than two tones, but this bus makes me want a stock dove blue bus!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Check you PM brother! Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Built a valve spring compressor. This makes it an easy one man job.

Found some tube that just slid over the valve and notched out access. Welded a thin washer to push the cap down. This gives alot of access to work and little force to compress.

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Nice!

My home made valve spring compressor is a bit simpler but requires a drill press...

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
My home made valve spring compressor is a bit simpler but requires a drill press...

That's cool. Never thought about using a drill press.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Playing a bit more with a head. Guides were quite bad in this old head. Especially the exhaust valve on #3, or maybe it was #2.

Pushed one guide out. First I drilled down to the height of the aluminum with a 15/32 drill. That left paper thin brass holding the cap on. Little tap and it was off. Then drilled 11/32 from the bottom the whole way through. Tapped the bottom 10m x 1.25 and inserted a bolt. Inserted an old valve in the top and drove the guide down through with a small hammer. Seems like a good technique. I can see why pulling them up through would be bad.

I need to make a table for the drill press to hold the head at the proper angle. Using a hand drill is a bit sketchy. Likes to bind if you are not carful.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Knocked the rest of the guides out of the replacement head.

One exahaust valve was machined out to 14 mm. Also had the boss replaced. Was a bit surprised when it jumped up when the guide moved past it.

Other exhaust valve is sleeved.

Now to decide if I should oversize all the guides or just the exhaust ones.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Decided not to use the old head. Think I will get new heads. Maybe these
https://aapistons.com/collections/stock-performanc...and-guides

Today I built a dolly for the rear. Going to remove the engine and transmission soon and will need to move the bus after.

The wheels are 36" apart to be more stable but not interfere with the spring plates. It will hold the bus at stock height. Made out of old 1 1/2" steel angle and square tube. Casters are off an ambulance cot so very nice quality and they have locks. They have tapered pin so had to make a spacer to mount them.

Haven't drilled the horn bolt holes. I will wait untill I can verify the width and size.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Got some splash pans. One will need some work to get it straight but not bad. Now I can fit the bumper but need to wait for new diodes for the welder. Two of the diodes decided to dead short a few days ago. Had it 37 years and they are the week point I guess.

Picked up an old heater. Came with the stand I need and the cumbustion chamber fan fits my 12v fan. Slightly different but looks like it will work fine. Lots of other parts on the old heater also.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

My BN4 fuel filter glass is bad. Bit disappointed…

I knew some glass filters can get stuck in the housing and can have corrosion jamming the glass so I soaked it in cleaner for a few days and then vinegar. It fell apart after a bit and revealed a large chip.

I could still use it with some sealer as the chip is concealed up in the housing but would make cleaning and resealing a pain. Maybe I can find one. Actually not sure a 64 would have had glass or aluminum but I like the glass.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
My BN4 fuel filter glass is bad. Bit disappointed…

I knew some glass filters can get stuck in the housing and can have corrosion jamming the glass so I soaked it in cleaner for a few days and then vinegar. It fell apart after a bit and revealed a large chip.

I could still use it with some sealer as the chip is concealed up in the housing but would make cleaning and resealing a pain. Maybe I can find one. Actually not sure a 64 would have had glass or aluminum but I like the glass.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1879678

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 42 of 50

Jump to: