Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to Ghias and I'm very excited!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

I thought everyone knew that about the ‘66:lol: That’s right up there with
that meme of subtracting your age from 2020 and being surprised the answer is the year of your birth. Laughing
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
I thought everyone knew that about the ‘66:lol: That’s right up there with
that meme of subtracting your age from 2020 and being surprised the answer is the year of your birth. Laughing
Nicholas

Well I like the '66 not because they were only made for one year but because of the Dash Trim that VW thought would be a stylish addition to the interior...and then changed their mind. I like that trim because they got it right...then got it wrong. Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

I've known iowegian for well over a decade, starting in the 58-67 Beetle forum. This "one-year only" banter has gone on for a long time, hence my facetious reply to Chuck's comment. It's all in good fun, ain't it, weegie Razz !

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
I like that trim because they got it right...

Cheers to that!

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
I've known iowegian for well over a decade, starting in the 58-67 Beetle forum. This "one-year only" banter has gone on for a long time, hence my facetious reply to Chuck's comment. It's all in good fun, ain't it, weegie Razz !

Tru dat.
My weird sense of humour has caused me trouble on more than one occasion. Embarassed
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
My weird sense of humour has caused me trouble on more than one occasion. Embarassed

That's why I still appreciate you so much, y'old fart! My oddball, weird sense of humor is carved from the same piece of driftwood Cool

-Kent

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

A friend of mine showed me a few pix from a mutual friend's instagram account that included pix of my KG from last weekend's Cars and Coffee. (Small world!) I contacted him and asked if he'd send me the pics he took. It followed with a long back and forth car discussion. I haven't talked to him in a long time. Great to reconnect over a car. This auto enthusiasm is such a great common denominator Cool ! Here are his pics.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Those tires have a very nice vintage look to them, tread pattern and all.

... which makes me wonder if they have vintage handling characteristics as well, despite being presumably manufactured with more modern materials and construction techniques.

I suppose on a Karmann Ghia with stock drivetrain, you'd likely not be able to get yourself into too much trouble anyway, Huh? Smile
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Yes, they are very close to the original spare tire, including the tread pattern. To be honest, I've never thought about the ride or handling, perhaps, because it's not bad or distracting. Conversely, I've had tires on other cars that getting rid of was top priority because they handled like crap. These tires are perfectly adequate for the driving that I do, plus I love the authentic vintage look Cool . Only wish the whitewall was a tad thinner, like the spare.

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:

Yes, they are very close to the original spare tire, including the tread pattern. To be honest, I've never thought about the ride or handling, perhaps, because it's not bad or distracting. Conversely, I've had tires on other cars that getting rid of was top priority because they handled like crap. These tires are perfectly adequate for the driving that I do, plus I love the authentic vintage look Cool . Only wish the whitewall was a tad thinner, like the spare.

Was Vrederstein an OEM supplier to VW ?
They still make excellent tyres-----my wife has a set of Quatrac 5s on her Nissan
and they are wonderful on a snowy day like today. Very Happy
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

They still make excellent tyres-----my wife has a set of Quatrac 5s on her Nissan

Dunno. It's certainly period correct. The style is very close to the Continentals that were on the Muskatine car, except the whitewall is a little fatter. As you may recall, that car had only 34k miles on it and I bought from the widower of the original owner. He told me the spare and two front tires were original. They had replaced the rears with snow tires.

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
iowegian wrote:

Dunno. It's certainly period correct. The style is very close to the Continentals that were on the Muskatine car, except the whitewall is a little fatter. As you may recall, that car had only 34k miles on it and I bought from the widower of the original owner. He told me the spare and two front tires were original. They had replaced the rears with snow tires.

I remember that car. I was selling real estate when those people lived here and I showed the house. The gentleman waxed his furnace and water heater. I am not making this up.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

The gentleman waxed his furnace and water heater. I am not making this up.

You DON'T?? Rolling Eyes

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
iowegian wrote:

The gentleman waxed his furnace and water heater. I am not making this up.

You DON'T?? Rolling Eyes

He's too busy waxing the widows that sell him his various vintage automobiles.
cruiser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

Yes, good looking tire set up on your car. Can you tell us the manufacturer/model/size please? Bias tires or "bias look radias" perhaps? Thanks!
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

67FloridaDeluxe
You don't get many tire width options on a 67 Ghia. The 1" wider rear track limits you to 4.5" wheels and 155 tire width. Are yours 155 or 165's ?
Vrederstein makes a vintage looking radial in a blackwall. Tires Unlimited is a good supplier.
Coker supplies a VW specific whitewall tire only in a 165 tire width. May or may not rub.
I've looked long and hard for 155sr/15's with a whitewall. I'm still having no luck.
Beautiful Vert Cool
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

The tires are Coker Firestone's with 1" whitewall

https://www.cokertire.com/560-15-firestone-1-whitewall-tire.html

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
The tires are Coker Firestone's with 1" whitewall

https://www.cokertire.com/560-15-firestone-1-whitewall-tire.html

Perfect!
Getting ready to replace old tires.
I was stuck on the metric system Smile
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

cruiser wrote:
Yes, good looking tire set up on your car. Can you tell us the manufacturer/model/size please? Bias tires or "bias look radias" perhaps? Thanks!

All the specs are in the link above. They are bias ply and if you zoom in, you can see they use the vintage Firestone script. They ride well, too. Granted, probably not great for a modded car where north of stock performance is desired.

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Ghias and I'm very excited! Reply with quote

The original clock is now working again and I'm progressing to tidying up the rest of the dash and components. The radio that's in it is a Sapphire II AM/FM with ivory knobs from '64.

I have a working Sapphire II AM/FM for 1965 that's in pristine condition, but it has grey knobs and push buttons. So that will stay in my '65 bug. I have a Sapphire IV AM/FM specific to '66 that's really nice looking, but the innards need refurbishing for it to work. It's getting sent out soon and I'm hoping it's repairable.

Next on the list is refinishing the plastic dash pieces. Instrument Specialties in RI does vacuum metalizing and speaking with Tom today, he says they can do it for my KG. Has anyone used them before for this kind of work? I'd LOVE to find another set of dash trim to send off to them, but this trim is hard to find. Anyone know of any off-market trim that someone might want to sell me Wink ?

Still gotta take out the speedo and fuel gauge to clean up the bezels and polish the dash, but it's going to look really nice once it's all detailed. (Note the photo above is before I removed the clock and cleaned it all up and got it working.) I'd like to find an N.O.S. ash tray with nice chrome (been scouring ads) but no luck yet.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: