Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Commercial hubcaps
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
SHSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orignuthinman wrote:
SHSC wrote:
orignuthinman wrote:
SHSC wrote:
orignuthinman wrote:
I spoke with Hubcap Joe. He seems an honest person and forthright about how he came across them. I bid on them, but never thought it would get as high as it did. It seemed completely on the level.
I spoke to him on the 2nd day of the auction and attempted an offer to end the auction. He said if I had called him the first day, he would have sold them to me for $150. He got too many inquires, and sussed out that they would sell for much more. Too bad I didn't see the auction the first day.

Spoke with him this morning and he stated emphatically that he never expected them to go so high.

When you offer to buy an item outright from ebay, what makes you think that the seller doesn't see that as an attempt to get something for potentially cheaper than if it ran the course of the auction. I never have understood that.

It is called haggling or bargaining. If a good offer is made or they have a price in mind, it can work. What is there to understand? They get what they want and you pay what you can afford! Instead of getting caught up in th bidding frenzy that is created on Ebay, and pay too much.

When you do that, you are tipping your hat and telling them that you can't afford to ride out the auction.

BS! Tipped nothing and told them nothing. Made an offer and if they accept then it is a done deal. Your comment suggests you don't like it, but that is not my problem. I have had success with it in the past, and would have this time, had I found it a day earlier. For you info, I bid $750 and still lost.
I would rather have paid the $250 I offered and have been done with it.
Ebay creates exhorbitant prices similar to Barrett Jackson Auctions.......insane prices for people with too much money......I am not one of those, so I look for any angle to get what I need!

You seem to have another problem with it, but withheld your issue with it.
So cough it up!

I am just speaking as a seller, I have had people offer to buy my item outright and end the auction. I tell them to place that offer as a bid on my item, you may get lucky and not have to pay that much.

I can't believe you would pay 750.00.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

62type3square wrote:
If you have a 60 commercial in dove blue will the caps be grey or dove?? And if the answer is "it can be either", how can you tell which is correct for an individual bus. Will the birth cert have this info?
yes, dove grey. the birth certificate will not have that info, and the VW factory cannot be relied upon for any accurate information on old VWs.
Mango Juice wrote:
Did 1961 year models have grey or beige caps??

depends on the color of the bus.

dove blue buses got dove grey caps, all others got light grey.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHSC wrote:
orignuthinman wrote:
SHSC wrote:
orignuthinman wrote:
SHSC wrote:
orignuthinman wrote:
I spoke with Hubcap Joe. He seems an honest person and forthright about how he came across them. I bid on them, but never thought it would get as high as it did. It seemed completely on the level.
I spoke to him on the 2nd day of the auction and attempted an offer to end the auction. He said if I had called him the first day, he would have sold them to me for $150. He got too many inquires, and sussed out that they would sell for much more. Too bad I didn't see the auction the first day.

Spoke with him this morning and he stated emphatically that he never expected them to go so high.

When you offer to buy an item outright from ebay, what makes you think that the seller doesn't see that as an attempt to get something for potentially cheaper than if it ran the course of the auction. I never have understood that.

It is called haggling or bargaining. If a good offer is made or they have a price in mind, it can work. What is there to understand? They get what they want and you pay what you can afford! Instead of getting caught up in th bidding frenzy that is created on Ebay, and pay too much.

When you do that, you are tipping your hat and telling them that you can't afford to ride out the auction.

BS! Tipped nothing and told them nothing. Made an offer and if they accept then it is a done deal. Your comment suggests you don't like it, but that is not my problem. I have had success with it in the past, and would have this time, had I found it a day earlier. For you info, I bid $750 and still lost.
I would rather have paid the $250 I offered and have been done with it.
Ebay creates exhorbitant prices similar to Barrett Jackson Auctions.......insane prices for people with too much money......I am not one of those, so I look for any angle to get what I need!

You seem to have another problem with it, but withheld your issue with it.
So cough it up!

I am just speaking as a seller, I have had people offer to buy my item outright and end the auction. I tell them to place that offer as a bid on my item, you may get lucky and not have to pay that much.

I can't believe you would pay 750.00.

That is your perogrative! I can't believe I was willing to pay that much also. I wanted them, and that was where the auction led. That is why I hate Ebay. As a seller, you should have a price in mind, and if someone offers you that or more, what is the problem. I have sold a few items on Ebay with reserves, and I have had offers. If the offer was what I was looking for, I took it and ended the auction. After all it is about getting your price. Your statement about "place that offer as a bid on my item, you may get lucky and not have too pay that much" is a cop-out that I have read to often in the Ebay Forums. That is my opinion! You have yours! I am done!
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"That is why I hate Ebay. As a seller, you should have a price in mind, and if someone offers you that or more, what is the problem"

eBay is an auction which means one day an item may sell for $300 and the next $10. I go to auctions all the time (3 to 4 days a week). Monday I saw a print get combined with 4 others and sell for $20. Last Friday I saw the same print sell for $65 alone.

I sell all kinds of things. I buy lots. In one storage I got some elephant statues. Well they were bookends and sold for what I paid on the whole unit. The Joy of eBay is you win some and lose some. If you want to sell things at a fixed price then Samba is for you.

I do not end auctions early as I feel it is not fair to the others that are interested. Again if I want to sell at a fixed price then I don't sell it on eBay.

I thought this thread was about hubcaps.....

By the way I bought the last 4 VW had in this country and three were black and one was a light gray (Too Light), so NOS may not be the right color.

Last edited by WM971252 on Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WM971252 wrote:
eBay is an auction which means one day an item may sell for $300 and the next $10. I go to auctions all the time (3 to 4 days a week). Monday I saw a print get combined with 4 others and sell for $20. Last Friday I saw the same print sell for $65 alone.

Now is a good time to watch eBay for more hubcaps, in case people saw the auction.

This happens frequently and the 2nd/3rd/4th listings almost always go for FAR less.

I'm happy with used:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=300076398705
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nic B-C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on am I reading this right,someone paid 750 and is now getting pissy that the seller should have had a price in mind and sold earlier.

Basic rules of sales and ecenomics Im afraid, the market price is what the market will bare.

if Im selling something and someone wants to pay alot more than i am asking I sure as hell would take it.

if they offered less I would either haggle or just say no.

Reserves are set as a minimum price you are willing to take, dont reach that dont sell, reach that and anything else you get is a bonus.

I have 3 sets of origional light, send me $700 and a set will come in any colour you want postage free. cant say fairer than that, mmmm no which performance engine shall i go for Smile
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic B-C wrote:
Hang on am I reading this right,someone paid 750 and is now getting pissy that the seller should have had a price in mind and sold earlier.

Basic rules of sales and ecenomics Im afraid, the market price is what the market will bare.

if Im selling something and someone wants to pay alot more than i am asking I sure as hell would take it.

if they offered less I would either haggle or just say no.

Reserves are set as a minimum price you are willing to take, dont reach that dont sell, reach that and anything else you get is a bonus.

I have 3 sets of origional light, send me $700 and a set will come in any colour you want postage free. cant say fairer than that, mmmm no which performance engine shall i go for Smile

You read wrong!
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
Nic B-C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry just got in from consuming vast quantities of wine, offerstill stands if someone wants to send me loads for my three sets:)
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: commercial hubcaps Reply with quote

didn't want to start a new thread but can someone tell me if the only difference between commercial and regular "chrome" hubcaps are color?

Physically are they identical? Asking because people are charging insane prices for commercial caps, so I was thinking of buying oem chrome and just coating them accordingly.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: commercial hubcaps Reply with quote

TheVintageVw wrote:
didn't want to start a new thread but can someone tell me if the only difference between commercial and regular "chrome" hubcaps are color?

Physically are they identical? Asking because people are charging insane prices for commercial caps, so I was thinking of buying oem chrome and just coating them accordingly.

Thanks!

same caps other than one being chromed and the other not

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zehbeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: commercial hubcaps Reply with quote

TheVintageVw wrote:

Thanks!

blank and uncoated hubcaps are available as original VW spares again. Haven't had one in my hands yet, but they are promoted as "same quality as original". Price in Germany is around 30 EUR each.
schnidlee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: commercial hubcaps Reply with quote

zehbeh wrote:

blank and uncoated hubcaps are available as original VW spares again. Haven't had one in my hands yet, but they are promoted as "same quality as original". Price in Germany is around 30 EUR each.

Where would one look for these? Did a quick google and came up empty. Thanks in advance
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: commercial hubcaps Reply with quote

I bought three from Cip-1 .They say they are genuine VW and appear to be of great quality and not any different from the original that I have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: commercial hubcaps Reply with quote

are these it?

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C21%2D2501%2D01
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: commercial hubcaps Reply with quote

Yeah thats it, they blurred out the VW logo for trade mark reasons .The logo stampings are just as crisp as the O/G caps and they fit right to!
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: commercial hubcaps Reply with quote

I guess patina and rust is worth an extra $400 on the preowned market. Rolling Eyes
zehbeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: commercial hubcaps Reply with quote

schnidlee wrote:
zehbeh wrote:

Where would one look for these? Did a quick google and came up empty. Thanks in advance

Sorry, they are not original VW parts, they are only officially licensed by VW. Here in Germany available in several ebay shops or from CSP: https://www.csp-shop.de/markenshops/radkappe-roh-601-151-111-25339b.html?cache=1578988986
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: commercial hubcaps Reply with quote

zehbeh wrote:
schnidlee wrote:
zehbeh wrote:

Sorry, they are not original VW parts, they are only officially licensed by VW. Here in Germany available in several ebay shops or from CSP: https://www.csp-shop.de/markenshops/radkappe-roh-601-151-111-25339b.html?cache=1578988986

But they are made from original VW tools:

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/radkappenrohling-kafer.html

and also chrome plated

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/radzierkappe-dd2938.html

I bought a set of blanks these days and they are of superb quality. I polished one myself and had it chrome plated. That’s a hell of a job! But they come out really nice.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: commercial hubcaps Reply with quote

Tizian wrote:

and also chrome plated

I bought a set of blanks these days and they are of superb quality. I polished one myself and had it chrome plated. That’s a hell of a job! But they come out really nice.

I bought the ones already chromed. Had to send the first set back because they had so many nibs and pits in the chrome. The second set were better.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: commercial hubcaps Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
Tizian wrote:

and also chrome plated

I bought the ones already chromed. Had to send the first set back because they had so many nibs and pits in the chrome. The second set were better.

OK - So that means polishing the remaining three by hand... Arrrghhh... Thanks Andy!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: