Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I just bought a Westy Single Cab! (1.6TD JX)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:

You could turn the max fuel screw down slightly if you are concerned about the full pedal smoke. You might have to turn your idle up a little afterwards.

Down = screw out?

?Waldo? wrote:

My favorite way to test the individual glow plugs is to cycle them a couple times on a cold engine and then use my multimeter with temperature probe to measure the temp of the head right next to the glow plugs. It is easy to tell which ones are good and which are not. When ever I have the injectors out I always turn the key to ON and look down into the injector holes to confirm that all four are glowing well.

What kind of temperature rise do you get on the head? Is your temperature probe an IR gun or a thermocoupler probe?

Turning the max fuel out lowers the max fuel. The screw is very sensitive. Even an 1/8th of a turn makes a noticeable difference.

The probe I have is a thermocouple. It only rises a few degrees but that is quite obvious vs. no rise at all from the rest of the head.

-13C is darn cold, but it should still start easily if everything is working correctly. It seems like you're on it.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

-13C is darn cold, but it should still start easily if everything is working correctly. It seems like you're on it.

That's starting to get cold.

My current thoughts are to check the plugs for fun and see if I can identify which is not working. I'm going to replace them all anyways, if one is down I should replace them all I'm thinking.

The relay. Should I replace the old one on spec? Or are new parts generally not the same quality as the old and I should run the old as long as I can?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

That looks like a fun truck. I've never seen one here in Texas.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

FWIW, glow plugs do not tend to get worse with age. They are typically like incandescent light bulbs and either work fine or burn out completely. Changing all four at the same time is a fine idea in order to have the longest life ahead of each and then keep the good ones as spares. I have a 10amp battery charger that is not a 'smart charger'. I use that for testing glowlugs that are not installed. Negative clamp goes on the large threads, positive goes on the small threaded connector. 10 amps is plenty to get them to blow brightly.

I haven't preemptively swapped blow plug relays. I haven't noticed a specific difference in old vs. new but in my experience it either works or it doesn't and the service life is indefinite.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
FWIW, glow plugs do not tend to get worse with age. They are typically like incandescent light bulbs and either work fine or burn out completely. Changing all four at the same time is a fine idea in order to have the longest life ahead of each and then keep the good ones as spares. I have a 10amp battery charger that is not a 'smart charger'. I use that for testing glowlugs that are not installed. Negative clamp goes on the large threads, positive goes on the small threaded connector. 10 amps is plenty to get them to blow brightly.

I haven't preemptively swapped blow plug relays. I haven't noticed a specific difference in old vs. new but in my experience it either works or it doesn't and the service life is indefinite.

In that case I guess I will swap the plugs and keep the relay as a spare.

I redid everything today. I first measure the tension for kicks and it was bang on. reversed the tensioner, put it in the correct orientation. The only thing that was off was the pump lift/timing. Not sure why. I readjusted it in any case.

heimlich wrote:

That looks like a fun truck. I've never seen one here in Texas

It's been fun alright. I believe the main reason you don't seem them in the US is because of the Chicken Tax.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this info! Much appreciated by this diesel newb.

I was very happy with Vince Waldon's "pimp your glow plugs" mod.

http://vincewaldon.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30&Itemid=28

Separates each glow plug to an individual fuse, lowers the amperage through the old lines and lessons the chance of burning the strip fuse out. Also puts a much smaller load on the VW (more expensive) glow plug relay. I found much of the old wiring was brittle and the glow plug lead was broken almost all the way through inside its sheath.

Thanks again for the postings.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Thanks for teh link. I've seen it before and have considered it. Maybe I will do it. I'll cost out the parts. Funny thing is that the glow plug relay is really not that expensive.

Plus side is I got a bunch of parts in the mail today and tonight is my last night working for over a week. I might be quite busy. The only thing that has me a little anxious is installing a peloquin all by myself.

Further plus side: Twice I had the oil pressure go off randomly. Once driving, one after start up. It went away after a good 10 seconds. I checked today, both oil pressure switches are black (1.4bar). My truck calls fro a blue (0.25bar) and a grey(0.9bar). Hopefully that was the cause.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

So in consideration for installing a peloquin by myself I have laid out the steps I am thinking of using for vetting by everyone here.

1) Remove transmission
2) Remove drive flange, measure depth of each side adjuster, mark them relative to the case.
3) Remove back cover exposing diff
4) Measure existing backlash
5) Remove side adjusters counting turns
6) Pull old diff (remove input shaft to give room?)
7) Install new diff with new bearings without the ring gear
8') Put in side adjusters as per Bentley initial setting
9) Adjust side ajusters to give correct turning torque/resistance. I'm thinking I have to 'local manufacture' a bridge between the two sides of case to prevent them from expanding outwards and skewing the results. Maybe a bar clamp?
10) Once proper setting achieved mark/measure side adjusters
11) Remove the diff and side adjusters
12) Install old ring gear on new diff
13) Reinstall diff and side adjusters to setting in step (9)
14) Measure backlash. Too little back lash and move adjusters in parallel in one direction, too much back lash and move adjusters in parallel in opposite direction. Use backlash figure measure in step (4). Use bridge used in step (9)
15) Reinstall back cover
16) Reinstall transmission
17) Yee ha?

Thoughts?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Here's the sequence for an automatic. Although the manual is a bit different, the concepts are the same and so the automatic version might be useful: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608288#8608288

I think you could install the bell housing as your 'bridge' although there might be more convenient options.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Here's the sequence for an automatic. Although the manual is a bit different, the concepts are the same and so the automatic version might be useful: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608288#8608288

I think you could install the bell housing as your 'bridge' although there might be more convenient options.

Ya, that link has been book marked already. There is also a good one on the bay forum where someone rebuilt a 091 transmission. Really goes into detail about preload. Pages 11 and 12.

The only issue that could come up with the bell housing as a bridge is that I can't measure backlash with it on. At least not on the ring gear. I am probably over thinking it though.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

So there was a delay in getting to work today due to house duties. Mother In Law coming in a few days and everything needs to be extra clean.

Anyways I pulled the transmission in about 1hr20. It went pretty well, biggest hang up is that I didn't realize I had to actually remove the starter, I thought I could just remove the two bolts. Here is a good video of a mechanic pulling a transmission in less than half the time. Shows all the steps. Very straight forward. I could see it being a pain if you didn't have a lift.

Nice and dry.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a shot with the bell housing. I noticed there is thin film of brown stuff over everything. Almost sludge. Having never taken apart a transmission I don't know if it's normal or not. Also, I would love to know if this transmission has been opened up before. Does anyone know if this gasket is original?

On the outside I noticed some wearing. I think this was caused by a hard plastic fuel line. No real wear on the fuel line. Vibration is an interesting thing.

Measuring backlash before taking it all apart.

I am a cheap bastard so I decided to improvise my own tool to get the adjusters off. It's part of a 2" pipe union. $10 at the hardware store. The adjusters were very difficult to get off. I have since cleaned up the other edges and they are a lot easier to get in and out now. Corrosion.

This is the pinion. I have a picture of the worst I saw. Picture makes it look worse than it is....I think. I am not too worried. If I do rebuild the transmission in the future maybe I will either get a better used one or spring for a NOS, they seem cheap enough.

Pinion looked good. Had some number electro pencilled into it.

Supper time now. New bearings are in the freezer.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

I reassembled the transmission this morning and then went about getting to the clutch. New crank seal should arrive in an hour or two.

In the mean time I did a bit of welding. First was the clutch slave bolts. Should make removing and replacing a lot easier. Hopefully this was a good idea.

Next was the clutch fork. I think I read somewhere that the factory welds are a bit lacking.

Who can spot the problem?

Hint: It's fixed now.

Pinion removal tool really helped. Unfortunately it was a little too big so I had to improvise a little. I eventually got it to work.

So this was a little different. Clutch plate has tons of life left. Pressure plate looks old and so does the throw out bearing. I found a date stamp on the bearing and it is from 93. Clutch has as much material as the replacement. Current clutch is Luk and the pressure plate is Sachs. I think someone replaced only the clutch and not the pressure plate or throw out bearing. Either way, it's all getting replace. The only thing staying is the flywheel because it cleaned up nicely.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
In the mean time I did a bit of welding. First was the clutch slave bolts. Should make removing and replacing a lot easier. Hopefully this was a good idea.

I usually tack just one of the slave bolts but I don't see why tacking both would be a problem.

Quote:
Who can spot the problem?

Beautiful. At least it's easy to fix. Smile

Quote:

Hopefully you checked the oil slinger for movement. The seal didn't appear to be leaking before, so probably it is fine, but always good to check.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

What's an oil slinger?

Edit: I just googled while under the car. The slinger has no movement.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Slinger is probably not the proper term but I'm not sure what is. What I am referring to is the fluted steel insert that is pressed into the bell housing in the hole of the input shaft and seal. When pressed in place properly the flutes combined with the rotation of the input shaft, spin the oil away from the input shaft seal. It is common for the insert to become loose in its bore and when that happens, instead of throwing the oil away from the seal, the insert is thrown against the seal and chews it up before long. It's a slippery slope from there as trans fluid often gets on the clutch components.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

I usually tack just one of the slave bolts but I don't see why tacking both would be a problem.

So, it actually was a problem. There is a support bracket that goes under there. I had to grind that off while under it. Not fun.

So the transmission went in fine. Didn't take long. Took twice as long to get the starter in. I had a lot of issues with it. I didn't realize that the clutch slave support bracket had to rotate out of the way to get the starter in.

The other mistake I did was tighten a complete set of CV bolts with a hex instead of a triple square. The last mistake was when I realized when I was cleaning everything up and I saw the pack of spline grease on the work bench. I forgot to grease the spins on the input shaft. I greased the pilot bearing and a bit of the clutch spines so I am hoping it will all work out.

Tomorrow morning I will go through the book and see if I missed any steps. I also manage to install the new EGT probe and wire as well as a back up camera wire. I also swapped out the old turbo mounting bolts for the ridiculously expensive VW ones.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

I'm really enjoying the details in this thread and the rig itself; I'd enjoy owning a single cab Vanagon.

I"d suggest that the paper gasket between clutch housing and tranny is OE. Whether or not it's the original part, who knows. Seeing a date stamp on the TOB is cool. Maybe the original part???

Following this thread.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:

So, it actually was a problem. There is a support bracket that goes under there. I had to grind that off while under it. Not fun.

Of course! Thanks for the reminder of why I tack only one of them. Smile
T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

It could be possible to weld a nut to the bracketstrip but never tried it, the front bolt is more "easy" to reach.

I usually reuse the hex bolts on cvs when okay.

Ölschleuderbuchse=oilslingerbushing Very Happy
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

I tack one nut under the bracket, and one under the support

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: