Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 523, 524, 525 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-bobby

Iowa (and IL, WI, MN, etc.) has some of the best sunrises and sunsets on the planet. Thanks for the trip back home.

So true, especially in the winter!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

While I do find the temps to be a vertical slope on both sides, I like it that way.. At this time of year, there are a few days where the slant of the sunlight is SO Orange it makes me hungry Wink

-bobby
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Took advantage of a warm dry day to do some more on my no-start issue. I'd already done the compression check when changing plugs, so replaced the coil, distributor cap and rotor and have new wires to go on. Cleaned up the ground running from below the A/C compressor to the side wall near the coil.

Got it running, but now seems to be back to the original problem of rough running within a few minutes of startup from cold. What I've done:

New rotor and distributor cap.
New plug wires.
New NGK BP6ET plugs.
Compression check, all within spec.
Cleaned grounds on strap left side of engine to left of engine compartment, trans to frame, and inside battery box.

I'll need to start it from cold a few times to see if this is as consistent as I think it is, but at least now I can move it into the garage for troubleshooting in relative comfort when the cold weather returns. For now it starts readily and revs smoothly until the inevitable stumble begins.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:

I'll need to start it from cold a few times to see if this is as consistent as I think it is, but at least now I can move it into the garage for troubleshooting in relative comfort when the cold weather returns. For now it starts readily and revs smoothly until the inevitable stumble begins.

Anything change with the wire harness? I've had water intrusion into the O2 sensor coupling at odd times, that sounds exactly like your issue... So, it is possible that your harness to the O2 sensor got messed up, or perhaps the sensor itself has had it. Much more likely a wire issue..

Any chance you have a spare O2 sensor? I've got one that is fine, but replaced with new when installing new exhaust.. Let me know if you need a known good one to try !!! BUT, beware the sensor and bung it goes into are often corroded. Mine ripped the bung out of the exhaust trying to remove it!

-bobby
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

That sensor is next on my list to check, thanks. I even bought a socket for it at HF.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Not directly TO the van, but this weekend I put together a little something FOR the van:

Completely self-contained tire inflator retrofit into ammo can, for future off-road VAN-ventures!

Inflator recently came up recommended on this thread...soon after that I found a deal & went for it:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9239016&highlight=#9239016

Mods, FWIW: Anderson connector on upgraded (12 AWG) marine-grade tinned copper silicone-sheathed
cable incorporating 30A Type 1 (automatic) circuit breaker at the connector, powered from established
jumper cable pigtail under pass seat, battery clamp extension as needed with any other vehicle, upgraded
(larger, sturdier) air hose & connectors, also added 85-105 pressure switch (on at 85psi/off at 105psi) to
eliminate unproductive run time while moving from one tire to the next... It should work, and it does!

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Highly affordable, highly effective, highly portable & highly useful... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

That amo can pump looks great, Dave!!!

Dancing

-bobby
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Tx, BB... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Spent most of my time prepping the garage for "Westy space" so I can bring the van in before the rain and cold weather, and will then continue my troubleshooting in the conditioned space. I did one cold startup and it ran beautifully for about ten minutes but once the temp needle moved off the peg the stumble began. I also dosed the sensor and bung with PB Blaster in expectation of using the new removal tool.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

if you are referring to the O2 sensor removal and you are planning to replace it.
you can often cut the wire(s) off the end and use the full on grip of a proper socket in lieu of the O2 socket. use that for installation of the new one..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Let it warm up to the point you experience the stumble. With the engine running and stumbling, use the key-ignition switch to quickly turn off the key and them immediately turn it back on without letting the engine quit. Does the stumble go away for 30-40 seconds? 02, default getting reset at the ECU, waiting to read the signal and adjust the mix.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Let it warm up to the point you experience the stumble. With the engine running and stumbling, use the key-ignition switch to quickly turn off the key and them immediately turn it back on without letting the engine quit. Does the stumble go away for 30-40 seconds? 02, default getting reset at the ECU, waiting to read the signal and adjust the mix.

Yep, it did that. Then I disconnected the sensor wires and had no stumbling in about a half-hour of running while idling and driving. Thing ran great!

Obviously, this needs to be fixed so I tried removing the sensor with a resounding lack of success. My new socket simply turned on the damn thing. So much for that. A foot-long box end 7/8" wrench would not budge it. A 16" long pipe wrench would not budge it. Looks like I'm going to have to remove the catalytic converter in order to remove the sensor or maybe replace both pieces.

However, they've been together longer than I've owned the van. I replaced the exhaust system about 12 years ago, reusing the converter with that same sensor in it, and you can see from this pic how well it's aged. This little job might have me doing the whole system again, but at least this time I have the garage instead of having to do the job in a cursed gravel driveway during a miserable Virginia August as I did last time. Oh, joy.

I'll be back when I can report this job done. Thanks for the help on this, guys.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Ahh, the joy! Indeed why I ordered a new one when I ordered the new exhaust I got. THEN, I messed the new one up, and had to make a choice! I took the old Cat to the bench vice and did the pipe-over-wrench trick, and promptly tore the bung out of the Cat along with the sensor. Well, then I needed to use the Dremel and clean all of that up, and put it in the new Cat, which worked enough to tell me what I wanted to know. Then I repaired the new sensor, and installed it where it needed to be.

Hope you can find a good used exhaust. I'd offer mine, but its not much good right now. Anyway, if you can afford a new exhaust, I have had a very good experience you might ask me about some time Wink

-bobby
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got my last one from Van Again and was happy with it. Might decide to get Jet Hot Coating put on the next one.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
My new socket simply turned on the damn thing. So much for that. A foot-long box end 7/8" wrench would not budge it. A 16" long pipe wrench would not budge it. Looks like I'm going to have to remove the catalytic converter in order to remove the sensor or maybe replace both pieces.

Link

Some idiot that is definitely not me Rolling Eyes put a wrench on a stuck o2 sensor, wrapped rope back and forth around that wrench, and then tied the rope off to another car.

It worked. YMMV.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Inspiring, but I'd be interested in finding out exactly what broke loose. If I tried that it'd be valuable chassis parts on both vehicles or something even more costly and troublesome.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
campism wrote:
My new socket simply turned on the damn thing. So much for that. A foot-long box end 7/8" wrench would not budge it. A 16" long pipe wrench would not budge it. Looks like I'm going to have to remove the catalytic converter in order to remove the sensor or maybe replace both pieces.

Link

Some idiot that is definitely not me Rolling Eyes put a wrench on a stuck o2 sensor, wrapped rope back and forth around that wrench, and then tied the rope off to another car.

It worked. YMMV.

Yeah - I'd be more impressed if he could fix his hand brake...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
If I tried that it'd be valuable chassis parts on both vehicles or something even more costly and troublesome.

Sonofabitch. It worked.

Decided I had nothing to lose, beyond yanking the entire exhaust off the camper, that is, so backed up the trusty Grand Caravan and drug out a length of chain, hooked it over the hitch ball, and gave it a go.

First attempt resulted in a *tink* sound that turned out to be my Craftsman 3/8" breaker bar giving up the ghost, but the second try using a 1/2" drive ratchet/adapter/6-point socket resisted at first and then let go with a satisfying BANG. Different ratchet with cheater pipe and liberal doses of PB got it out. This is great. I really did not want to have to remove the converter just to get the sensor out, so I'm very glad I tried this. Time, money, and considerable strong language saved.

Hooray, and props to 4Gears4Tires for the idea, and remember what Hillary says: "It takes a Mopar minivan to fix a Vanagon."
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Good thing you got it out on the bus. If you remove the cat it is a b!tch to find something that can hold it stable enough while you try to remove the sensor. BTDT.

Not sure if you tried but heat is your friend in this case.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
campism wrote:
If I tried that it'd be valuable chassis parts on both vehicles or something even more costly and troublesome.

Sonofabitch. It worked.

Hooray, and props to 4Gears4Tires for the idea, and remember what Hillary says: "It takes a Mopar minivan to fix a Vanagon."

This made me laugh really hard. Thanks, and congrats on your success.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 523, 524, 525 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 524 of 629

Jump to: