Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Black plastic alternator ring
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Ray - it limits how how much air can flow out around the alternator - sealing the engine bay. There is even that small plate that covers the adjustment screw.

I'd guess it is hottest when the engine is turned off after a long heat soak cycle. In a bus on a hot day like after a climb and stop to get gas etc. - maybe 250 F - 290 F. Just a guess

Thanks. Kind of what I thought originally. That function....limiting air outflow.....would probably be more of a "bus critical" thing as compared to a 412. There is virtually no airflow in or out of our engine bays as they are fotally sealed.

From memory....the 412 version of this ring is just a fairly plain ring maybe 3/4" wide. No lug to go around the clamping bolt. And yea...we have the plastix clamp bolt plug too.

Ray

Yes! That bolt cover too. Have a few with one tab broken off. Haven’t got around to a farm fix yet.
LeeE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

I drew the sketch for the ring; glad someone remembers it. I also did a "farm fix" for the adjuster cover, this shows both, still in place after many years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

That's quite elegant for a farm fix. The block off on the fresh air duct hole isn't bad either.
kool kombi 79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

Now Available from . . .

Malcolm Engineering Australia

https://www.malcolmengineering.com.au/vw-kombi-alternator-seal

International postage varies, please contact us for a postal quote.

Malcolm Engineering
0407 916 816
[email protected]
www.malcolmengineering.com.au
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

Nice!! Any chance of you getting with a distributor in the US? Busdepot, in the past, has been really receptive to offering parts like these.
kool kombi 79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

Will be talking to a US VW parts store soon.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

Excellent! Yes, please let us know when these are stateside!

Thank you for your service to the community,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

76-79? i thought that design was the early and late was just a round seal.
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

Quite cool to see a thread I started ten years ago looking for an NLA part has resulted in the development of a 3D printed model, and now a full-blown replacement part in production.

I got my replacement seal from either Busted Bus or the classifieds here (I can't remember which now), and it's held up nicely all these years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

Hi all,

For a while I've been missing this one "tin" piece and that is the alternator seal. After a few emails back and forth between Dale Malcom and myself, I ordered one up from Malcom Engineering in Australia. My Westy is a '73 but I believe I have the later alternator tin which, I think, has the larger opening. To me this is ok as it seems to allow for more range of belt adjustment as long as you use the wider, later, seal. The T4 engine tins are fairly available around here and elsewhere from my experience but it's the little things like this that aren't. Anyway, the place is called Malcom Engineering out of Austrialia. The cost was about 55 bucks in total (35 for the seal and 20 for shipping), after the conversion rate and took less than a week to get to NorCal - and Australia Post sent updates along the way.

I installed it in about an hour and it fits very well. Seems to have the correct bend and shape on the bolt tab and also has the correct shape / cut to go around and just miss the dipstick tube and lower alternator bolt. All in all, I'm happy. I was going to make one from a fuel can or antifreeze jug as was mentioned in a few posts but the thickness and raised lip around the inner circle was what I could not duplicate so I figured "what the hell"... at 55 bucks shipped for the last piece of sealing tin that I needed was not a bad deal. And maybe it's all in my head but I did a couple of freeway runs of about 8 miles each way sustained at 65 mph and my CHTs seem to be a few degrees lower than previous test runs at the same speed and road stretch (same ambient air temp and very little, if any wind resistence); I'll take that, thank you. Pics below.

I hope the 3D printing on this from the members here pans out but this seems to be a good additional source, if it helps.

Mikey
'73 Pop-top Westy, found sitting in a field for 10+ years, cleaned up, rebuilt furniture, reloved. Original 1.7 block/fully polished crank, 93mm 1.8L balanced AA pistons & cylinders, new 1.8L balanced rods, HAM 42/36 heads, Scat C25 cam & lubalobe lifters, Dual HPMX40s, R2C filters w/ Outerwears pre-filters, functioning thermostat & flaps, Pertronix Flamethrower III, 4-1 exhaust w/ Cherry Bomb 2" turbo muffler & OEM heater boxes, averages about 19-22ish on the highway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

Well, I wish I would have known these were being manufactured again. I fabbed my own from a pattern found here. It’s not perfect, but it’s working just fine after 3 years.

MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

Hey man.. whatever works and lasts, right? It took me a while to find it but hopefully it will help others who may not have the skill, time, etc. to fab one up.

OH.. Almost forgot... so the little tab with the bolt space - that just fits around the bolt and is held in by tin to alternator pressure on the seal, right? It doesn't actually get tighted down under the bolt, correct? I would think that would break the little ears and probably be unnecessary.

Later - Mikey
'73 Pop-top Westy, found sitting in a field for 10+ years, cleaned up, rebuilt furniture, reloved. Original 1.7 block/fully polished crank, 93mm 1.8L balanced AA pistons & cylinders, new 1.8L balanced rods, HAM 42/36 heads, Scat C25 cam & lubalobe lifters, Dual HPMX40s, R2C filters w/ Outerwears pre-filters, functioning thermostat & flaps, Pertronix Flamethrower III, 4-1 exhaust w/ Cherry Bomb 2" turbo muffler & OEM heater boxes, averages about 19-22ish on the highway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

it sits around the bolt so that the ring slides with the alternator.
MikeyM73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, that makes sense.
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread. Now that it's 3 years later and 3D printing technology is ever-improving, I wanted to see if anyone that had modeled this in CAD would be willing to shoot it over to me so I can 3D print my own.

Malcolm Engineering does not ship to the States, and I'm confident I can print it here on a buddy's machine for pennies.

I reached out to gatorjos above to see if he'd give me the model, but it appears he hasn't been on here in quite a while.

Can anyone help?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

I think a couple people posted the dimensions - you should be able to set up a cad file from one of those.

Also - have you contacted Dave directly to see if he will make you one or send you a copy of the CAD file to do your own? One thing that stood out to me is you bragged you could make one for pennies. If you came to me and cheaped out on something I might have spent a lot of hours making a design for, I guarantee you that I would not work with you. It is like saying, you can mow my yard with your mower, and I'll pay for the gas but not your time.

The contact info is:
Dale Malcolm
Malcolm Engineering
0407 916 816
malcolmengineering at gmail.com
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I think a couple people posted the dimensions - you should be able to set up a cad file from one of those.

Also - have you contacted Dave directly to see if he will make you one or send you a copy of the CAD file to do your own? One thing that stood out to me is you bragged you could make one for pennies. If you came to me and cheaped out on something I might have spent a lot of hours making a design for, I guarantee you that I would not work with you. It is like saying, you can mow my yard with your mower, and I'll pay for the gas but not your time.

The contact info is:
Dale Malcolm
Malcolm Engineering
0407 916 816

As stated, I have indeed contacted Dave and as I said, he doesn't ship to the States. I was not looking for Dave to send me his model. Rather, I was looking for others in this very thread who had done their own 3D prints to provide me their model.

Interesting choice of words you used, "bragged". I would have gone more along the lines of "fact", given the price of filament. But hey, you do you. Perhaps 3D printing is not in your wheelhouse.

Whatever, I'll model it myself.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

wrxnofx wrote:
SGKent wrote:

The contact info is:
Dale Malcolm
Malcolm Engineering
0407 916 816

As stated, I have indeed contacted Dave and as I said, he doesn't ship to the States. I was not looking for Dave to send me his model. Rather, I was looking for others in this very thread who had done their own 3D prints to provide me their model.

Interesting choice of words you used, "bragged". I would have gone more along the lines of "fact", given the price of filament. But hey, you do you. Perhaps 3D printing is not in your wheelhouse.

Whatever, I'll model it myself.

And then you can sell copies you made here in the states Smile VW sells them at VW Classic De every once in awhile. I usually grab a couple when they have them because the heat does get to them. Also - Mick says he has them @$31.09 USD ($41.28 AUD). I've bought stuff from him before. https://www.mickmotors.com.au/product-seal-alternator-ty4-plastic-14179.aspx
wrxnofx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

How hard is this seal? Any idea of durometer? I’m thinking 60d or 80d?

Is it squishy at all? Does it deform when assembled between the tin and alternator?
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Black plastic alternator ring Reply with quote

It's hard. I don't know durometers very well but I'd guess over 100.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: