Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heat alternative?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

they were never standard. they were an option. this convo is about weak heat from the stock(minus an extra heater) in very cold conditions. Sure the guys with the bonus heat are warmer, but not all busses had it.
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

I’m pretty sure all Canadian Westys had gasoline heaters as standard. My 78 Westy has the underbody eber—- BA 6 as stock from the factory. The Germans knew it gets cold in much of Canada.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

maybe they were ordered that way, but it is an m-code option. I could be totally wrong, but I am pretty sure this was the case.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

We had VWs growing up until they went WC, only one had a gas heater, the 412, and this was in northern NH. My Boston-delivered ‘79 Bay doesn’t have one. My northern VT delivered ‘70 Westy doesn’t have one. Maybe 60 miles north got them by default but we didn’t.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

Most Canadian VWs from 1965 on had an Eberspacher installed as part of their standard kit. US-spec did not have them and were a rare and expensive option. In the States, most times we saw Eberspachers were on Canadian transplants, Tourist delivery or US servicemen transfers. Other than that if anyone else had a gas heater in the States, it was a Stewart Warner most likely.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

wihr wrote:
It will kill you if you do not crack the window or have a pop top.

For my Coleman heater, I just barely cracked a window a few times over the years.. still here and.. normal.

This heater is not used when the bus is running, my stock heater system is fine by me, coldest I drove was ~ 10 F out. little chilly inside, but feet were cold, that's it ( but got heated socks for Christmas Smile ).

I use my Coleman heater only during very cold camping weather, like last year

( and virtually no condensation!)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

I don't recall ever seeing a VW from about '68 and on without one or without evidence that it had one at one time. The exception to that was one '73 Beetle that had a swing axle (another rare thing in the late Beetles here) but there was a sticker on the door post that said "Made in Mexico" so someone brought it into the Canada after the fact.

Some of the early '60s Beetles (not all) had one that mounted over top the transaxle, was tied into the regular heat ducts and depended on the engine fan to move air through them. They had a bad reputation for causing fires.

Gas heater aside if you guys were to get your stock heating system back in good condition with all the ductwork leak free, adjust the control cables as it should be and insulation in place you would be amazed at how well it really works. No, it won't be as good as a modern water pumper but it will be adequate for sure.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

There are 30-50 deaths and about 10x more injuries from CO poisoning from propane heaters used in tents, campers, and RVs every year.

Don’t use your experience to date as a proxy for understanding the issue
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
There are 30-50 deaths and about 10x more injuries from CO poisoning from propane heaters used in tents, campers, and RVs every year.

Don’t use your experience to date as a proxy for understanding the issue

This.
Two this season in campers plus 3 in bob houses (and one truck through the ice but that’s a different story for another day). This isn’t counting the two from generators run in enclosed garage. CO is known as the silent killer for a reason.
Signed,
Rural Maine EMS
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

[quote=]

Besides the 'creative' Paul Bunyan - Pot Belly stove, the replacement seats are probably well within current safety standards.

[/quote]
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

You could get splinters fro those fold down armrests if they aren’t carefully sanded, or at least wrapped in cello tape.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

I can’t blame anyone for looking for alternatives rather than rebuilding the stock heating system. In the northeast the heat provided could not be described as comfortable. It may have been ok off the showroom floor, but I doubt it would take long for rust to jam up the flapper boxes, create gaps in all that tin sheet metal and fiddly widgets. My grandmother owned my bus from 79-90. The heater boxes were replaced twice, the last time in the late eighties. When I got in 1990, the heater boxers were already rusted through and the main heater tube was a bag of rust scabs. She had all the work done at the dealership. I’m sure they hated that bus.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

This heat discussion got me thinking. My parents had the local VW dealer install a gas fired heater in their 1970 bus. It was installed on the passenger side in the front of the car and it was turned by pulling and twisting a white knob.
It purred along and in combination with the stock system, it kept us warm in the cold Utah winters.

Our old green bus is long gone but my dad kept the owners manual. He also included the registration and instructions from the heat system. It was built by the Stewart- Warner corporation. I’ve included the documentation here:

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

In the late 90’s I installed an Eberspacher BN4 in my bus using the factory ducting. It works well and keeps me warm while driving in a light jacket down to about 30*. It took some time to clean it up, learn how it worked and maintain it. I don’t drive in the winter so it’s been enough. I am also restoring my stock system just out of curiosity and for the sake of originality.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

I have a booster fan up front in my bus. I think it was a kit you could buy back in the 80s or 90s. It works very well.

Aside from that, has anyone looked into fittING a better blower back in the engine compartment?

Here is mine. I took it apart and cleaned it and it works just fine, but the output is not great. I don't think it would be hard to replace it with something more modern with more airflow.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:
I have a booster fan up front in my bus. I think it was a kit you could buy back in the 80s or 90s. It works very well.

Aside from that, has anyone looked into fittING a better blower back in the engine compartment?

Here is mine. I took it apart and cleaned it and it works just fine, but the output is not great. I don't think it would be hard to replace it with something more modern with more airflow.

That big blower at the bottom of your picture swamps the tiny one at the top, doing 99% of the work. You would need a blower with several times the power usage to come close to helping with the amount of air moving forward at highway speeds. A booster blower installed in line towards the front of the van is the way to go. Just dumping one of your heater boxes directly under the rear seat will more than double the heat output to the cabin as well.

Do you have pictures of the added blower in your system? The name and part number for the added blower would be nice as well.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
This heat discussion got me thinking. My parents had the local VW dealer install a gas fired heater in their 1970 bus. It was installed on the passenger side in the front of the car and it was turned by pulling and twisting a white knob.
It purred along and in combination with the stock system, it kept us warm in the cold Utah winters.

Our old green bus is long gone but my dad kept the owners manual. He also included the registration and instructions from the heat system. It was built by the Stewart- Warner corporation. I’ve included the documentation here:

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

Despite this thread being relatively ancient, people have moved on. This thread is kinda a spin your wheels kinda thing.

Get with the times' people. Cool Laughing

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Despite this thread being relatively ancient, people have moved on. This thread is kinda a spin your wheels kinda thing.

Looks promising for sure.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Heat alternative? Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Looks promising for sure.

Not for me. I really have no desire to plumb some sort of device with multiple points of catastrophic failure onto my bus. The engine provides me with plenty of heat while driving. When the engine is turned off, my opinion is that it is much cheaper, better, and safer to just buy a bigger sleeping bag.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: