Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intake/Carb questions 73 Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BiffBastion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Intake/Carb questions 73 Beetle Reply with quote

Hello, sorry as I am rather new to working on air cooled VWs...though not new to working on cars. I bought a 73 Beetle with a locked up engine. Then got another running 73 Beetle engine. I finally pulled the locked up motor out, but noticing different parts between the two. The first thing I noticed is the intakes. The one that runs came with a 34 PICT and the intake heater lines gone. Then the other with the lines intact was in the car. I have a mix of 30/31 carbs and another 34 PICT. I noticed the carb flange is different on both intakes. Can anyone help tell me what the one with the heater lines came off of? I tried checking the numbers, but just added more confusion. Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake/Carb questions 73 Beetle Reply with quote

"Heater lines" are often called preheat pipes or heat risers. Your manifold with those pipes has the part number ...701AN. Same one as I redid last summer, with same "smooth" pipe under the carb flange, and the small pipe nipple off to the left under the carb flange. It came from a 1600 engine with the code "AK", which is from a '73 model year Beetle. You'd need to refer to a Beetle parts catalog to see the model year applicability of that part number. Possibly was already used a year before. I also have a similar manifold with P/N...701 AH. That one does not have the small pipe nipple on the down-tube.

Your other manifold "could" be from an industrial engine. Have you tried the 30 PICT carb to see if the studs fit into the carb flange? Stud spacing is tighter on those carbs than on 34 PICTs.
BiffBastion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Intake/Carb questions 73 Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks Rome. I will take a look at that and see if the other carb will fit. Though I do not want to remove it as I know that was working on the running engine. I know my distributor is a DVDA, so upon reading looks like I need to keep with that carb. I believe I have (2) 30/31s that are in unknown condition. Still taking inventory Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: