Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New kingpin seals have snapped and fallen off - advice pleas
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lee griffiths
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So can we even get compensation now from WW and the hassle the product is causing ? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to an o ring supplier years ago and got some fat nitrile o rings and have been using them ever since with no problems. I'm pretty sure ww will eventually step up and sort it out, but forget about any compensation, I'm sure something about thAt is in their terms of sale.
X2 about what everyone says about better quality vs mOre expensive, most people will still be lead on Price alone. Sad but true
llovette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WideFive wrote:
llovette wrote:
had Aaron from ohio do mine last August. The same for me, they split after only about 2 weeks. I reused original VW . 45 years old these seals are.

Just to clarify... STOCK rebuild and those were the "stock" style seals for the link pins NOT the king pin seals, correct?

I've been using the o-ring type seal since I started doing spindles. I have not personally had a failure or been notified about any customers having a king pin seal fail.

Thanks.

Yes!! The seals that split were for the link pins. Just to be very clear, Your stock rebuilt spindles quality is second to none and could'nt be happier with there performance almost 1 year later
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here.......I talked with both Tony and Rich about this months ago with no solution given for the problem.

Wait til you guys try the $125 plus hubcaps that they are selling, from Wolfsburg Classics.....the factory VW parts program Embarassed

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those seals have been complete garbage for years. Considering the amount of effort it takes to put in a new set it's criminal that they are even allowed into the marketplace. Cleaned up used ones are the way to go. I had a set of the crap ones split and ended up finding thin 1/4 inch wide worm clamps that I put around each one. At least I can squirt in grease and a fair amount of water stays out. I bought some new VW-Audi Brazilian seals to put on but never did. They are still good in the box but that proves nothing.
runderwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are completely shot as well. Didn't last at all.
Anyone know the size o-ring that works for this?
McMaster-Carr seems to have a nice selection ( http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings )... now to just know which is the correct material and size...
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m about to put some spindles on my panel and will need to find some O rings to rplace what`s left of the kingpin seals on them now. So if anyone knows the right size o ring to use it would save me some hassle. Thanks.
lee griffiths
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got any updates for seals ? My new Mango just in from the US has dropped spindles - they don't look too old, but several of the seals are gone Sad

I've been thinking about o-rings or alternatives. How about silicone coolant hose sliced into rings ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Metre-Silicone-Straigh...4cfc57e199

or regular rubber hoses sliced ?

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/38mm_Id_90Deg_Rubber_Hose_Bend_H9038

Lee
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the answer has been discussed above, o rings.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the black rubber WW is using these days is JUNK! I have had a set of decklid hinge seals on my decklid for 4 months and they are already cracking badly! No doubt they are made of the same rubber!
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After "knocking" the O-ring concept for many years I finally got fed up when I had about 50 Wolfsburg West kingpin seals fail after having a batch of rebuilt spindle sit on the shelf unused for six months. Amazingly I had almost zero complaints from customers about them before that point and I had used a ton of them.

Since then, I've been using part #9452K44 from Mcmaster Carr in all our spindle rebuilds.

It's listed as Buna-N O-Ring AS568A Dash Number 325

I also tried the "hard" Buna-N O-rings they sell but found them slightly difficult to install in colder weather. The part number listed above seems to work fine and I have received no complaints with them. I haven't seen one crack or split yet. Buna rubber is supposed to hold up well to gas, grease, and oil.

If anyone has a better suggestion for o-rings feel free to let me know.

I've also had trouble with the WW breather pipe boots and the 2" fresh air tube seals. They usually crack and fail within about six months of use. The 2" seals don't get exposed to oil or gas but they likely do get warm sitting right above the exhaust.
RPGreg2600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:

I've also had trouble with the WW breather pipe boots and the 2" fresh air tube seals. They usually crack and fail within about six months of use. The 2" seals don't get exposed to oil or gas but they likely do get warm sitting right above the exhaust.

Oh yeah, my WW breather boot is cracking badly after a few months too, the fresh air seals are fine so far.
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had similar problems with swingaxle boots, front suspension tierod boots, irs CV joint boots, Type4 oil disptick seals, some engine pushrod seals, vw original (!) air seals for 50mm air tubes in engine compartment.

some also cracked also before betting oil/grease inside. just being in the garage during restoration.

very shitty parts.
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the going consensus is to use the Mcmaster Carr O rings?
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old post, I know.

I took apart my spindles from a 1963 double cab. This has the 1 year 1 ton suspension. All the parts appear to be original VW so I don't think this has ever been apart.

On both spindles, the top and kingpin seal was cracked and not reusable. The bottom was mostly missing. It has a VW on the inner surface but I could find no part number. This seal is quite a bit bigger in diameter than the other seals

The other seals in the middle were also OE VW but they have a part number of 211 405 439 and some other numbers 32836 and 2-12 on the inside.

I understood that all the kingpin and linkpin seals were the same.

I guess it's possible that the seal has swollen accounting for the size difference, but the missing part number on the inside has me wondering if there is a slightly different size for the Upper and possibly lower versus the center two and the linkpin seals on this 1 year only suspension?

Thoughts anyone?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are all the same, early, late, '63 1-ton, barndoor, etc. Feel free to review the parts list.
Scott'sVR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New kingpin seals have snapped and fallen off - advice pleas Reply with quote

This is a good way to do it without pressing them apart. Buy o-rings and spend 40$ on this loctite 404 which is designed specifically for gluing o-rings. One drop and about 5 seconds and you physically cant rip apart the joint! cut your o-rings, wrap them around and apply a drop of glue, literally can do the whole job in about 5 minutes with little disassembly.
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New kingpin seals have snapped and fallen off - advice pleas Reply with quote

I sell correct seals make from the correct rubber that will not crack or split when grease touches them.
I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: