Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I just bought a Westy Single Cab! (1.6TD JX)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

For some reason I decided to tack a stud and not a nut. I suppose I could have went the nut route. Thanks for the suggestions.

You can definitely see where VW change a little

My 60s Type 3:
Hans the VW Engineer: Hey, we should make this vehicle luxurious but still be able to take out the engine in 30 mins or less with simple tools and no skill.

My 80s T3:
Dieter the other VW engineer: Hey, wouldn't it be neat if that starter mounting bolt also doubled as a engine mounting bolt, and clutch support bracket bolt, and 50A fuse, and coolant pipe, and a flux capacitor?
Hans: But won't that mean removing the heater core to change the starter?
Dieter: I'm not worried, it's a VW electrical component, it will never fail.

Plant today is to double check the pump timing and work on some mud flaps.

Question. The new peloquin just seems to be acting as a locked/welded diff. Will that change once some weight/actual forces are applied to it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

T3messie wrote:
Can not hear anything abnormal except a missing muffler?
In my doka I went through 3 gearboxes with "losräderrasseln" until I changed the clutch, then there was silence. Rolling Eyes .

But Snow! Go for a spin. Very Happy

So funny thing. It's back on the road with a new clutch. No losräderrasseln.

I went for a 50km drive including highway driving. Nothing fell off even though as I write this I realize I forgot to torque the wheel nuts.

Transmission did it's thing. Easier to shift now, probably because I am running a better quality transmission oil. No abnormal noises.

I retimed the pump once again. I don't know if it's moving on it's own, it my dial indicator is garbage, or if my technique is no good. I was at 1.10mm.
-I retimed it back to 1.00.
-Then I did a full 720 of the crank and checked again. 0.96mm.
-Retimed it to 1.00mm.
- Full 720 and 1.02mm. Left it alone.
-Full 720 and back to 1.00mm. Left it alone and called it a day.

I installed my mud flaps. It consists of those plastic wheel well liners you can purchase and big rubber mud flaps off amazon. I screwed the well liners in using SS sheet metal screws and then I screws the flaps to the liners. In a couple spots it screwed through the liner to the metal. I'm not the keenest on screwing things into a body but there is no way around it if you want mud flaps. All the stuff on the market now involve screwing.

I was worried about the rear ones getting sucked into the wheel as they are flexible flaps and the clearance wasn't the most. I came up with a solution using 1/2 conduit. Works at highways speed. Looking at the picture I am now worried about hitting a bump. Still enough ground clearance to back up over a curb though.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Another problem manifested itself. The truck starts and drives fine. No hesitation or lack of power. At certain RPM/vibration the glow plug light would flicker. As well, my coolant light would start blinking after a few seconds of driving. Lastly, at the same RPM/vibration my EGT gauge would flicker as well as the headlights(LEDs) every so faintly. Took me a while to figure out what it was. Keep in mind I had the fuse panel out so I could run the new EGT wire. It seemed like an intermittent electrical problem. Took me a while to figure it out. Click here for the solution.

Now onto my latest problem. I noticed that my #1 injector is leaking....exhaust gases. How screwed am I? Is it just a matter of getting an injector socket and retorquing it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

I decided to retorque that injector. Interesting results. When I tried to remove the fuel line it actually turned the injector instead. That injector was not in there very tight.

Got the fuel line off, retorqued using a 27mm deep socket, and put everything back. I don't think it leaks anymore but I am not sure. Still a tiny bit of smoke but that may be from the spilt diesel cooking off. It was doing that with the engine off. Oh ya, I did this with the engine hot, problem?

For you Waldo, here is my set up for torqueing. It should not create a moment that could damage the head.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Upon further thinking maybe the injector was not loose and causing blow-by. Maybe it was a small fuel leak that was weeping down and the cooking/boiling causing smoke and tiny bubbles for form at the threads.

Injector came loose awfully easily though.
T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

1mm is kind of early. Spec is between 0,82 and 0,97. But I dont know if that matters.
Have you been able to test the peloquin in snow?
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

T3messie wrote:
1mm is kind of early. Spec is between 0,82 and 0,97. But I dont know if that matters.
Have you been able to test the peloquin in snow?

I've seen those numbers but it seems the internet says it runs best at around 1mm. Definitely got more power when I went up to 1mm from 0.9mm.

No snow test yet but 10-15cm tomorrow. Should hopefully be enough to play with.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Upon further investigation I have determined that it was the rubber fuel return line leaking at the #1 injector. The leak would weep down to the base of the injector and boil/cook producing bubbles and smoke. It was not injector blow by. I will not need to pull the injectors and replace the seals.

What I did was pull the line off, cut the bottom 1/4" off and put it back on. I'm thinking of replacing the lines, 3.5mm is what I want right?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

I really like the clear Tygon 1/8" ID 1/4" OD from McMaster-Carr for that application. Excellent tubing, holds up better than the stock black hose, and leaks after shutdown are immediately obvious. I use the 1/4" ID 1/2" OD tubing for the supply also.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Would something like this work. McMaster Carr takes a while here. Or should I just stick to rubber 1/4 fuel line as a stop measure?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

1/8" ID usually works fine. I don't know if the home depot micro fuel line is rated for diesel. Even if it isn't it would probably work for quite a while. If those leak, the fuel can drain back to the tank and cause a bit more cranking when starting.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

you can exchange the conduit for a short made length of SS cable with eyelets in the end.. would be flexible but not allow the flap to contact the tire and rub out.

old_man wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
you can exchange the conduit for a short made length of SS cable with eyelets in the end.. would be flexible but not allow the flap to contact the tire and rub out.

Interesting idea. I will have to give it some thought.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Not a lot of snow fell but it was the thicker powdery stuff. Got to test the Peloquin. It worked

This is facing up hill. Left two nice tracks.

I then spent the next while going around corners sideways at slow speeds in my neighbour hood like a juvenile twat.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

old_man wrote:

I then spent the next while going around corners sideways at slow speeds in my neighbour hood like a juvenile twat.

Peloquins turn us into knuckleheads... Very Happy Cool Wink

Jake de Villiers wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
Made two-wheel rooster tails playing with the new Peloquin at Frenchman's Coulee (and turned over to 294K Shocked Very Happy Cool ...onward to 300K!).

Ha! A Peloquin on loose surfaces turns me into a goon, too! Shocked Laughing

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Fun, try chains Very Happy

I already own gearboxes with syncro difflock and 40%LSD for my Winter 2WD but I know one day my inner child will add another one with the peloquin. Rolling Eyes
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

T3messie wrote:
Fun, try chains Very Happy

I can honestly say I have never driven on chains in my life. Unfortunately/fortunately the storm missed us, we only got a few centimetres. Where my sister in law lives is about to get hammered though. 100cm snow/100kph+ winds. Not sure chains would do much there. Tracks however......

Today glow plugs should arrive and I will try to install them. The plan is to then let the truck cold soak overnight, it's going to be cold here tonight, and try to start it in the morning with out the block heater. That will let me know if I can safely take it to work when it is cold.

Another subject. Anyone mess around with wiper parking area defrosters?. Shipping is painful for me on that one. However, driving in snow I noticed the parked wipers are collecting a lot of ice/slush/snow but the windshield defrosters are aimed much higher up. This causes the wipers to ice up and not be effective. Anyone experience this?
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Glow plugs! Decided to do them. Sounds simple but painful. Nice thing is it really only takes an 8mm and a 12mm.

First step as to remove snow around the hatch.

Problem with a sinka/doka hatch is that it's a lot higher than a regular van hatch yet smaller. Means more reaching and bending and it's harder to see.

I started with the easiest one first. It would help me get a feel for the required torque to take it off and put it on. Anyone know what the coolant sensor is used for in the for ground? Is it for the aux coolant pump? Reason I ask is because I broke that tab off.

This was the hardest one. #3. I wanted to take the fuel lines off but they are seized. I can turn the nuts but instead of spinning on the fuel line they twist it instead. Not good. So I had to do with them in place. Not fun.

Get this thing off as soon as you can. It is just in the way.

Here are the 4 old ones and 1 new one(left). There were 3 different brands and not the exact same shape.

This is the new set up. A variation of pimping ones plugs. I don't really care about taking the strain off the relay. I am not concerned with running individual wires for diagnostic purposes. I just wanted not to have to deal with that stupid brass bus bar nor attempt to get the little nuts back on. Screw that. I decided to go this way. I don't really like those plastic crimp on connectors but it's all I had. The little nuts are half a turn loose. Down side is that you can't fit a ratcheting spanner on the glow plug. Doesn't really matter because I couldn't fit one under the injection pump anyways. The wire assisted a little in getting it into place. Once in place I needed a screw driver to push down on the plug to apply pressure so that the threads would start biting a little.

This thing help too.

This is the little fuse box. I might remove that original big fuse and jump it. Still thinking about that. Nice thing about this set up is that is uses common fuses.

All done.

Remember, all you need is an 8mm and a 12mm.

I tested it with a mulltimeter and it shows voltage. Thermocouple probe also shows a bit of a temp increase on all of them. True test will be if it starts in the morning. It's going to 0F tonight and it didn't plug in the block heater.

TL;DR Glow plugs can be changed without removing the injection pump, fuel lines, or injectors. It is not a fun time though.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

It takes ~1 minute total to both remove and replace the metal injection lines and only adds ~20 seconds of cranking the first time you try to start it. To me that is a very good time investment vs. fighting with the lines in the way. If the lines are seized to the nuts, you can get a set of new lines here:

https://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/en/injection-line-kit-td

Create an account and log in and all the prices go down. It can take a couple weeks for parts to arrive, but I have placed quite a few orders and have always been pleased. Get an extra set even...

I'm not familiar with that coolant sensor and so I would also suspect the aux coolant pump.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
It takes ~1 minute total to both remove and replace the metal injection lines and only adds ~20 seconds of cranking the first time you try to start it. To me that is a very good time investment vs. fighting with the lines in the way. If the lines are seized to the nuts, you can get a set of new lines here:

https://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/en/injection-line-kit-td

Create an account and log in and all the prices go down. It can take a couple weeks for parts to arrive, but I have placed quite a few orders and have always been pleased. Get an extra set even...

I completely agree. Unfortunately I needed glow plugs sooner than later so I had to attempt it without removing the lines. The other option I thought of was to try to disconnect the lines at the injectors and remove the injection pump with the lines attached. It would have given me great access but.....

I have ordered from there before. Brickwerks wells the lines as well. Not sure if there is any difference in quality or correctness of bends. Another option would be to see if a local hydraulic shop here could bend up a set but I am not sure if they could get the tight bends. I will hunt a set when I am bored at work tomorrow.

?Waldo? wrote:

I'm not familiar with that coolant sensor and so I would also suspect the aux coolant pump.

Well go with that then. I tried ground the lead to see if it would turn on the pump but it didn't. Pump probably doesn't work. I seized from lack of use. Not much of a concern for me though.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Well, it started. 0F. It wasn't happy but it started.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: