Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Questions and Advice Before Installing Engine and Trans
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Questions and Advice Before Installing Engine and Trans Reply with quote

I am very close to getting my engine and trans installed, but have a few questions. The engine turns out to be a 73, not sure about trans, it appears that the trans only has three available bolt holes to bolt to the engine due to the starter, while the bolt at the starter appears to go there should I consider running one long bolt from the starter to the engine?
Should I install it as one piece or do them separately?
Any accessories or pieces I should have on or leave off, such as the heat tubes?
Is the front transmission mount pictured suppose to be metal to metal?
The retainer/clip I have pictured, where are they actually used, I have two.
Based on the photos do you see any mistakes I'm about to make?
Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charlie

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Questions and Advice Before Installing Engine and Trans Reply with quote

I’d double check that the tin isn’t sandwiched between the intake manifold and heads. Wrestling the tins once the engine’s installed sucks.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Questions and Advice Before Installing Engine and Trans Reply with quote

The "D" bolt needs to be removed and then will go through the starter, the bell housing, and the engine flange in the opposite direction.

Your transmission appears to be an 091 "6 rib". Assuming it has the later bellhousing you will need the later starter to match. If this is going into a 72-75 van you mayhave to shorten the shift rod to get the shifter positioned correctly.

It is way easier to close off the large rectangular hole in your tin before you install the engine than to do it with the engine installed.

Knowing the year of your van would be helpful.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions and Advice Before Installing Engine and Trans Reply with quote

You are missing some seals around your alternator (dipstick and alternator seal), you may want to take care of those before the engine goes in.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions and Advice Before Installing Engine and Trans Reply with quote

Charlie57 wrote:

You need to get the screws and fender washer that attach the tin to the heads to the front and back of where the intake manifold bolt into place.

The hole where the tube from the heat exchanger comes up through the tin needs to be sealed off if you don't have the tube. The hole in the heat exchanger needs to be closed off as well.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions and Advice Before Installing Engine and Trans Reply with quote

If you do install the engine after the transaxle the three pieces of tin at the
rear will have to be off to do it. Maybe the oil filler pipe as well, it will go in
with it installed but tends to scrape the rear metal of the bus body.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions and Advice Before Installing Engine and Trans Reply with quote

Why not mate the engine and trans together and install as one. At least dry fit them together. That would let you make sure the starter fits, the clutch on its splines, the pilot bushing, etc.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions and Advice Before Installing Engine and Trans Reply with quote

Why is your pilot bearing sitting on the bench still?
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions and Advice Before Installing Engine and Trans Reply with quote

Charlie57 wrote:
I

Naw dawg.

You've got that starter bolt backwards. Take it out from where you have it now.

Get the engine in, using the two lower studs & trans input shaft to align it with the transmission.

Once you get it mated up fully, then you put in the top two bolts. The D shape on the starter bolt fits against the starter so you can put the nut on from inside the engine compartment without the bolt turning.
Charlie57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Questions and Advice Before Installing Engine and Trans Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Why is your pilot bearing sitting on the bench still?

Good catch, the engine builder installed one, plus I ordered the wrong clutch kit. Anybody want to buy a 78 clutch?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Charlie57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Questions and Advice Before Installing Engine and Trans Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Your transmission appears to be an 091 "6 rib". Assuming it has the later bellhousing you will need the later starter to match. If this is going into a 72-75 van you mayhave to shorten the shift rod to get the shifter positioned correctly.

It is way easier to close off the large rectangular hole in your tin before you install the engine than to do it with the engine installed.

The bus is a 78, the engine is a 73, the trans is stamped 091 but not sure of the year. I took it out of the bus with this set up so I believe I'll be alright. Just learned my started bearing are bad, going to start looking, it is marked 921 Bosch 0-00-211-221
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Questions and Advice Before Installing Engine and Trans Reply with quote

did you put a new starter bushing in when it was apart?
better now then later

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
Charlie57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Questions and Advice Before Installing Engine and Trans Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
Why not mate the engine and trans together and install as one. At least dry fit them together. That would let you make sure the starter fits, the clutch on its splines, the pilot bushing, etc.

That was my plan unless there was a good reason not to.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Questions and Advice Before Installing Engine and Trans Reply with quote

Charlie57 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

The bus is a 78, the engine is a 73, the trans is stamped 091 but not sure of the year. I took it out of the bus with this set up so I believe I'll be alright. Just learned my started bearing are bad, going to start looking, it is marked 921 Bosch 0-00-211-221

Not sure what you mean by bearing. There is a bushing that is installed into the bellhousing that supports one end of the starter shaft and another bushing on the other end of the shaft that is pressed into the starter endplate. The bushing in the flywheel is easily replaceable with the engine and tranny split.

If someone tried to bench test your starter, it would sound like a bearing/bushing is bad because the one end of the shaft is not supported without the starter being installed on the car or into the proper jig.
Charlie57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Questions and Advice Before Installing Engine and Trans Reply with quote

[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by bearing. There is a bushing that is installed into the bellhousing that supports one end of the starter shaft and another bushing on the other end of the shaft that is pressed into the starter endplate. The bushing in the flywheel is easily replaceable with the engine and tranny split.

If someone tried to bench test your starter, it would sound like a bearing/bushing is bad because the one end of the shaft is not supported without the starter being installed on the car or into the proper jig.[/quote]

I meant to say bushing, just got it mixed up. I know they tested the starter on a brand new machine but I doubt it had support on the end of the shaft.
Charlie
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions and Advice Before Installing Engine and Trans Reply with quote

I would install them together as a unit.

The front transmission mount isn't metal to metal, it's just that the rubber part was also spray painted silver.

The "retainer/clip" things you're asking about-Do you mean the funny looking things hanging off the bolts at the top of the transmission?

Assuming so, those aren't used when the transmission is installed. I suppose they are there to keep the bolts from getting lost.

Do those bolts have tapered ends, or are they flat? If I remember correctly, the original bolts have tapered ends to help get them started, because they are kind of in a fiddly place.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Questions and Advice Before Installing Engine and Trans Reply with quote

I second the recommendation to install the engine and transmission as a pair. I find this much easier to do since the rear aprons on 72-79 Bay’s are not removable.
I’m currently tackling a similar project: finished building a 2L paired with a 5-Rib transaxle going into a 1973 Transporter. I will be installing as a pair. It’s as simple as attaching the motor cross bar (mustache bar) to the chassis, the upper transmission carrier bolts, and the front (front is front) transmission bracket (two 17m bolts w/ bracket) holding the nosecone. Everything else (cv joints, electrical, shift rod, couplers, fuel lines, cables, etc...is fairly straight forward.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: