Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kids Buggy Build
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Kids Buggy Build Reply with quote

AirKooledGarage wrote:
just want it to be safe for a teenager!

Come on Dad! Think back to your own youth, a teenager could turn an evening of playing board games in a nunnery into a full blown 3 alarm event! That's just who they are and what they do. Teenagers run on adrenalin! Shocked

Good project and nice Buggy!
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Kids Buggy Build Reply with quote

He's the Corvair of kids, so anything could happen. Cage should wrap by April and then on to harness.

He wants to drive it in May.
1961 Patina Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Kids Buggy Build Reply with quote

Quarantine is probably going to be responsible for a ton of cars finally getting completed. Kids buggy definitely on that list.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Little undercoating action for the exposed raw glass. Should tidy things up.

Kid lost in thought. He started this when he was 14, hits 18 this summer and should be driving it by then.

Pan is wrapped. Engine largely done. Next up is mounting body and cage and then we wire it. Front wheels are test fit only and from the race car in the earlier pic.

Here's our next challenge. PO must have left the car out in the weather. One side and the hood are pretty badly oxidized. Is this fixable? Any ever got one of these to return to their original luster?
1961 Patina Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gtrplyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Kids Buggy Build Reply with quote

Don't know if this will help but...…..
This was mine when I got it, lightly sanded and a little lacquer just to see if it would help. Then about thirty hours of wet sanding, literally. Clear coat, still need to buff it but this is the original gel coat. This buggy came from Florida and was in rough shape.
Good luck to you, I've been working on mine for over four years and still haven't driven it.
gtrplyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Kids Buggy Build Reply with quote

Don't know if this will help but...…..
This was mine when I got it, lightly sanded and a little lacquer just to see if it would help. Then about thirty hours of wet sanding, literally. Clear coat, still need to buff it but this is the original gel coat. This buggy came from Florida and was in rough shape.
Good luck to you, I've been working on mine for over four years and still haven't driven it.
mcdoc2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Kids Buggy Build Reply with quote

That looks great! I’m surprised by how well the color returned
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Kids Buggy Build Reply with quote

Making some more progress.

Cage is painted and in. Landing plates bolt through fiberglass and into strengthening bars under pan.

Seat belt plates ready for harnesses. Next up is dash mockup. Drawn in freeby CAD app and will have laser cut out of steel. Kid wanted all square rocker switches and a mini tach.

Massive distraction last night. A semi hacked race car followed us home a few months back. Nicely sorted 2165 with two step ignition and a blow trans. Finally had a chance to pull the trans and discovered why it grenaded.

This was all the oil that drained out of it! Built swingaxle trans ain't cheap. This one may be painful.

Back to the buggy build and next up is harness and sorting a new found rear axle tube leak. Stay tuned.
1961 Patina Bug
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Kids Buggy Build Reply with quote

This weeks work is wrapping electrical. Using the EMPI supplied schematic, I added and deleted to match our car. Still a little more to go, but I’m liking the direction and it should give us a solid plan to wrap wiring.

1961 Patina Bug

Last edited by AirKooledGarage on Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Kids Buggy Build Reply with quote

Mocked up the dash and harness. Ended up using very little of the EMPI harness. In hindsight, we should have picked up a simple fuse box (with traditional fuses & relays).

Kid wanted these crazy rocker switches and a push button start which made it a bot more complex. Drawing a schematic made the assembly much easier, though. Maybe just how my brain works, but having it on paper was the secret sauce for success. Hooked up a few bulbs I had lying around and tested all the functions. Seems like we're good and will get it into the car today.

1961 Patina Bug
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Kids Buggy Build Reply with quote

Getting caught up here. Car is on the road!

Scratchbuilt harness did not burn down and all the lights and relays are functional.

Kid putted it around the neighborhood, grenaded the clutch fork, pulled the motor in the middle of the night and welded it up and loaded the car for its first show.

Also got to spend some qualit time with the State boys. They did not think our shit was funny, but ended up being very informative navigating through Wiscco reg process.

More pics to come as we get a chance to do a legit shoot.
1961 Patina Bug
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: