Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new 1959 Dove Blue Single Cab.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kafer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1959 Dove Blue Single Cab. Reply with quote

Get that inline fuel filter out of the engine compartment.
"The hardest part about business, is minding your own"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1959 Dove Blue Single Cab. Reply with quote

Trivial minutia aside, based on the retarded prices POS buses are going for these days, what ever you paid, you literally got turn-key value for... fantastic find. Keep this one, because you'll never find another like it.

Data plate picture please. Passenger side behind backrest.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1959 Dove Blue Single Cab. Reply with quote

A fantastic truck! If I acquired that I would immediately tear up my contacts and stop treasure hunting- my garage would be complete. Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Lawrence6324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1959 Dove Blue Single Cab. Reply with quote

Awesome !!!
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1959 Dove Blue Single Cab. Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
Trivial minutia aside, based on the retarded prices POS buses are going for these days, what ever you paid, you literally got turn-key value for... fantastic find. Keep this one, because you'll never find another like it.

You’re right this ones is going to stay. It’s not perfect but better than what people sell today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grimmnar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1959 Dove Blue Single Cab. Reply with quote

Wow ! That is one nice find you got there ! Congratulations ! 👍

A 2nd Generation VW Lover Smile
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1959 Dove Blue Single Cab. Reply with quote

TheVintageVw wrote:
kombisutra wrote:

You’re right this ones is going to stay. It’s not perfect but better than what people sell today.

It is a very nice truck. A little time and labor and it will be even nicer.

Hell, mine was painted with house paint and looks like it was done with a brush.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1959 Dove Blue Single Cab. Reply with quote

Cleaned up the bed with some Griots Speed Shine. Not bad for a few minutes of work. Also did some cleaning of surface rust on the wheels. To me the wheels look painted. Can someone confirm? Looks too "white"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1959 Dove Blue Single Cab. Reply with quote

Yes, they do look the wrong white in that picture, like they have been repainted.

The hubcaps is a wacky aftermarket one too
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timmeubanks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1959 Dove Blue Single Cab. Reply with quote

Nice truck!! Enjoy!

Current: 1962 Anthracite Ragtop Bug and 1960 Dove Blue Double Cab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1959 Dove Blue Single Cab. Reply with quote

The header on the bus is missing a good piece chunk so I need to replace.

I’ve done about an hour of reading on which to replace it with and I’m still dont have a clue as to which one to buy.

I need a header and muffler.

Engine is a 1835 with dual carbs. I don’t want anything extremely loud. I want to use my heat so must work with heater box and also pressed bumpers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1959 Dove Blue Single Cab. Reply with quote

I really like my Vintage Speed exhaust. Not too loud and works with heater boxes.
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1959 Dove Blue Single Cab. Reply with quote

My understand it that it does not work with pressed bumpers?
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1959 Dove Blue Single Cab. Reply with quote

Great SC and I have never heard of Griots Speed Shine, nice reviews from my search, going to get some for my daily driver.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/speed+shine.do?sortby=ourPicks

TheVintageVw don't sweat the small stuff she is a beautiful single cab and clearly in great hands.

TheVintageVw wrote:
Cleaned up the bed with some Griots Speed Shine. Not bad for a few minutes of work. Also did some cleaning of surface rust on the wheels. To me the wheels look painted. Can someone confirm? Looks too "white"

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Huetti_1989
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1959 Dove Blue Single Cab. Reply with quote

Wow, that one looks fine!

Can you post Some detailed picture of the tresure chest hinges when they are open please?

-Christian
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757182
My 1954 Deutsche Bundespost Barndoor:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=621802
My 1961 SO34 Flipseat Westfalia:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716285
My 1991 Westfalia California:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650751
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1959 Dove Blue Single Cab. Reply with quote

Been super busy with a new baby so haven’t had any time to work on the bus. Did replace the carb jets as they were for some reason like 7 sizes too large. I did also confirm that they are not EMPI and are real Kadrons. Looks like a Kaddie Shack set.

Photo is a few weeks old...

TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1959 Dove Blue Single Cab. Reply with quote

Looked for a way to keep this thing safe while running errands and came up with this. might be a bit silly but hopefully its a decent theft deterrent for trips to Home Depot.

Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1959 Dove Blue Single Cab. Reply with quote

TheVintageVw wrote:
My understand it that it does not work with pressed bumpers?

I have a VS header/muffler on my SC with pressed bumpers and it fits fine.

Like sled, I really like my VS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: My new 1959 Dove Blue Single Cab. Reply with quote

Congratulations on a beautiful and functional Split bus find!

I personally can't wait for you to yank that aluminum sheeting (stuff it into your recycle bin) out of the engine compartment and see what is under there. We wanna see more Dove Blue! Immediately replace every single fuel line with fresh new lines from the tank all the way to the carbs (cheap job and won't take you long), and as mentioned before remove that old, used in-line fuel filter out of the engine compartment and relocate it. I tuck mine in-line and above the left side axle near the ceiling above the transaxle. Keep it away from all the sparky shit in the engine compartment.

It's great to see you using this one around town, keep polishing that Dove Blue and posting pictures of your new adventures! Enjoy it!

Bill Bowman

p.s. If I owned that SC, I'd start hunting down an era-correct engine/transaxle for rebuilding and storing away for future use on that beauty.
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My new 1959 Dove Blue Single Cab. Reply with quote

I want to change out these lines and fittings as they are causing a complete mess. Also don't like the fact that it uses worm clamps on the oil lines.

Does this look like an Empi kit or was it just pieced together?

Should I leave the fittings and replace lines/clamps or do away it all of it?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: