Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing worn engine with a industrial engine - Change what?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing worn engine with a industrial engine - Change what? Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not sure where that rumor of cams being different started. I have a 36hp 1956 VW Industrial engine powering my Ziegler fire department water pump assembly. I have the 1956 or '57 VW Industrial engine parts manual, and the VW parts number for the cam in the Industrial engine parts manual is the same as the part number for a cam in the normal VW Vehicle parts manual. Perhaps at some point there was a difference in cams available, but I don't have all the various era Industrial parts manuals to compare and discover differences.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trackomondo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing worn engine with a industrial engine - Change what? Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure where that rumor of cams being different started. I have a 36hp 1956 VW Industrial engine powering my Ziegler fire department water pump assembly. I have the 1956 or '57 VW Industrial engine parts manual, and the VW parts number for the cam in the Industrial engine parts manual is the same as the part number for a cam in the normal VW Vehicle parts manual. Perhaps at some point there was a difference in cams available, but I don't have all the various era Industrial parts manuals to compare and discover differences.

Bill

That is good to know, thanks!
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing worn engine with a industrial engine - Change what? Reply with quote

This engine looks gorgeous! It did rest for some years though. Very much stock looking except of those red ignition wires. Seems to be a 67 with preheat from heatexchanger on the right. There is the hole on the frontmost tin for the preheat hose. If the engine number matches your bus from OG delivery, I would rather go for restoring that engine.
As I understand, you are willing to get your bus on the road with this new engine. Good. You have all the hardware you need. But every part needs to be looked after.
The critical parts on the heat exchangers are the ends of the tubes entering the exhaust. You might have to replace them.

Cheers!
Olli
Trackomondo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing worn engine with a industrial engine - Change what? Reply with quote

Tizian wrote:
This engine looks gorgeous! It did rest for some years though. Very much stock looking except of those red ignition wires. Seems to be a 67 with preheat from heatexchanger on the right. There is the hole on the frontmost tin for the preheat hose. If the engine number matches your bus from OG delivery, I would rather go for restoring that engine.
As I understand, you are willing to get your bus on the road with this new engine. Good. You have all the hardware you need. But every part needs to be looked after.
The critical parts on the heat exchangers are the ends of the tubes entering the exhaust. You might have to replace them.

Cheers!
Olli

Yes the bus is a -67 so that is correct. I dont know for sure that the engine is numbers matching but I would be suprised if it wasn´t. My orignal plan was to re-use the heat exhangers, front engine tin, the generator stand and the top pipe for the carb aircleaner. And just store the OG-engine, since I don´t really have the time or knowlede to do a complete rebuild right now.

Tizian wrote:
If you’re installing a carb together with the governor you have to choose the correct intake manifold. Also you might want to go for the bigger 105mm generator. Then you’ll need the correct generator stand aswell.

If I change the carb would the intake and generator stand from the original 1500 engine fit?
Btw. I have a second 1600 SP engine in a barn that engine has also been sitting for many years but perhaps parts from this engine would match this industrial engine better. I will try and get photos and see what carb, fan shroud and altenator I might be able to source from that engine.
I will post pictures of that engine aswell... Smile

After reading your post I´m thinking about changing the fan shroud to a doghouse version like in your setup, are there alot of work involved and will it be worth it in the end? Wink
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing worn engine with a industrial engine - Change what? Reply with quote

Here is what you need for the doghouse style cooling:

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/?func=detailcall&artnr=30291b

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/engine/air-channels-for-doghouse-119-431-113-11227a.html

Plus the front tin. This tin has a cutout for the hot air exhaust box.

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/engine/bell-housing-cover-original-119-517-113-27175a.html

You can get used tins/shrouds for much less money Wink

In addition you’ll need the bigger fan, the flange/mount for the offset cooler and the cooler itself. Always buy a new one! Don’t forget the sealings and grommets. Then there is a small bracket which goes around the cooler and attaches to the shroud. I must check for the number...

When mounting the flange you will probably have to drill the existing holes from the original cooler from 6 to 8mm in the case. But that’s quite easy. You can use a normal hand drill for that, so don’t worry.

The rest is plug and play. You can use everything from your 1500. But the intake manifold requires the governor or a spacer to get the clearance to the generator and to reach the correct height for the air duct.

Keep the rear tin, as this is unique to the 67. It’s got no holes for the preheat hose. This one goes through the front tin to the right heater box. You will have to drill a 38mm hole into that tin for the hose. There is a special grommet for the hose too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: