Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

That's the first I've heard of poly on a VW; I've previously only found them on Audi V6 engines. Good to know

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

I'm committed now, no turning back. When I was doubting myself this was the safe route I thought I might take.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

A german fellow shipped this van to Argentina and then drove it to Prudhoe Bay, AK where the road ends. He later abandoned the van in Fairbanks and we scavenged parts. I grabbed the 5 speed tranny, shifter and linkage.

akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

But I want to experience the 1.8T with the modern Passat tranny!
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

akmush wrote:

You will love it.

Aside from the performance, there is little to no gas mileage penalty. The last 1,330 miles, I had an overall average of 20.9 mpg. That includes a vacation in VT with lots of steep climbs, small towns, short jaunts, etc. If I throw out the low and high tanks gas mileage varied from 20.0 to 21.8 mpg. (I am running high-test)

Let me state that I would get similar gas mileage with me WBX'er - I seem to do better than most here. I tend to drive slower than most, but a few hundred of the last 1,300 was on the Mass Pike and running through Boston and back where one is best to keep up with the speed of Boston-based traffic. You dirty waters lovers will know what I mean.

86 Weekender, (was WBX-4 Spd) now Flint 1.8T reversed w/Passat 5 -speed
Nothing on the roof, sometimes a bike on the back.
1 to 2 people on board. Not too much stuff.

With the WBX, I was running Michelin Agilis Tires (14")-great on the dry road.
Now running 215/65-16 Kuhmo Crugen HT-27" OD.
A very open highway tread XL tire, excellent in the rain and one of the most highly rated All-Seasons for snow, probably due to lots of siping (bought for $80 Each!)
(I adjusted for the increased size in my gas mileage calc's).

I actually would get a little better with the WBX, but I would run at 62 mph; I think driving and/or accelerating a bit faster with the 1.8T and some increased wind resistance due to the height due to the taller tires and the new Fiamma awning might account for the difference.

Cuz you all like pics- here is one from the VT trip. This is day 4 or so, when my wife said "I don't even worry if iit is going to start anymore" Laughing

LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Thanks for the input and reviews of your own experience with a reversed 1.8 vanagonjr! Early on in my ownership I read on the gowesty site about the weakness and potential destruction of the internals with a stock tranny. I have nursed mine along for 10 + years but it is a constant low grade stressor. This has been one of the biggest appeals of the flint approach.

When I was first plotting my course for the project I figured out all the posters on the samba who had a Flint reversed 1.8 and of course you were on the list. I also bookmarked your thread highlighting the design of the raised lid for when I get to that stage.

I was born and raised in MA! One of my goals is to see as many of these conversions as possible in person as I am working on mine. I travel quite a bit with work. I do much better when I can see possible solutions.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

You are welcome to come drive mine. I can even pick you up @ the airport (Logan or Providence) and you can even stay in the van on our property. Just in exchange for some Alaska accommodations someday 😃
We can take a road trip to Flint’s place as well, I’m sure.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
You are welcome to come drive mine. I can even pick you up @ the airport (Logan or Providence) and you can even stay in the van on our property. Just in exchange for some Alaska accommodations someday 😃
We can take a road trip to Flint’s place as well, I’m sure.

Applause
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

akmush wrote:

You'll love it, but you'll need a different shift knob -- the 5-speed pattern is wrong on the one you've got. Laughing
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Since I don't think Andrew's How to thread covers the trans portion of this swap, what are your plans for the shifter, front mount and CVs?

y u rune klassik?
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Unfortunately mine is not running for almost 3 months now, or else you'd be welcome to drive mine. Sad

Cv and axles don't need to be altered, at least for the transmission type i have. ( 012 if I'm not mistaken)

I also am using a porsche cable shift that Andrew modified. Might be the least hours route.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

These are clearly different output flanges than found on a T3.

I seem to remember Andrew using an inner tierod end for the lower pivot point of the shifter, along with a long shaft he made up to connect with the trans.

y u rune klassik?
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

With those flanges it's weld mill drill tap and use the stock CV joint, like so:

Earlier flanges are for either 108MM joints like my '98 transaxle has -- ideal if you're also doing a 930 CV/Axle conversion -- or 100MM joints, which is stock Vanagon size.

levi, what's wrong with yours that it's not running?
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

vanagonjr, thanks for the offer! I will likely take you up on it at some point.

Zeitgeist 13 my plan is to either get an older version of the tranny that has the correct output flanges for the CV's or do the "weld, mill, drill, tap" approach that tristessa shows in his post. The shifter linkage issue intimidates me but I figure I will "cross that bridge" when the time comes. I did keep the shifter and all of the linkage from the Passat. In syncaru's build they fabricated a sweet custom box for the original shifter https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=80

My top priority is to use the tranny that matches best with my motor and the van in it's current setup. I have 15" rims on there now. Hopefully Andrew will chime in about the tranny question. (I don't even know what tranny type / gear ratio was stock with the 02 Passat! Do I have the 100 mm joints?)

tristessa, thanks for posting the pics. That helps me to see it. I have a friend who is a skilled welder and will likely call upon him. Now I need to find someone that can mill for me if I go that route.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:

levi, what's wrong with yours that it's not running?

I dunno.
Anything involving the use of a volt meter converts me to an instant idiot.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=729300&highlight=
gonna see life my way

rcautox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

I’m enjoying reading about your build!

Are you at Watershed?
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

I am curious which trans you're planning to use and if you're going to fab a shift linkage or go cable shift?
gonna see life my way

tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

levi wrote:
I dunno.
Anything involving the use of a volt meter converts me to an instant idiot

PM sent...
akmush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

rcautox, thanks! Small world, I am at Effie Kokrine.

Levi, still figuring out whether I will use the tranny that I pulled with the motor or an earlier Audi 80/90 which I think Andrew points out will bolt right up to the Vanagon CV's. Good luck troubleshooting your electrical gremlins!
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan 85 Weekender, 1.8T (AWM), 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

akmush wrote:
Levi, still figuring out whether I will use the tranny that I pulled with the motor or an earlier Audi 80/90 which I think Andrew points out will bolt right up to the Vanagon CV's.

Myself, I'd use the tranny that's with the motor simply because I already have it .. but I've got access to a friend with a lathe and a mill in his home shop who's frequently looking for an excuse to use them. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 21

Jump to: